Windows 10: Cannot boot into BIOS with F2 or boot from CD or USB flash drive

Discus and support Cannot boot into BIOS with F2 or boot from CD or USB flash drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For some unknown reason, for the past couple of days, I can only boot my ASUS X750JA laptop normally into Windows 10 (Home). Previously, after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by robst247, Jul 30, 2016.

1. robst247 Win User

Cannot boot into BIOS with F2 or boot from CD or USB flash drive

For some unknown reason, for the past couple of days, I can only boot my ASUS X750JA laptop normally into Windows 10 (Home). Previously, after Shift+Restart, I used to be able to enter BIOS setup with F2. Now, whenever I try this, the screen remains black and nothing happens: the disk LED does not even flicker!
    In future, to restore a system partition backup if anything goes awry with my Windows 10 installation, I need to be able to boot up from a bootable USB flash drive or CD-ROM including software such as AOMEI Backupper or Terabyte Image for Windows. But how will I ever be able to do that if I can't get into BIOS to enable Launch CSM, disable Secure Boot Control and then set the desired boot priority? I seem to be scuppered. *Mad
    Also, I have successfully made a Windows 10 System Image, but when I practice restoring it from the Advanced Startup screen (just because I want to know how this works in advance of any problems), I again get stuck in a black screen with no disk activity. *Confused
    Additionally, I tried to make a Windows Recovery USB flash drive, starting from Recovery in the Control Panel. Even though I click the option "Back up system files to the recovery drive", which should add several GB, all that's been written to the flash drive is the basic WinRE package. *cry
    It seems as if everything I'm trying to do is being blocked by the M$ demons. This is exacerbating my paranoia. *Cool
    Can anyone help? Ahead of the Anniversary Update, I want to know that I can restore my EFI system and C partitions if anything goes wrong ... or indeed at any point in the future.

:)

robst247, Jul 30, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Windows 10

Sorry Devin, I mis-read your question . . .

To boot from a Flash Drive or CD:

Insert the Flash Drive or CD

When your laptop starts, on the Lenovo Screen, you will see text like 'Press F2 to enter Setup' - it generally is tthe F2 or Del key. Repeatedly press this key on the Lenovo screen to Enter BIOS

Once in BIOS, you need to change the **** order so the flash drive or CD is top of the boot order list

Then save BIOS settings (usually F10) and restart to **** from the removable media!

DaveM121, Jul 30, 2016
  3. Andre Da Costa, Jul 30, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Jul 30, 2016
  5. robst247 Win User
    Hi NavyLCDR,
    I already tried that method via the Advanced Startup screen. After clicking on Troubleshoot then UEFI Firmware settings I just got a black screen. No Restart button to click. :-( Then, when I restart, the laptop boots normally into Windows 10. Nothing is working for me. I'll try EasyUEFI next. Thanks.
    Can anyone else offer a solution?
    Cheers, Rob

robst247, Jul 31, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Turn off Windows 10 fast startup:
    Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

With fast startup turned on, when you turn off your computer and it does not shut down all the way back to a complete 100% UEFI startup and, therefore, you won't have the opportunity to tap the key to enter UEFI setup. If you turn off fast startup, it shuts down the computer 100% all the way every time and then when you start it back up tapping the key to enter UEFI setup should work. It depends on your specific computer which key it is to enter UEFI setup.

NavyLCDR, Jul 31, 2016
  7. robst247 Win User
    I've tried disabling Fast Boot and I've tried EasyUEFI as you suggested, but nothing works! All I can do is boot normally into Windows 10. According to the ASUS manual for this laptop, BIOS can be entered by pressing F2 on startup and Advanced Startup can be entered by pressing F9 on startup. Until a couple of days ago, F2 got me into the BIOS. But now, whatever I do - trying to access BIOS, UEFI or Restore System Image - I always get into that dead-end black screen and zero hard-disk activity. *Mad
    With EasyUEFI, I did manage to create a CD-ROM boot entry and give it top priority, but on rebooting - even though the CD-DVD drive span up and the bootable disk was being read - the laptop started up normally into Windows 10. Nothing I try works; I'm getting totally frustrated. It's as if there's a lock on the computer blocking all options except normal startup.
    I did read someone that if Secure Boot Control is enabled, you cannot boot from a USB stick or CD-ROM. Previously, I managed to disable Secure Boot Control after entering the BIOS with F2, but that no longer works! I'm stuck, and I have no idea how to remedy this.

robst247, Jul 31, 2016
  8. bobkn Win User

I know little about Secure Boot, but I have booted from a USB drive to do a clean install of 10 on a UEFI system. Without changing the UEFI settings from their defaults.

Not sure what to suggest. Have you cleared the CMOS? (That's one way to assure that fast boot is off; it usually is in the default UEFI settings.)

bobkn, Jul 31, 2016
  9. robst247 Win User
    I finally solved the problem by flashing the BIOS to the latest version from within Windows 10 (using the ASUS WinFlash utility). Then after shutting down and pressing the power button, I managed to enter the BIOS setup screen - finally! - by repeatedly pressing F2 rather than keeping it depressed. (This, on the advice of ASUS phone support.) I then restored the standard BIOS settings using F9, enabled Launch CSM and disabled Secure Boot. Now everything's working perfectly! What a relief!

robst247, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot boot into BIOS with F2 or boot from CD or USB flash drive - Similar Threads - Cannot boot BIOS

2. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery: I'll try to be as clear as possible even though English is not my mother tongue. I installed last night windows 10 64bit to my HP Pavilion 15-b109so, which originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled. I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows and also to install Prime OS, so...
  3. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery: I'll try to be as clear as possible even though English is not my mother tongue. I installed last night windows 10 64bit to my HP Pavilion 15-b109so, which originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled. I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows and also to install Prime OS, so...
  4. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery: I'll try to be as clear as possible even though English is not my mother tongue.I installed last night windows 10 64bit to my HP Pavilion 15-b109so, which originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled.I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows and also to install Prime OS, so I...
  6. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery: I'll try to be as clear as possible even though English is not my mother tongue.I installed last night windows 10 64bit to my HP Pavilion 15-b109so, which originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled.I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows and also to install Prime OS, so I...
  7. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

8. Aptio bios not booting from USB Drive

Aptio bios not booting from USB Drive: I have a Dell Inspiron 14 and does not have any operating system. I have a usb with Windows 10 and there is no option to boot from usb. There is a option to boot a single file but not the whole usb....
  9. Aptio bios not booting from USB Drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Aptio bios not booting from USB Drive: I have a Dell Inspiron 14 and does not have any operating system. I have a usb with Windows 10 and there is no option to boot from usb. There is a option to boot a single file but not the whole usb....
  10. Unable to boot from USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to boot from USB Flash Drive: I just tried to create a bootable USB stick for Macrium Reflect on my Dell AIO. The creation went smoothly as did the boot. When I took that stick to my Acer Laptop and tried to boot it I got a message saying, "Remove disk or other menu" followed by "Press any key to...