Windows 10: Cannot bring some apps to the front

Discus and support Cannot bring some apps to the front in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; This started this morning. Running Windows 10 Pro. I can run the browser (Chrome), luckily. Word also. But I cannot most other apps (I think), like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by RonNewYork, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Cannot bring some apps to the front

This started this morning. Running Windows 10 Pro. I can run the browser (Chrome), luckily. Word also. But I cannot most other apps (I think), like WinSCP, but not Calc, not Notepad++, not Notepad. If I try to run Calc, it loads in the task try and if I hover the mouse over it I can see the image of it. Same with Notepad++, But if I click on the icon, nothing happens. Word is fine when loading or clicking on the task try icon. Same with Chrome. Same with Edge, Firefox, Visual Studio. So far, limited to Notepad, Notepad++ and Calc but there could be more.

More: Explorer as well.

WELL, not exactly. I use a program called Agent Ransack to search the desktop. I don't use it much but I know that you can click on an Explorer icon and choose the folders you want to search. I did that and explorer came up OK. BUT not from the Start Menu or task bar.

Unfortunately running Explorer from this program limits me to selecting folders.

:)

RonNewYork, Jan 11, 2018
  2. LiLAsN Win User

Win+P will bring Taskbar to front instead of the apps that is on the screen

This issue has yet been fixed since there has been no Windows Update.

LiLAsN, Jan 11, 2018
  3. LiLAsN Win User
    Win+P will bring Taskbar to front instead of the apps that is on the screen

Upon upgrading to the Fall Creators Update for Windows 10, there is a slight inconveniences when switching screens using "Win+P" whereby upon switching and pressing escape, you will notice that the opened application like a media player like MPC-HC is
    pushed to back with no keys responding until you use a mouse to click on it to bring it back to front.

When MPC-HC is in Fullscreen and I switched to the second display using "Win+P" and pressing escape afterwards, the Taskbar appears at the bottom of the video which signifies that the player, even when at fullscreen is sent to back while the Taskbar is now
    brought to the front. Any key you press will trigger the Taskbar instead of the player and that is how I know that the Taskbar was brought to the front.

Similarly, when I open Microsoft Word and trigger "Win+P", upon escaping "Win+P", I can not immediately type on Microsoft Word unless I use a mouse to click on Microsoft Word again to bring it to the front.

This was not an issue with the previous Windows 10 version until the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. Is there any way to solve this issue?

LiLAsN, Jan 11, 2018
  4. Cannot bring some apps to the front

Switch to and bring to the front in Task Mgr does nothing.

If I run Word and then File->Open-Browse, I can use Explorer no problem. Just not from Start or Task Bar.

RonNewYork, Jan 11, 2018
  5. Barman58 Win User
    First question - have you re-booted your system?

Second Question - What anti malware are you running?

Can you use the Alt+Tab or WinKey+Tab shortcuts to cycle through the "open" Applications

If you go to the start menu what do you get if you select the "open location" option (not available on "modern" Apps ), or is it only Modern apps with the issue?

Barman58, Jan 11, 2018
  6. Rebooted: Yes
    Anti-Malware: Windows Defender
    Alt-Tab/win-key tab: While Explorer is on the Task Tray at the bottom of the screen it does not appear in Win-key tab selection.
    Those apps which have an Open Location menu choice, I can select it and while that opens explorer, explorer is still just in the task tray.

RonNewYork, Jan 11, 2018
  7. Running MalwareBytes now.

I have another problem which I noted here and thought was solved but isn't: My mouse pointer is "unstable" in that at times it works as usual but frequently it disappears. There is no pointer at all. I can alt-tab around, etc., and eventually it comes back.

RonNewYork, Jan 11, 2018
  8. Barman58 Win User

Cannot bring some apps to the front

I have noticed issues with access to apps when using the hide taskbar option where the taskbar stays on top of opened app windows but can't see why only certain apps would fail as you are seeing

With the mouse I would always check the driver first and check if there is a later revision available, It can also be tied in with Keyboard settings to hide the mouse cursor whilst typing

Barman58, Jan 11, 2018
  9. I ran MalwareBytes which found on PUP which I quarantined. Rebooted. No change. Explorer still cannot come to the front. In the task bar I can click "restore" or "maximize" but nothing happens. I can live without Calc but not without Explorer.

RonNewYork, Jan 11, 2018
  10. Barman58 Win User
    The search helper you mentioned, does that work as an add-on to Explorer?

Also totally strange question - do you have your task bar in the default bottom of screen position? There has been issues with some users who move the taskbar to the side or top

Barman58, Jan 11, 2018
  11. Task bar is at the bottom. Not sure about the search helper. My program (I'm a programmer) opens Explorer from a File Open dialog box, probably like most programs do. While Explorer runs there is no window on the desktop that I can access. Same with Calc. So far, only those two.

RonNewYork, Jan 11, 2018
  12. Barman58 Win User
    Will have to do some more searching as nothing I've come across so far seems relevant, I'm assuming that the "missing" windows are not off-screen, (right click desktop select cascade option to check)

Barman58, Jan 11, 2018
  13. Cannot bring some apps to the front

OMG!!! Another person who uses my machine set up an additional display which is turned off. That was Display 1. My "Main" display is 2. I set the Display options to only 2 and now everything works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Appreciate all your attempts and head scratching!!!

RON

RonNewYork, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Cannot bring some apps to the front

1. Cannot bring some apps to the front - Similar Threads - Cannot bring apps

2. Bring back the Mail app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bring back the Mail app: So, this past week the 'New Outlook' replaced the Mail App forthwith. "What happens?", I hear you ask.The main application repeatedly crashes on all my systems, just like it did six months ago, when the preview first launched. When you click the Mail app shortcut, it also...
  3. Alt Tab switching applications but not bringing them to the front.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Alt Tab switching applications but not bringing them to the front.: Basically the title. When I use alt+tab to switch windows and applications the active program changes but it doesn't bring the program to the front. This happens when I try to use the taskbar as well, have to alt tab three times to change the program and bring it to the...
  4. Windows 10 not bringing newly opened apps and windows to the front

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 not bringing newly opened apps and windows to the front: I've only had this new computer a couple days but I find the way Windows displays newly opened apps and windows very strange. It never puts them on the screen in front of whatever else was being used. I have to close or minimize all other open windows to see them. Is there...
  5. Bring all Instances of Explorer to front at once

Bring all Instances of Explorer to front at once: I like to work, with two instances of the explorer one below the other. But to bring them both back to front after minimizing, I have to click twice with the mouse on both instances. Is there a Keyboard shortcut, or another trick, to bring all instances of an app / the...
  6. Front camera not detected by apps

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Front camera not detected by apps: I have a surface pro 4 and Windows 10. My front camera is no longer detected by the camera app or by any of the other webcam using apps Zoom, Messenger, etc. It is not a hardware issue since it still does facial recognition with red light turned on when starting the laptop....
  7. Bring window to front without focussing on it?

Bring window to front without focussing on it?: I am trying to find a way to bring a program to the front of my desktop (Xbox app) without taking focus away from another window (mouse-Xbox adapter). Either that or a way to minimise windows without losing focus. Currently I can full screen the Xbox app on my main monitor,...
  8. You can not bring an window up front now after all these years

in Windows 10 Customization
    You can not bring an window up front now after all these years: After all these years, Microsoft can not guarantee a simple function which is: You want to bring up a window up front, so you click it on the taskbar, expecting it to come up front. Chance is, It won't. Many threads have come up with this problem and if i'm right....
  9. Change? When selecting program to bring to front, cursor now moves?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change? When selecting program to bring to front, cursor now moves?: I hope I can explain this well in text... But the way it used to be: When I clicked back to a document from another program, (Word vs pdf file or website, etc) clicking anywhere on the file just brought it to the "front" but the cursor remained in the previously left spot...
  10. Taskbar problems minimizing, switching, bringing window to front issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Taskbar problems minimizing, switching, bringing window to front issue: Okay... This is getting pretty frustrating. I can't multitask like before. Windows/programs/ don't come to the front when I click on their icons in the taskbar. Ex: I have Chrome, WordPad and File Explorer all on my taskbar. I click on File Explorer and it comes to...