Windows 10: cannot change default sound device

Discus and support cannot change default sound device in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; i'm trying to play music through a bluetooth speaker. both the speaker and my laptop say that they are connected, but sound is only coming from the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by pikabun91, Jan 29, 2017.

1. pikabun91 Win User

cannot change default sound device

i'm trying to play music through a bluetooth speaker. both the speaker and my laptop say that they are connected, but sound is only coming from the laptop speakers. so i check the default sound devices to see what's up, and i get this:

cannot change default sound device [​IMG]

i am unable to check any of the devices with the weird arrows. each device's properties info box says they're working properly. all drivers have been checked and are up to date. any ideas?

:)

pikabun91, Jan 29, 2017
  2. RagNet Win User

Cannot change default audio device (after update kb3199209?)

Thank you for the suggestion, Gil deG, and sorry I didn't get to test this sooner.

I tried uninstalling the drivers as suggested, and restarted the computer. All the devices got installed back after the reboot, and it all looked okey inside Sounds - Playback.

It shows my headphones as default device now, but I cannot change default device.

Worse, I have no sound at all now, as Windows somehow thinks I don't have any sound devices installed. The Sound-icon on the status bar shows a speaker and a red circle with cross, and when I point my mouse at it, it says "No Audio Output Device is installed."
    There are no sound output.

As I got my headphones as default device, I can unplug them, and I see the Speakers get the default device status inside Sounds - Playback - but status bar by the clock is same with red circle, and there are no sound.

Before I could disable my default TV device in device manager to change the output, but now I have no sound at all.

If this information helps to trigger further troubleshooting, please get back to me. Thank you so much for your time.

Edit: Also, to help troubleshooting, for all devices, inside properties of the device, and the "Levels" pane, it only shows a horizontal line on the page - all else is blank.

RagNet, Jan 29, 2017
  3. Cannot switch the default sound device

After my PC received a new upgrade for windows 10, I can no longer switch my default sound device. When I clicked "sound", everything looks fine and all my devices are connected to my PC, but when I try to click "Set Default" under "PlayBack" section,
    no matter how many times I clicked it, nothing happens after.

drowningdog, Jan 29, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

spunk, Jan 29, 2017
  5. pikabun91 Win User
    nope, already did that and forgot to mention it... i right-click on the speaker icon, press "connect" and nothing happens.

don't know if it matters but checking the bluetooth settings gives me this:

cannot change default sound device [​IMG]

...which is why i thought it was paired. the speaker itself says it's paired with the computer.

yesterday everything worked just fine!

pikabun91, Jan 30, 2017
  6. pikabun91 Win User
    FIXED IT. my phone was paired with the speaker! i turned off bluetooth on the phone and everything works.

for future reference - will i always have to do this for the speaker to connect to the computer instead of the phone?

pikabun91, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. cannot change default sound device - Similar Threads - cannot change default

2. Preventing Windows from unauthorized changing of default sound devices

in Windows 10 Customization
    Preventing Windows from unauthorized changing of default sound devices: Hey folks, I handle many audio devices on my Windows PC. And successfully so, as long as Windows is distracted. There is the Realtek system audio. Then all three Monitors bring their audio capabilities and drivers through HDMI and Display Port and the projector as well. There...
  3. How to change Default Sound Output Device in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Default Sound Output Device in Windows 10: When you connect speakers, headphones, Bluetooth headset, or other audio devices to your PC, you can select which device you want to use by default. In this post, we will show you how to change default Sound Output Device in Windows 10. Change Default Sound Output Device We...
  4. How to change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10: When you connect more than one microphone or another recording device to your Windows 10 PC, you can select which device you want to use by default. In this post, we will show you how to change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10. Change Default Sound Input Device We can...
  5. Change the default device and default communication device, changing it this way only...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change the default device and default communication device, changing it this way only...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/the_frgtn_drgn [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/khugir/change_the_default_device_and_default/
  6. Cannot change sound device

Cannot change sound device: I want to extend my display on a TV HDMI port and have the sound go to the TV. When I select the TV in the Sound Settings, it selects TV but immediately changes back to speakers. When I go to Manage Sound Devices and test the TV output, the test sound can be heard on the TV...
  7. Default Sound Device Issue

Default Sound Device Issue: I have Windows 10 and I use a USB sound device - the GOXLR Mini. This gives me a few different sound devices so I can assign different apps to play on different devices and control the volume independently with physical volume sliders. The problem I am having is that when I...
  8. Listen to this device not directly changing after switching default sound device

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Listen to this device not directly changing after switching default sound device: Is there an option to let it switch in real time? Only solution atm is to disable and re-enable listening or change the target device every single time. I'd like this feature because I only need the audio of my browser to go through virtual audio cable and pass it on to...
  9. Cannot Change Default Playback Device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot Change Default Playback Device: I did a fresh install of windows 10 pro from windows 7 and I'm already starting to hate myself. I open the playback devices tab under sound and click on my Siberia v2 illuminated headset and click set as default device and it does nothing. I can't disable my speakers or...
  10. Change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10: How to: Change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10 How to Change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10 The default sound input device is the device that Windows uses to record or hear sound. When you connect more than one microphone or other recording devices...