Windows 10: cannot change CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS option in Windows Defender

Discus and support cannot change CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS option in Windows Defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; [img] 104282 Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by bromberg, Feb 13, 2018.

1. bromberg Win User

cannot change CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS option in Windows Defender

cannot change CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS option in Windows Defender [​IMG]

:)

bromberg, Feb 13, 2018
  2. Monkey57 Win User
    Monkey57, Feb 13, 2018
  3. dalchina New Member

As you have a 3rd party AV installed, Defender's real-time protection is disabled.

As that is necessary for controlled folder access to work, that's most likely why it's not available.

dalchina, Feb 13, 2018
  4. dencal Win User
    Dump 10 bit Malware Fighter, poor reviews, use Defender if you want it ticked, it cannot verify as safe another AV.... if you wish to use a separate AV, Bitdefender or Kasperski, both have good free versions.

dencal, Feb 13, 2018
  5. bromberg Win User
    Dalchina,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I thought Defender could work with IObit Malware Fighter. Aside from my question are you saying that Defender is not active unless I shutdown Malware Fighter?
    Dan

bromberg, Feb 14, 2018
  6. bromberg Win User
    Dencal,
    I haven't read any bad reviews on IObit Malware Fighter, but I'll look into it.
    Thanks,
    Dan

bromberg, Feb 14, 2018
  7. dalchina New Member

If you have an AV that does real time scanning and disables Defender's real time scanning, as I said, my understanding is that will disable the controlled folder access feature.

However, having looked at Defender on mine (I have Avast installed) the Controlled Folder access option is simply not present. So perhaps what you're seeing is something different. I see:

Sorry, I can make no comment about that specific program as I don't use it.

Same symptom here, but the poster didn't respond finally, unfortunately.
    Controlled folder access is greyed out Solved - Windows 10 Help Forums

See:
    Controlled Folder Access disabledgreyed out. - Microsoft Community
    - which seems to confirm what I believe.

Best experiment and uninstall other AV programs if present.
    Make sure it's not disabled by group policy:
    How to enable 'Controlled folder access' on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update | Windows Central

More if you search as I did using
    "controlled folder access" greyed out

dalchina, Feb 14, 2018
  8. bromberg Win User
    Dalchina:
    When I click on the yellow highlighted portion below (which you don't seem to have) I get a new screen that shows the CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS.
    So the question comes down to whether it pays to uninstall Malware Fighter for reap the benefits of the CFA option:

bromberg, Feb 14, 2018
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hazarding a guess, I'd suggest that Malware Fighter's status being unavailable might be significant.

dalchina, Feb 14, 2018
  10. bromberg Win User
    I suppose, but when my Malware Fighter Pro subscription is over I'll uninstall it and see what happens when Defender is totally on its own.

bromberg, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. cannot change CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS option in Windows Defender - Similar Threads - cannot change CONTROLLED

2. Cannot accesses Controlled Folder Accesses

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot accesses Controlled Folder Accesses: Cannot access Controlled Folder Accesses because there is an issue with Ransomware Protection I get this message: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-accesses-controlled-folder-accesses/5481afc3-960d-4447-a2e0-11ac32b07d64
  3. Cannot accesses Controlled Folder Accesses

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot accesses Controlled Folder Accesses: Cannot access Controlled Folder Accesses because there is an issue with Ransomware Protection I get this message: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-accesses-controlled-folder-accesses/5481afc3-960d-4447-a2e0-11ac32b07d64
  4. Cannot accesses Controlled Folder Accesses

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Defender controlled folder access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender controlled folder access: while i was using my system i got a message saying "Unauthorized changes blocked" and it was explorer.exe what is happening and what should i do please advice...
  6. Cannot access controlled folder access

Cannot access controlled folder access: Since installing Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903 on 8th August Handbrake video converter is unable to write to any folder. I have read this is probably due to controlled folder access being enabled by version 1903 but when I try to access controlled folder access I...
  7. Problem with Windows Defender/Controlled Folder Access

Problem with Windows Defender/Controlled Folder Access: When I'm trying to save a file in a portable application, I'm getting an error that the file couldn't be found. Based on my searching, I've found that it's a problem with "Controlled Folder Access" in Windows Security (new update renamed Windows Defender I guess). I was just...
  8. Windows Defender and Controlled Folder Access and Exclusions

Windows Defender and Controlled Folder Access and Exclusions: I just recently started using Windows Defender as my antivirus software expired and I was looking for another option other than paying for another program. I don't totally understand how to use it and reading thru tutorials is somewhat foreign to me so please understand my...
  9. About the "Controlled Folder Access" in windows defender...

About the "Controlled Folder Access" in windows defender...: Although not that important, I noticed that when you open Winders Defender, and then click on Virus and threat protection settings, and then scroll down to controlled folder access,.. It states, " Protect your files and folders from unauthorized CHANGED by unfriendly...
  10. Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10: How to: Add Protected Folders to Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Protected Folders for Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10 Starting with Controlled folder access is introduced in Windows Defender Antivirus. When Controlled folder access...