Windows 10: Cannot boot PC after resetting WIndows 10

Discus and support Cannot boot PC after resetting WIndows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I upgraded my Windows 7 Home Basic to Windows 10 yesterday. It was successfully activated. I loved the UI and animation. But I could not sign... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by prashgde, Aug 4, 2015.

1. prashgde Win User

Cannot boot PC after resetting WIndows 10

Hi

I upgraded my Windows 7 Home Basic to Windows 10 yesterday. It was successfully activated. I loved the UI and animation.

But I could not sign into my Microsoft account, hence could not use Cortana or sign into store. I got "Something went wrong" error all the time. Multiple reboots did not solve the issue.

I decided to reset my PC completely and proceeded without keeping anything though it warned me "This might take several hours". My PC got stuck at 99% for like 4-6 hours. I kept it at that stage the whole night.

When I woke up this morning and saw, my PC had a blue screen error saying "We will restart your PC bla bla *Sad INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE". This error is existing after multiple reboots also.

The two options I can think off:

1. Rebuild my Windows 7 all over again and upgrade to Windows 10 (I am afraid it may not solve the problem).
    2. Do a clean install of Windows 10.

I don't want to do the first.
    Is there anyway I can claim the same license that I already have for Windows 7 in second scenario? I don't mind losing the existing Windows 7 license if I get one for Windows 10.

:)

prashgde, Aug 4, 2015

2. Windows 10 Cannot Boot After Resetting

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 family. I would like to assist you.

From the description, I understand that you are experiencing the error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE when you try to boot the computer.

I would suggest you to perform an Automatic Repair using a bootable media to resolve the issue.

Automatic Repair is a Windows recovery tool that can fix certain system problems that might prevent Windows from starting. Automatic Repair scans your computer for the problem and then tries to fix it so your computer
    can start correctly. Run Automatic repair and check the issue status.

Create Windows 10 ISO: Download Windows 10

Please follow the below steps to perform the repair for the computer.

a) Insert the Installation Disk into the disk drive of the computer. Press any key from the keyboard when prompted to.

b) Follow the instructions till the Install Now screen and then Click
    Repair your computer.

c) Click Advanced Options.

d) Click Troubleshoot.

e) Click Automatic Repair.

f) Follow the on screen instructions.

Hope the above information helps.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Aug 4, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Cannot Boot After Resetting

I installed Windows 10 on July 29th, and it was working great. I decided to reset my computer to get a new start, and backed up my pictures and other personal files before doing so, to mediafire. I then reset, clicking the option remove all my files. When
    the computer restarted to reset it, it came up with a error message saying Your PC ran into a problem and we need to restart it for you INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE or something like that. I then went into the advanced start settings, went to troubleshoot and
    reset from there and the same problem occured. I then went into troubleshoot and used the Toshiba Maintain Utility, and it deleted all files from the hard drive. Now when I boot the computer, it says No bootable device -- please restart system.

Please help me, I love my computer Cannot boot PC after resetting WIndows 10 :(

AdamKeller947, Aug 4, 2015
  4. Cannot boot PC after resetting WIndows 10

If you've successfully upgraded you can clean install 10. You'll even be able to revert back to 7 if you so desire.

cyberrufus, Aug 4, 2015
  5. prashgde Win User
    Thanks cyberrufus. But I did not retain any trace of Windows 7 or any of my personal files. My intention is to get a fresh Windows 10.

prashgde, Aug 4, 2015
  6. What I meant was that if you have the 7 install media you can still go back to it. If you want to clean install 10 do it. Just make sure if asked for any keys during the install you skip that step.

cyberrufus, Aug 4, 2015
  7. prashgde Win User
    Okay, If I install Windows 7 Home Basic (it will get automatically activated) and install Windows 10 Home over it using ISO, will I have an activated Windows 10 on my device for lifetime?

prashgde, Aug 4, 2015
  8. Cannot boot PC after resetting WIndows 10

It appears you previously successfully upgraded so you should be able to clean install without any problem. No need to play around with 7. Yes, the activation will be for the lifetime of your device.

cyberrufus, Aug 4, 2015
  9. prashgde Win User
    Will give it a try and update, thanks *Smile

prashgde, Aug 4, 2015
  10. prashgde Win User
    Did a clean install of Windows 10. Initially it asked me for product key and I just skipped it. Once the installation is complete, I see my Windows 10 activated *Smile

However, I wonder how there is Backup and restore (Windows 7) option in control panel though I did a clean install.
    Is it like when I want to go back to Windows 7, it will retrieve the data from the cloud and restore?

prashgde, Aug 4, 2015
  11. Cannot boot PC after resetting WIndows 10 [​IMG]

That's from a clean install of 10 over 8.1 and I've never had 7 on this machine. That's just how the CP is and it's meaningless.

cyberrufus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Cannot boot PC after resetting WIndows 10

1. Cannot boot PC after resetting WIndows 10 - Similar Threads - Cannot boot resetting

2. Windows 10 won't boot after an update and the reset this PC there was a problem resetting...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 won't boot after an update and the reset this PC there was a problem resetting...: Windows 10 won't boot after an update and the reset this PC there was a problem resetting your PC no changes were made. all the suggested fixes won't work. sfc doesn't work renaming system and software cannot access won't work.I need to get the files off this computer, please...
  3. Windows 10 won't boot after an update and the reset this PC there was a problem resetting...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 won't boot after an update and the reset this PC there was a problem resetting...: Windows 10 won't boot after an update and the reset this PC there was a problem resetting your PC no changes were made. all the suggested fixes won't work. sfc doesn't work renaming system and software cannot access won't work.I need to get the files off this computer, please...
  4. Windows 10 won't boot after an update and the reset this PC there was a problem resetting...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Cannot reset windows 10 pc.

Cannot reset windows 10 pc.: Hello, i just migrated my windows 10 from hdd to sdd. And now when i try to reset my windows it says recovery environment not found. I tried to clone recovery drives to but its not working. Reagentc says unable to boot config data. How do i fix this?...
  6. PC Boot Loop after reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC Boot Loop after reset: I was trying to reset my pc and it reset and was doing its disc check for the boot drive. After that, the pc boot logo spun for a few seconds, froze then restarted, and did the same thing. All night I was trying to install windows via USB and it read it and went to the...
  7. Windows 10 pc cannot reset

Windows 10 pc cannot reset: Im trying to reset my pc but keep the files but when I click on it and tries to reset, after a while it shows me a message that I cannot do this since there is some kind of problem and unable to install. this is due to a virus that edits settings on a pc, its called...
  8. Windows 10 pc cannot reset

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 pc cannot reset: Im trying to reset my pc but keep the files but when I click on it and tries to reset, after a while it shows me a message that I cannot do this since there is some kind of problem and unable to install. this is due to a virus that edits settings on a pc, its called...
  9. Boot Loop after Reset PC

Boot Loop after Reset PC: My laptop, a Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 bought in March 2020, is stuck in a boot loop where the Microsoft logo appears, followed by the loading spinning dots, then it cuts to black and the entire process repeats. All I did was reset my pc and it went smoothly until after...
  10. Cannot boot /Reset/ Repair Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot boot /Reset/ Repair Windows 10: Hi I have a Asus ROG Laptop, G531GD with Windows 10 home, 8GB RAM, And Intel 9300 processor I was working on some documents and emails nothing too heavy for the system when the system ran too hot. I turned it off and turned on after it had cooled down, After turning...