Windows 10: Cannot change App Defaults

Discus and support Cannot change App Defaults in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I cannot change any of the App Defaults. Is there a solution for this? First, I don't like Edge and want to change the browser, but windows 10 will not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by TheLt, Jan 10, 2017.

1. TheLt Win User

Cannot change App Defaults

I cannot change any of the App Defaults. Is there a solution for this? First, I don't like Edge and want to change the browser, but windows 10 will not change the default. Another default is for email. I want Outlook 2016 but, again can't change it. that is just 2 of many.

:)

TheLt, Jan 10, 2017

2. Cannot Change App Defaults

Hi,

Thank you for updating us.

This issue is appearing due to the corrupted files in the account. I suggest you to copy the settings and apps from the older account to the new account and check if it helps.

Follow the below procedure.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard, select
      Control Panel.

• Select System and Security and then
      System.

• Click Advanced System Settings.

• Under User Profiles, click
      Settings

• Select the profile you want to copy.

• Click Copy to, and then enter the name of, or browse to, the profile you want to overwrite. This will usually be in C:\Users\username, where username is the name of the profile to which you are copying.

• Click Permitted to use, and then add all user accounts to which you want to give full profile control.

• Click OK.
    I hope the information helps. If you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact us again. We will be happy to assist you.

Aswin_Anand, Jan 10, 2017
  3. Cannot Change App Defaults

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

In this situation, I suggest you to create a new user account and check if you still face the issue. To create it perform the steps mentioned below.

• Press Windows key + R key, Run window opens.

• Type control in the open box and click Ok.

• Control Panel windows opens.

• Click on User accounts and Family Safety.

• Click on User Account and then click on Manage Accounts.

• Now click on Add a new user and follow the instructions.
    Now check if the issue persists in the new user account.

I hope the issue will be resolved. If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us again. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Aswin_Anand, Jan 10, 2017
  4. AddRAM Win User

Did you install the browser you want to use ? It will ask you if you want to use it as default.

AddRAM, Jan 10, 2017
  5. philc43 Win User
    Hello TheLt and welcome to the TenForums *Smile

Please have a look at the following tutorial and the try the various options suggested to change your default apps:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

Hopefully you will find a method that works for you.

philc43, Jan 10, 2017
  6. TheLt Win User
    Option Six is the one that worked. Thanks Philc43!

TheLt, Jan 11, 2017
  7. philc43 Win User
    You're welcome! *Smile

philc43, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot change App Defaults - Similar Threads - Cannot change App

2. Cannot change default app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot change default app: I am having a lot of frustrations with Win 11- if this is how Win 11 is, i would not have updated.I could not change the default app that Windows assigned to my files. Previously I could go to settings/default app & then just select the file type that I want the default app...
  3. Cannot change default app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot change default app: I am having a lot of frustrations with Win 11- if this is how Win 11 is, i would not have updated.I could not change the default app that Windows assigned to my files. Previously I could go to settings/default app & then just select the file type that I want the default app...
  4. Cannot change default apps in settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot change default apps in settings: Profile is administratorClick SETTINGSClick APPSClick DEFAULT APPSClick the > to expand the list of associationsNOTHING after that works...I can click all day on the bar, and the extension anything, and nothing will bring up the normal menu to choose the default program.I...
  5. Cannot change default apps in settings

Cannot change default apps in settings: Profile is administratorClick SETTINGSClick APPSClick DEFAULT APPSClick the > to expand the list of associationsNOTHING after that works...I can click all day on the bar, and the extension anything, and nothing will bring up the normal menu to choose the default program.I...
  6. Cannot Change Default Apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Change Default Apps: Suddenly I cannot change what apps are defaulted to open.1 I change it in settings, it shows it has changed, but ignores the change and opens with the original app always.2 "Open With" pops up a list of apps. It used to be that if I selected "Choose another app", I got a...
  7. Cannot Change Default Apps

Cannot Change Default Apps: Suddenly I cannot change what apps are defaulted to open.1 I change it in settings, it shows it has changed, but ignores the change and opens with the original app always.2 "Open With" pops up a list of apps. It used to be that if I selected "Choose another app", I got a...
  8. Cannot change video default app

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot change video default app: Installed software has change my default app for playing video. I have tried every possible way through the UI to make the change, but each time I select another app, there's a pause and then the screen goes black. Can an app lock this setting? If so, short of removing the...
  9. Cannot change default apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot change default apps: Windows 10 Education Version 1803, OS build 17134.345 I cannot change the default apps for opening files with the extensions .ai and .R. I have checked the obvious stuff, such as creating a new user profile, restarting the PC, trying to change it via Open with... - nothing...
  10. Cannot change Windows default apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot change Windows default apps: I've seen this posted elsewhere but none of the solutions have worked for me so far. I have several files for which Windows 10 refuses to change the default app. I have tried numerous methods for doing this but none work. This is happening on *two* of my computers (both my...