Windows 10: Cannot apply changes to folder view options

Discus and support Cannot apply changes to folder view options in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Have been using windows 10 for a few months and the other day had this update from windows that changed all my preferred settings, especially my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mat98, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Mat98 Win User

Cannot apply changes to folder view options

Hi
    Have been using windows 10 for a few months and the other day had this update from windows that changed all my
    preferred settings, especially my preferred view type for my mp3 music folders and I cannot select apply changes in view in folder options, it's just gray not selectable like i could before the update or upgrade. any help would be appreciated thank you.

:)

Mat98, Aug 27, 2017

2. File Explorer Column Headings Keep Resetting

Thanks but the button I have is Apply To Folders which did not work. I do not see an option for
    Apply To All Folders as you mentioned? I went to View, Options, Change Folder and Search Options, View, Apply To Folders. Is this what you were meaning?

Screentan#1, Aug 27, 2017
  3. How can I set a default so that files and folders are displayed using the view option "LIST"

Open File Explorer by using key combination Windows Key + E and navigate to the folder you want to use as a source for view layout settings.

2. Navigate to the View tab in ribbon bar on the top and change the settings per your wish. You can change the layout and choose the folder details to display, add extra panes, adjust column width, etc.

Set a default Folder View for all folders

3. Once done with the changes, click Options to open Folder Options window.

4. Click the View tab in Folder Options window.

5. Click on Apply to Folders button.

How to apply a folder's view settings to all folders in Windows 10

6. Click Yes on the confirmation window that pops up.

How to apply a folder's view settings to all folders in Windows 10

7. Click OK on the Folder Options window to save the settings.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 27, 2017
  4. pepanee Win User

You're not doing a search within the folder before going to go to the location to press that button, right?

pepanee, Aug 27, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 27, 2017
  6. Try3 Win User
    Mat,

I hope Brink's tutorial helps you set your folder views up again. When that is done then you could usefully back them up so that you can quickly restore them if a future Windows update changes them again - see Backup and restore Default folder views - Forum article

Denis

7. Mat98 Win User
    Thank you so much guy's for that, worked beautifully and sorry for the newb question because it was getting a little frustrating. thanks again.

Mat98, Aug 28, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Glad we could help. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot apply changes to folder view options - Similar Threads - Cannot apply changes

2. Folder Options, View, Apply to Folders: Can I not set the whole drive and all...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder Options, View, Apply to Folders: Can I not set the whole drive and all...: Just did a new Win7 install and as can be expected there are lots of surprises. I just want to set the Folder Options, View, "Apply to Folders" so everything is consistent from top to bottom. But I can't do this from the hard drive letter. I can't even do this with...
  3. Folder Options, View, Apply to Folders: Can I not set the whole drive and all...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder Options, View, Apply to Folders: Can I not set the whole drive and all...: Just did a new Win7 install and as can be expected there are lots of surprises. I just want to set the Folder Options, View, "Apply to Folders" so everything is consistent from top to bottom. But I can't do this from the hard drive letter. I can't even do this with...
  4. Folder view option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder view option: How to always show folders as icons and show files as thumbnails? I went to Folder Option -> View tab and see that this two settings goes together https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-view-option/5a0d8e1d-8e72-4268-a547-15d778310392
  5. Folder view option

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder view option: How to always show folders as icons and show files as thumbnails? I went to Folder Option -> View tab and see that this two settings goes together https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-view-option/5a0d8e1d-8e72-4268-a547-15d778310392
  6. Folder view option

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Change folder view options

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change folder view options: Hi. I want to permanently change the folder view options but what I want to do isn't available under the "Options" & "View" dialogue box. I would like to have the following columns in all my folders every time I open them: Name - Date Modified - Size - Path. That's all. The...
  8. Windows 10 folder view options are applying to ALL folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 folder view options are applying to ALL folders: So it was my understanding that when you go into view options, and click "Apply to Folders" that it only applies to folders of a that type. For me, it seems to be a blanket setting. Am i misunderstanding how its supposed to function? I go into my videos folder and set...
  9. Changing to List View but Apply to All Folders is grayed out

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing to List View but Apply to All Folders is grayed out: Since XP, I've been able to change my folder view then click on Apply to All Folders. This seems buggy in Windows 10 [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-to-list-view-but-apply-to-all-folders-is/1fee229d-6335-4009-bcbb-55b3f8ca8911"
  10. in file folder view options for changing the view are greyed out

in Windows 10 Customization
    in file folder view options for changing the view are greyed out: the options to change the view from large icons is greyed out https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-file-folder-view-options-for-changing-the-view/70c13404-1fa8-47aa-a9da-96d6835b8ce1