Windows 10: Cannot boot Windows 10, unknown problem

Discus and support Cannot boot Windows 10, unknown problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm not sure where to send this message, so I decidet to do that here. Things are a little bit complicated. I'm not sure whether that happened after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Math, May 22, 2017.

1. Math Win User

Cannot boot Windows 10, unknown problem

I'm not sure where to send this message, so I decidet to do that here.

Things are a little bit complicated. I'm not sure whether that happened after I deleted old files after installing of version 1703 or after I set OO Defrag to execute defragmentation during boot process. In any case, I can't boot my system anymore. There are two partitions on my hard drive, both of them are healthy and without any damages. I've tried MANY things how to recover BCD but without success. By my knowledge if system partition wasn't damaged, it should be possible to repair booting process. Hope that someone would help me with a good advice *Smile

:)

2. Nokia servers down on sunday?

It has been down all day. Those with a phone that no longer boots for some unknown reason cannot restore it to working order for some other unknown reason. I can't find a status page or anywhere to report the problem. It is pretty poor support for their
    customers.

Vomit---01, May 22, 2017
  3. Lost power duirng upgade now can't get windows 7 back.

Yes I can boot up and startup repair comes on the it says Windows cannot repair this computer automatically. When I view the problem details it say

Problem Signature Event Name: StartupRepairOffline

". ". 01. 6.1.7600.16385

". ". 02. "

". ". 03. Unknown

". ". 04. 21199224

". ". 05. AutoFailover

". ". 06. 41

". ". 07. CorruptFile

OS Version. 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Local ID: 1033

RGJIII

RichardJones III, May 22, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, let's take a random stab (well, not really) in the hope nothing too serious has happened- but it's impossible to tell at this point.

Download and create Macrium Reflect's boot disk.
    Boot your PC from it and use the Fix Boot utility.

If that doesn't work, then assuming your Windows partition is undamaged, there's another approach.

dalchina, May 22, 2017
  5. Math Win User
    Hi, thx

I've already tried with some WinPE disks but not with this one. Hope to download it tonight.

6. cereberus Win User
    cereberus, May 22, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Ok - MR is also a recommended disk imaging program. If you don't already use disk imaging, when this is fixed, I very strongly recommend you consider it, as it lets you rescue yourself from all manner of difficulties by restoring a previous working copy of partitions, both Windows and data.

But at the moment, we're just interested in this one useful utility they provide.

dalchina, May 22, 2017
  8. Math Win User

How to create a boot disk if my system isn't working? From another PC?

9. dalchina New Member
    Yes, that's what you'd have to do. (It's a really good idea to have some basic tools ready for disaster).

dalchina, May 22, 2017
  10. Math Win User
    Well... what I did in the meantime, I've downloaded MR 7 and installed it from WinPE (I was skeptical but it works). , I went to 'Fix Windows boot problems', selected Win 10 on my C drive at the 1st dialogue. 2nd d.: selected my system's partition C: 3rd d.: accepted all suggested options and click on Finish. After restart I'm getting error that nvstor.sys is missing from WINDOWS\System32\drivers\ I've checked that folder and really, it wasn't there

11. dalchina New Member
    Hi, yes, using an appropriate boot disk can give you internet access.

You could try this, but I have my doubts...

Use a boot disk to boot to a command prompt. (A Win 10 boot disk will let you do that).

Then, after working out the drive letter of the partition where Windows is (it won't necessarily be C: as viewed from such a command prompt) try

Scan Your System

Finally you're ready to scan your system files for errors. To do that simply run the following command:
    sfc /scannow /offbootdir=[DRIVELETTER]:\ /offwindir=[DRIVELETTER]:\windows

Substitute the drive letter you noted earlier for [DRIVELETTER]. There should be no square brackets in the command (image below).

Windows will now attempt to find and repair any errors in your system files. If the scan finds errors, you may need to repeat the steps in this guide until it finds no more errors. To restart your computer, enter the exit command, then click the Restart button. When you're ready to try booting into Windows again, remove the install disc and restart one final time.

dalchina, May 22, 2017
  12. Math Win User
    This is sooooooo frustrating.... I scanned system files and still get the same error related with nvstor.sys
    can someone send this file to me on some way? Build version 15063

13. Math Win User

BTW it seems that nvstor.sys is part of nvidia storage driver: Nvstor Service Defaults in Windows 10
    A little bit strange because my notebook doesn't have any nvidia part as far as I know

14. zbook New Member
    Were you able to boot and run sfc /scannow?
    Was it unable to complete? Did it find integrity violations that it was not able to fix?
    In administrative command had you tried to run: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    Let us know the results.

This is a zip file of nvstor.sys from windows 10 version 1703 build 15063.296
    Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Once you are able to boot please make sure that you run both sfc scannow and dism restorehealth

zbook, May 23, 2017
  15. ruggb Win User
    if u can access your drive via file explorer by booting to PE or linux image, that file is in 3 places on the drive.
    C:\Windows\System32\drivers = this is likely the one that is missing
    C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_nvraid.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.15063.0_none_4aee9c60f7cd5dcf
    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvraid.inf_amd64_144351277838b429

The probability is that a number of files were removed, therefore,
    what I would do is to download the 1703 ISO and make a usb drive (8GB will work) using Rufus - boot from that and do a repair install. I think you can get it from here
    Download Windows 10)
    I have not done this for a while but I think u need to dnld the media creation tool first then follow your nose to download the iso file. You may be able to make it directly from the too but rufus is faster - it is free.

ruggb, May 23, 2017
Thema:

1. Cannot boot Windows 10, unknown problem - Similar Threads - Cannot boot unknown

2. Unknown problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unknown problem: Pc boot runs for a second then black screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unknown-problem/ebf923cc-90da-42eb-87f0-8efee5177337
  3. Unknown problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unknown problem: Pc boot runs for a second then black screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unknown-problem/ebf923cc-90da-42eb-87f0-8efee5177337
  4. Unknown problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unknown problem: Yesterday I was using my computer normally, but today, something happened.I can’t boot up my computer. After some hard resets, the computer said that it’s preparing Automatic Repair. I waited for 15 more minutes and nothing happened. Can someone help me?The texts in the photo...
  5. Unknown problem

Unknown problem: Yesterday I was using my computer normally, but today, something happened.I can’t boot up my computer. After some hard resets, the computer said that it’s preparing Automatic Repair. I waited for 15 more minutes and nothing happened. Can someone help me?The texts in the photo...
  6. Unknown problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Unknown BSOD Now cannot boot to Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unknown BSOD Now cannot boot to Win 10: Hi I have an ASUS tuf laptop running windows 10. This afternoon I got a BSOD and now I cannot get it to boot to windows. The UEFI / BIOS splash screen shows but then it just goes black and I cannot proceed any further. I will list the things I have tried so far. I have a...
  8. Unknown BSOD Now cannot boot to Win 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unknown BSOD Now cannot boot to Win 10: Hi I have an ASUS tuf laptop running windows 10. This afternoon I got a BSOD and now I cannot get it to boot to windows. The UEFI / BIOS splash screen shows but then it just goes black and I cannot proceed any further. I will list the things I have tried so far. I have a...
  9. Unknown BSOD Now cannot boot to Win 10

10. Unknown Problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Unknown Problems: Hello. I come to this forum to see if anyone has a solution to my problem. I got done playing a round in a game, and the game froze. It's never done that before. I tried to exit out of the window, and my computer wouldn't close it. I then had to restart my computer, and upon...