Windows 10: Cannot boot into windows 10

Discus and support Cannot boot into windows 10 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Pc specs: EVGA Classified k Z170 motherboard 2 asus turbo gtx 1080's Intel 6600k cpu cooled by noctua d15 32gb Gskill ram @2400 Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by libr8r, Nov 18, 2017.

1. libr8r Win User

Cannot boot into windows 10

Pc specs:

EVGA Classified k Z170 motherboard

2 asus turbo gtx 1080's

Intel 6600k cpu cooled by noctua d15

32gb Gskill ram @2400

Windows 10 home

Samsung 950pro 256gb OS drive

2 Sandisk SSD Plus 480gb gaming drives

Corsair RM850x PSU

Yesterday I was playing a game and it froze. It was a complete system feeze not just the game. Did a forced shutdown (held power button). When I*tried to turn it back on it took several attempts to start up. Afterwards I started the game back up to see if it would freeze again and it did after about an hour*of gameplay. Same shutdown method as before but now it will not boot into windows. The motherboard seems to be POSTing. It gives no error codes/beeps just CPU temp as it should and the normal beep at startup. The PC locks up at the "classified k" screen before loading windows. I CAN get into the BIOS. Game was farming simulator 17 which I have played several hours previous to this issue. I havent added any new hardware either besides a new monitor about a week ago. Predator x34 if that matters....

Things I*have tried:

1.* *I isolated just the motherboard, CPU, OS SSD, PSU and just one stick of ram and still had the same issue.*

2.* *I then bought a new PSU and tried that with no luck. Used the new wires as well just to be sure.

3.* *I then bought a new SSD and tried to boot from original windows 10 USB stick with no luck. I can choose which version of windows I want to use but then it stops at the same screen.*

4. I have used clear CMOS button and switched the physical BIOS switch on the motherboard.

5. All wires have been disconnected and reconnected and I*know they are attached properly.

:)

libr8r, Nov 18, 2017

2. Cannot boot into Windows 10.

Hi Sipchen,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving your issue.

I suggest you to perform startup repair from the Windows 10 installation disk and by following the steps from the link below.

Startup Repair is a Windows Recovery tool that can fix certain system problems that might prevent Windows from starting. Startup Repair scans your computer for the problem, and then tries to fix it so your computer can start correctly.

Startup Repair is one of the recovery tools in the System Recovery Options menu. This set of tools is located on your computer’s hard disk, and on the Windows Installation disc.

If you are on Windows 10, I suggest you to repair your computer by creating a Windows 10 Bootable media (i.e. USB or DVD) using
    Media Creation Tool. Once you're ready with Bootable Media, follow the below mentioned
    steps.

• Insert the Windows installation disc in the disc drive or connect USB media and then start the computer.
    • Press a key when the message Press any key to boot from CD or DVD appears.

If your PC does not detect the media automatically
      • During the restart process, read the screen for any instructions that explain how to interrupt normal startup and enter the basic input/output system (BIOS) setup utility. Most PCs use the F2, F10, ESC, or DEL key to begin the BIOS Setup.
      • Look for a tab in the BIOS Setup Utility that is labeled Boot Order,
        Boot Options, or Boot. Following the directions on the screen, use the arrow keys to go to the
        Boot Order, then press Enter.
      • Locate the CD, DVD, or USB flash drive (this might be called Removable Device) in the Boot list. Following the directions on the screen, use the arrow keys to move the drive up so that it appears first in the Boot list. Press
        Enter. The boot order sequence is now changed to boot from the CD, DVD, or USB flash drive.
      • Press F10 to save your changes and to exit the BIOS Setup Utility. Select
        Yes in the confirmation window. The PC will restart. Allow the PC to restart normally. The scan will take a few minutes and remove any malware that may be infecting your computer.
    • Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or another input method, and then click
      Next.
    • Click Repair your computer.
    • Click the operating system that you want to repair and then click
      Next
    • On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot. Select
      Advanced options from the window and click on Startup repair
      option.
    If the issue persist, I suggest you to perform System Restore
    under Advanced Options and follow with onscreen instruction to repair your computer.

Hope this helps!

We are happy to assist you with any issues pertaining to Windows.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Nov 18, 2017
  3. Cannot boot into Windows 10

Hi, Yash.

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way.

I suggest that you try the steps below and check if issue persist:

Method 1:

• While at the black screen, try using CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to start Task Manager.
    • If it becomes visible, try finding LockAppHost.exe on the Details tab of the Task manager and ending the task.
    If this resolves your issue, then follow the steps below to repair the corrupted resolution.

Step1: DISM

Follow the steps to Run DISM Commands:

1) Press Windows + x on your keyboard.

2) Select Command prompt (Admin) to open Administrator Command Prompt .

3) In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command:

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Step 2: SFC scan

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

To perform SFC Scan, refer to the below link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Note: Steps mentioned for Windows 8/8.1, will work fine with Windows 10.

Method 2:

If this does not work, use File, Run new task in Task Manager to start an Administrator CMD window. Use this to create a new administrator user with the following commands (changing “<password>” to something of your choice (choose):

net user test <password> /add

net localgroup Administrators test /add

This will give you a test user to try, which will confirm if the issue is user or system-specific.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

For further assistance, you can post your query in Microsoft Community

Vanessa Sohtun, Nov 18, 2017
  4. Cannot boot into windows 10

First thing I have to ask is: Have you been overclocking the computer?
    Second question: If you overclocked, did you push RAM, CPU and GPU to their limits?

To me your issue sounds like either a RAM or storage controller issue.

I see you have tried a lot already, but just to make sure do the following:
    • Disconnect all from your MB expect one RAM stick, PSU and CPU.
    • Reset BIOS
    • Disable everything in BIOS you do NOT need, including extra USB ports, audio, LAN/WLAN, if possible (you want absolute bare minimum devices enabled)
    • Boot up using your USB stick from an USB 2.0 port if available. (USB3.0 may have driver compatibility issues and may freeze)
    • Can you get past the select OS edition screen into select install location?

Try booting up to this state using a different RAM stick if previous attempt failed until you get to the state where setup media does not find a drive where to install.

Now connect a disk drive to SATA0 (or SATA1, depending on the numbering scheme. Has to be the first port for best compatibility)

Could you get setup media to find the drive?
    Could you install the OS to that drive?

It is possible that something is halfway fried on your MB so that the MB self diagnostics can't find any issues.

slicendice, Nov 18, 2017
  5. libr8r Win User
    Thanks for the reply...
    I just went through and disconnected everything from the motherboard but psu, cpu, and 1 stick of ram. I disabled everything in the BIOS and then reset with the USB stick inserted. Clear CMOS was already done multiple times and everything was running stock for test. I chose windows 10 64 bit and hit enter. It goes through two "loading files" screens and then freezes at manufaturer logo screen. I tried all four sticks of ram in all four dimms (Tried the correct one first) and still no luck. Same thing everytime.

So didnt try SSD as I cannot get to that point. Does this leave just the motherboard as culprit since I have tried a new PSU? Only thing left would be CPU...

As for your first question, everything was overclocked.
    Both GPU's running a moderate overclock.
    CPU running at 4.6GB but never reaches 60C.... ever. Highest Ive seen is 58C. Even during stress testing.
    Ram had XMP profile enabled so it wasnt really a overclock just what it is meant to run at.

All temps are always monitored and everything stays well within safe bounderies.

libr8r, Nov 18, 2017
  6. Did you try these steps with the new PSU or old one?

It seems like either a MB issue or CPU issue...

Only thing you could try is to remove CPU, clean MB and CPU, re-install CPU and RAM and finally test again with minimal setup. (the removal of CPU is just to see if it helps solve possible lose connections which sometimes is the ussue)

Make sure you do it properly or you might fry your CPU.

If this does not help then trying another CPU would be one option and last one is to replace the MB.

As a side note: Make sure your wall socket is grounded properly. This can also cause a lot of weird behavior. If possible try to eliminate all possible static electricity from case and MB. (static electricity builds up easily in systems with a lot of fans when the system is not properly grounded and weather conditions are optimal)

slicendice, Nov 18, 2017
  7. libr8r Win User
    I contacted EVGA and luckily the board is covered under warranty still so they sent me a new one. I will try the new board when I get it and hopefully that will fix the issue. I did pull the CPU and re mount it with no luck. I will update this post after the new board is tried.

Thanks again for the help.

libr8r, Nov 18, 2017
  8. Cannot boot into windows 10

You're welcome!

Keeping fingers crossed for you and hoping all goes well. Cannot boot into windows 10 :)

slicendice, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Cannot boot into windows 10

1. Cannot boot into windows 10 - Similar Threads - Cannot boot

2. Cannot erase an erroneous logon persona at boot

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Cannot erase an erroneous logon persona at boot: Have tried all suggestions in MS forums for Win 10. Tried posting in the correct forum, but was locked. I cannot remove a erroneous logon logo presented at logon. I can't find it to erase it. I've tried all suggestions from MS community plus other google searches. None work....
  3. Cannot boot, endless powering cycling

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot boot, endless powering cycling: I built a new pc, worked great, I installed windows 11 and everything. The issue was I didn't have the partitions set as I wanted. I had to delete all he partitions even the one with the os and boot. Now my pc will just power on, then power off, then power on, then off...
  4. Cannot boot, endless powering cycling

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot boot, endless powering cycling: I built a new pc, worked great, I installed windows 11 and everything. The issue was I didn't have the partitions set as I wanted. I had to delete all he partitions even the one with the os and boot. Now my pc will just power on, then power off, then power on, then off...
  5. Cannot Update Windows 10, Have Tried ISO and Booting from USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot Update Windows 10, Have Tried ISO and Booting from USB: Hello,I'm currently on Windows 10 version 1909 and have been trying to update to version 22H2. I cannot update to Windows 11 because PC Health Check says my processor, AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor, is not supported for Windows 11. I've tried several attempts to solve...
  6. Cannot Update Windows 10, Have Tried ISO and Booting from USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Update Windows 10, Have Tried ISO and Booting from USB: Hello,I'm currently on Windows 10 version 1909 and have been trying to update to version 22H2. I cannot update to Windows 11 because PC Health Check says my processor, AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor, is not supported for Windows 11. I've tried several attempts to solve...
  7. Cannot Update Windows 10, Have Tried ISO and Booting from USB

8. Cannot boot windows from SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot boot windows from SSD: Every time I open my computer, I either get a blue screen or I am prompted to “reboot and select proper boot device”. A couple times, it has gotten to the windows login screen, but the computer would crash within seconds and show only a black screen. I had no issues with the...
  9. Cannot boot windows from SSD

Cannot boot windows from SSD: Every time I open my computer, I either get a blue screen or I am prompted to “reboot and select proper boot device”. A couple times, it has gotten to the windows login screen, but the computer would crash within seconds and show only a black screen. I had no issues with the...
  10. I can have secure boot on but I cannot have Windows 10 on then

I can have secure boot on but I cannot have Windows 10 on then: So, I have a problem that I cannot open Windows 10 when I have secure boot on, so I can't download Windows 11. I did check does my PC support Secure Boot and it said "No matches found" so how can I download Windows 11? + I have no devices that can download Windows 11.PC info:...