Windows 10: Cannot Boot From USB

Discus and support Cannot Boot From USB in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Currently, I am using Wiindows 7 Home Premium x86 with the drive in MBR partition style. I tried to make a bootable USB of latest Windows 10 x86 ISO... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by VJTigas, Nov 19, 2015.

1. VJTigas Win User

Cannot Boot From USB

Currently, I am using Wiindows 7 Home Premium x86 with the drive in MBR partition style.

I tried to make a bootable USB of latest Windows 10 x86 ISO with Rufus in this configuration:
    GPT partition Scheme for UEFI
    FAT32
    4096 bytes
    Quick Format
    Create extended label and icon files

When I try to boot from the flash drive, it just goes into a black screen, then returns to the boot menu.

I enabled both capabilities for UEFI and Legacy boot, UEFI is prioritized.

What is the problem? Do I have to reformat the drive first to GPT, or it's not supported? Thank you.

:)

VJTigas, Nov 19, 2015
  2. RogerRanz Win User

Windows 10 start menu has stopped working, Cortana/Search has stopped working and several desktop application icons have disappearred.

Thank you for responding. Unfortunately, after creating a USB drive to boot Windows 10, I cannot get my computer to boot from the USB drive. I cannot access the boot options when starting up my computer (Dell computer, F12 key). It just boots straight
    to Windows 10 from my hard drive. So, I cannot access the repair your computer option as suggested.

RogerRanz, Nov 19, 2015
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    Cannot dual boot or boot from usb/dvd.

Hi Bill,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and frustration you have been through. I will be glad to assist you.

1. Have you changed the boot priority to USB/DVD?

First you need to verify and if necessary change the boot order in the BIOS settings so that your PC will boot from the DVD drive (or USB device if you created a bootable USB Flash drive). You can do this by making the DVD drive / USB device the first device
    listed in the boot order and the hard (or SSD) drive your second device the BIOS, exit as save the BIOS changes.

I suggest you to follow the link suggested by J W Stuart on January 23, 2015.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-and-

windows-10-preview/9e9b6066-d99b-4d2f-84dc-38e646c3c6ae

Keep us informed if the issue is resolved. We are glad to help you further.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Nov 19, 2015
  4. VJTigas Win User

Cannot Boot From USB

Update:

I tried making a bootable USB with the same configuration in Rufus, except I made it compatible for Legacy BIOS.
    I successfully booted the USB. But I want to install Windows 10 in UEFI, any solution?

In the BIOS Settings, booting to both UEFI and Legacy BIOS mode is supported.

VJTigas, Nov 19, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would try letting the Media Creation Tool make the USB flash drive:
    Windows 10

You want the blue box near the bottom of the page "Download tool now".

Then try booting that flash drive in UEFI mode.

NavyLCDR, Nov 19, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    Some BIOS will try to boot USB in Legacy mode instead of UEFI and fail. To make sure you can press F8 (or whatever it is) to see the boot menu and then manually select the UEFI option for your USB flash drive. This will start with UEFI and your Flash model. If it doesn't start with UEFI it is legacy.

spapakons, Nov 20, 2015
  7. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Do you want to boot in UEFI mode for some particular reason? Do you think it will have any advantages?

eLPuSHeR, Nov 20, 2015
  8. VJTigas Win User

Cannot Boot From USB

Solved:
    While the PC is in UEFI mode, the Windows PE version must match the PC architecture. A PC in 64-bit UEFI firmware mode can only boot 64-bit versions of Windows PE. A PC in 32-bit UEFI firmware mode can only boot 32-bit versions of Windows PE. On PCs that support both UEFI mode and legacy BIOS mode, you may be able to run 32-bit Windows PE on a 64-bit PC by changing BIOS menu settings from “UEFI mode” to “BIOS mode”, assuming the manufacturer supports legacy BIOS mode.

I also read in murphy78's Windows 10 x86 ISO that it has UEFI support for 32-bit processors, while Windows 10 x64 ISO has UEFI support for 64-bit processors.

On my 64-bit UEFI system, I can just either install a Windows x64 in UEFI or a Windows x86 in Legacy BIOS Mode.

Sorry, this is my first device with UEFI.

VJTigas, Nov 20, 2015
  9. spapakons Win User
    Use legacy mode to have a peaceful mind. What's the benefit of installing in UEFI mode? I don't think your computer will boot any faster or devices can be more compatible. It's up to drivers how devices behave.

spapakons, Nov 20, 2015
  10. alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Cannot Boot From USB

1. Cannot Boot From USB - Similar Threads - Cannot Boot USB

2. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery: I'll try to be as clear as possible even though English is not my mother tongue. I installed last night windows 10 64bit to my HP Pavilion 15-b109so, which originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled. I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows and also to install Prime OS, so...
  3. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery: I'll try to be as clear as possible even though English is not my mother tongue. I installed last night windows 10 64bit to my HP Pavilion 15-b109so, which originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled. I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows and also to install Prime OS, so...
  4. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery: I'll try to be as clear as possible even though English is not my mother tongue.I installed last night windows 10 64bit to my HP Pavilion 15-b109so, which originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled.I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows and also to install Prime OS, so I...
  6. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery: I'll try to be as clear as possible even though English is not my mother tongue.I installed last night windows 10 64bit to my HP Pavilion 15-b109so, which originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled.I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows and also to install Prime OS, so I...
  7. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. cannot boot from windows 10 usb

cannot boot from windows 10 usb: as above cant boot from my widows 10 usb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-boot-from-windows-10-usb/addbacda-0515-452f-9f61-97eabe22a41c
  9. Cannot Boot from USB

Cannot Boot from USB: Hi, I am trying to install win 10 from USB stick on a VAIO VGN FZ160E. The current OS is Win7x64, which I installed from a USB stick about 7 years ago. I have the following situation: Booting from USB doesn't work from any of USB ports. Booting from USB doesn't also work...
  10. Cannot set 'boot from USB DVD'

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot set 'boot from USB DVD': I have a new HP X360 14-ba151sa with Insyde BIOS. Yesterday I created a Macrium recovery disk, went into BIOS and moved USB CD/DVD to top of the list, F10 and exit. The system booted from DVD OK. Today, I wanted to boot from the DVD again, but this time the little arrow is...