Windows 10: Cannot Assign Drive Letter

Discus and support Cannot Assign Drive Letter in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Normally when a drive has no drive letter, I can assign one in disk manager but not this time. Disk Manager does not provide the option of assigning... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by iamjim, Jun 2, 2018.

1. iamjim Win User

Cannot Assign Drive Letter

Normally when a drive has no drive letter, I can assign one in disk manager but not this time.

Disk Manager does not provide the option of assigning a drive letter so I cannot use the drive???

Cannot Assign Drive Letter [​IMG]

:)

iamjim, Jun 2, 2018

2. Unable to assign drive letter to SSD partition

Hi,

Depending upon the number of partition and connected hardware devices Windows assigns a drive letter with which the drive is referenced. Windows uses
    MountMgr to manage drive letters. MountMgr will assign the next available drive letter to each device added, regardless of type. With the system drive assigned the letter C:, there may be other IDE, SATA or USB devices, such
    as a DVD ROM or a Flash drive assigned to letters D: and E:. When adding another drive, Windows will assign the next drive letter available, which in this case would be drive letter H:

Drive letters can usually be manually changed using Disk Management, however there may be some exceptions. In your case, the drive letter C was already used by other drive therefore drive assigned by Windows 10 Technical Preview.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

Anish A Kumar, Jun 11, 2018
  3. How to assign drive letter to external hard drive in Windows 10

Hi @littleangelbsb1!

I'm sorry to hear about your issues, I know this could be very frustrating experience.

Since there is no data left on the drive and you want to reformat it as well (since you've wanted to go with "select new simple volume and assign letter") you can try to do that via CMD rather than do this in Disk Management. Just follow
    these steps:

1. Press 'Win + X', and click/tap on Command Prompt, or Command Prompt (Admin) to open it in Administrator mode.

2. After that type 'list disk', press Enter.

3. Type 'select disk X (where X is the number your drive shows up as)', press Enter and type 'clean', press Enter.

4. After that type 'create partition primary', press Enter, type 'format quick fs=ntfs', press Enter, type 'assign letter=F (or the letter you want to assign to the drive)', press Enter and lastly - type 'exit'.

Hope this helps and let me know how it went. Cannot Assign Drive Letter :)

MightyMiro_WD, Jun 11, 2018
Thema:

Cannot Assign Drive Letter

1. Cannot Assign Drive Letter - Similar Threads - Cannot Assign Drive

2. Unable to assign a drive letter to an external drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to assign a drive letter to an external drive.: I'm Using Windows 11. I have a few hard drives that I want to use in an external dock. for storage. I have one that shows up healthy and online in Disk Manager and it shows in Device Manager. No drive letter is assigned and Disk Manager won't let me assign one. It also does...
  3. Drive letter not assigned to removable drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive letter not assigned to removable drive: I admit it - I shot myself in the foot. At some time in the past I must have permanently assigned a drive letter to a USB flash memory drive (stick). Today I decided I should let Windows just assign the next available drive letter as it does for other removable devices (and...
  4. Assigning Drive Letter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Assigning Drive Letter: I am trying to assign a particular letter to one of my hard drives. None of my other drives are assigned that letter, but it is not listed in the choices. Is there something I can do?...
  5. Order of drive letter assignment

in Windows 10 Customization
    Order of drive letter assignment: I have a desktop system with a C drive (SSD), a D (Raid SATA) , E (SSD). I also have an Epson WP-4535 connected via a USB port. For whatever reason, Windows assigns the next three drive letters to the printer, I'm not clear why. These assignments don't show up explorer, or...
  6. Assign a drive letter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Assign a drive letter: When I plug an external hard drive to my PC (Windows 10) via the USB, the computer does not recognize it in Windows Explorer. I have to go into Disk Management to assign the drive a letter before I can see it in Windows Explorer. Is there an option in Windows 10 to...
  7. Change drive letters assigned

Change drive letters assigned: Haven't done this in a while. Never in W-10 Want to move and reassign: On Disk 0 (F) becomes (D) 15 MB assigned by OS On Disk 1 (H) becomes (E) Second SSD drive On Disk 2 (D) becomes (F) First HDD used for storage On Disk 3 (E) becomes (G) External 1 GB for File History,...
  8. Change assigned drive letters

in Windows 10 Support
    Change assigned drive letters: Haven't done this in a while. Never in W-10 Want to move and reassign: On Disk 0 (F) becomes (D) 15 MB assigned by OS On Disk 1 (H) becomes (E) Second SSD drive On Disk 2 (D) becomes (F) First HDD used for storage On Disk 3 (E) becomes (G) External 1 GB for File History,...
  9. Trouble Assigning Drive Letters

Trouble Assigning Drive Letters: Okay, I recently moved my complete MAME set to an external hd, which my computer designated "D." I also backed up my computer to a separate external hd, which my computer designated as "K." I want the backup hd to be "D" and the MAME hd to be something else. I selected...
  10. Cannot assign a drive letter

Cannot assign a drive letter: Hi folk. I have an external drive where the electronics of the case has failed. I have switched the drive into my pc so that I can use it as an internal drive. The drive is still operational but I cannot see it listed in my drives. Opening up disk manager shows the drive is...