Windows 10: Cannot boot from USB or DVD and cannot access UEFI

Discus and support Cannot boot from USB or DVD and cannot access UEFI in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; HP HP Pavilion Desktop PC 570-pOXX. Windows 10 Home (X64) Version 1703 (build 15063.540) I've already posted about the usb part Will Win 10 pc boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tcebob, Aug 12, 2017.

1. tcebob Win User

Cannot boot from USB or DVD and cannot access UEFI

HP HP Pavilion Desktop PC 570-pOXX. Windows 10 Home (X64) Version 1703 (build 15063.540)

I've already posted about the usb part Will Win 10 pc boot from usb? - Windows 10 Forums but I'd like to expand the scope.

In brief, no combination of key presses at bootup will bring a menu to boot from x or open UEFI. The only menu I can raise is the HP troubleshooter (F2 and F9 alternately). This does have a boot menu but it does not list the DVD or the USB bootable drive. The choices are a bit cryptic but any choice leads to a regular boot to hard drive.

So I am considering reinstalling Win 10 and getting rid of HP's addons. But before that
    I'd really like to fix the problem. (I was thinking of buying a different pc when one of my other problems, not being able to burn to DVD, suddenly solved itself. My Win10 does not have dvr burner Solved - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums.)

:)

tcebob, Aug 12, 2017
  2. Kikkak22 Win User

My computer is stuck in a reboot loop

Hi, I cannot perform those instructions for a clean install because I need to access my BIOS/UEFI setup screen in order to change the boot order to boot from a CD, DVD or USB. It says that I need to press a certain button (in my case it's delete) to get
    to that screen, but the keyboard is unresponsive.

Kikkak22, Aug 12, 2017
  3. Andre Da Costa, Aug 12, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

The first thing to check would be do you have fast startup enabled? You may not get the option to open UEFI during a fast startup, only with a full start up from cold. Either disable fast startup then shut down and start up, or select 'Restart' on the Start menu's power button which will also perform a cold boot.

My older BIOS based system skips its 'enter BIOS/choose boot device' screen when it does a fast startup. I would expect a UEFI system to do the same.

5. NavyLCDR New Member
    From A Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell (Admin) run:

shutdown /r /f /t 00

NavyLCDR, Aug 12, 2017
  6. tcebob Win User
    Bree: I turned off fast startup long ago.

NavyLCDR: Good to know but has no effect on the boot process. Still can't get menu.

tcebob, Aug 12, 2017
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

try turning off Secure boot and if you can get into BIOS enable legacy boot then try again.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 12, 2017
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there @tcebob

try turning off Secure boot and if you can get into BIOS enable legacy boot then try again.

IMO for things like home computers (not locked down corporate laptops) secure boot is an abomination . Simply get rid of it. You can of course continue to boot from UEFI devices.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 12, 2017
  9. tcebob Win User
    Great idea, jimbo. But how can I do that? Looked up in google and the advice I found was to open Advanced Startup in Settings and click restart now. I'm gonna do that (again, just to be sure) but I don't think it's going to work . . .

tcebob, Aug 12, 2017
  10. tcebob Win User
    Attachment 148722Attachment 148723Attachment 148724Attachment 148725

Here are some snapshots of the screens seen after Settings/Recovery/Advanced Startup (which worked). There is an option to open UEFI firmware setting. If I follow this far enough I get Boot Order, which includes usb and dvd. I believe it's possible to change the order but didn't dare. Perhaps that means that if the dvd is first it will use it and if no dvd disk is present it will try the next (which would be Hard Drive). But I don't know and, frankly, I'm too chicken to try it. In order to use this it demands that secure boot be disabled. But Secure boot warns in bright white on red that it only applies to Windows 8 and if it doesn't work the computer won't boot. Can I do this on Win 10?

tcebob, Aug 13, 2017
  11. Usually, the BIOS will check each device in the list of boot devices. Starting with the first top most item. Then move on to the next item if the previous one was not bootable or not preset. If the optical drive is first in the list, but doesn't have a disk in it, its skipped and the next device in the list is checked. If no bootable device is found you usually get "Missing boot device" or similar message with a press this key to enter setup. The key you press varies by manufacturer but will be specifically listed in the message. That's the way its always worked for me.

alphanumeric, Aug 13, 2017
  12. tcebob Win User
    That's what I thought. Thanks for the affirmation.

tcebob, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot boot from USB or DVD and cannot access UEFI - Similar Threads - Cannot boot USB

2. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery: I'll try to be as clear as possible even though English is not my mother tongue. I installed last night windows 10 64bit to my HP Pavilion 15-b109so, which originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled. I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows and also to install Prime OS, so...
  3. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery: I'll try to be as clear as possible even though English is not my mother tongue. I installed last night windows 10 64bit to my HP Pavilion 15-b109so, which originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled. I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows and also to install Prime OS, so...
  4. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery: I'll try to be as clear as possible even though English is not my mother tongue.I installed last night windows 10 64bit to my HP Pavilion 15-b109so, which originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled.I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows and also to install Prime OS, so I...
  5. Cannot switch to UEFI from Legacy boot

Cannot switch to UEFI from Legacy boot: I have an Acer Aspire E5-575G and was using the new PC Health Check application by Microsoft which has the new option to check if my computer is compatible for Windows 11. It's not, and it mentions the problem is that Secure Boot is not enabled.When I try to switch in BIOS...
  6. Cannot boot from USB Windows 10 UEFI

Cannot boot from USB Windows 10 UEFI: I'm having difficulty booting from a USB flash drive. Although the USB drive appears in the boot menu, when clicked the screen goes blank, then sends me back to the boot menu within seconds. I have tried using several different USB creation utilities, including Rufus. This...
  7. Cannot Boot from USB

Cannot Boot from USB: Hi, I am trying to install win 10 from USB stick on a VAIO VGN FZ160E. The current OS is Win7x64, which I installed from a USB stick about 7 years ago. I have the following situation: Booting from USB doesn't work from any of USB ports. Booting from USB doesn't also work...
  8. Cannot set 'boot from USB DVD'

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot set 'boot from USB DVD': I have a new HP X360 14-ba151sa with Insyde BIOS. Yesterday I created a Macrium recovery disk, went into BIOS and moved USB CD/DVD to top of the list, F10 and exit. The system booted from DVD OK. Today, I wanted to boot from the DVD again, but this time the little arrow is...
  9. UEFI laptop, booting from DVD or USB fails

UEFI laptop, booting from DVD or USB fails: Hi On this new laptop which appears to have UEFI and Legacy BIOS settings, setting UEFI settings to boot from DVD or USB first in order to run a bootable format disc to preformat before a clean install has thrown an error message that ..."boot from [xx device] failed."...
  10. Cannot Boot From USB

Cannot Boot From USB: Currently, I am using Wiindows 7 Home Premium x86 with the drive in MBR partition style. I tried to make a bootable USB of latest Windows 10 x86 ISO with Rufus in this configuration: GPT partition Scheme for UEFI FAT32 4096 bytes Quick Format Create extended label and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. boot from usb in windows 10 but can not access uefi