Windows 10: Cannot change desktop background in win 10

Discus and support Cannot change desktop background in win 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I just tried to switch to another desktop background when a window popped up telling me that ms-settings: personalization background, class not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by esebm, Apr 28, 2016.

1. esebm Win User

Cannot change desktop background in win 10

I just tried to switch to another desktop background when a window popped up telling me that ms-settings: personalization background, class not registered. What in the world is that?

:)

esebm, Apr 28, 2016

2. High Contrast Will Not Turn Off

I have tried everything listed in the community KB.

Win 10 on a desktop

I changed themes and it took me to very small type

I can't change the background color on the task bar

When I go to High Contrast- themes-none it reports "cannot use this theme" or something similar

When I am at Personalization-Background it reports "your background is automatically turned off by Ease of Access Settings"

EmilyWin10, Apr 28, 2016
  3. LYNELS Win User
    BACKGROUND THEME

Just upgraded my laptop to windows 10. Personalized background theme all ok. But then found that my desktop PC background theme had changed to the same one as my laptop. Not what I wanted.

I then reset my PC background theme only to find that it changed on my laptop also. Hubby uses the desktop PC and prefers a different background theme to me. But I cannot work out how to stop any change on one affecting the other. Can anyone help.

LYNELS, Apr 28, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Apr 28, 2016
  5. esebm Win User
    Downloaded it but the trouble shooter could not identify the problem.
    Any other ideas?
    Thanks,
    Ed

esebm, Apr 28, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    For anyone reading this: these are reported as NOT solving this problem

sfc /scannow

Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Suggest you try a general search for
    ms-settings: personalization-background
    (but no space - if I omit it it turns into an emoticon here)

Putting that in explorer's address bar takes me here:

Cannot change desktop background in win 10 [​IMG]

dalchina, Apr 28, 2016
  7. esebm Win User
    When I enter ms-settings*Tongueersonalization-background into the explorer search field I get "no results...".

esebm, Apr 28, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Do any of the following cause problems? (you don't have to try them all..) and can you open Settings?

Try this command at an admin Powershell prompt to re-register PC settings:

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\ImmersiveControlPanel\AppxManifest.xml

Accessibility Closed captioning ms-settings:easeofaccess-closedcaptioning High contrast ms-settings:easeofaccess-highcontrast Keyboard ms-settings:easeofaccess-keyboard Magnifier ms-settings:easeofaccess-magnifier Mouse ms-settings:easeofaccess-mouse Narrator ms-settings:easeofaccess-narrator Other options ms-settings:easeofaccess-otheroptions Battery and power Battery Saver ms-settings:batterysaver Battery Saver settings ms-settings:batterysaver-settings Battery use ms-settings:batterysaver-usagedetails Power and sleep ms-settings*Tongueowersleep Display and user interface Backgrounds ms-settings*Tongueersonalization-background Colors (display) ms-settings:colors Colors (personaliation) ms-settings*Tongueersonalization-colors Date and time ms-settings:dateandtime Display ms-settings:display Mouse and touchpad ms-settings:mousetouchpad Personalization ms-settings*Tongueersonalization Region and language ms-settings:regionlanguage Screen rotation ms-settings:screenrotation Speech ms-settings:speech Start ms-settings*Tongueersonalization-start Themes ms-settings:themes Typing ms-settings:typing Network and radios Airplane mode ms-settings:network-airplanemode Bluetooth ms-settings:bluetooth Cellular ms-settings:network-cellular Data usage ms-settings:datausage Dialup ms-settings:network-dialup DirectAccess ms-settings:network-directaccess Ethernet ms-settings:network-ethernet

dalchina, Apr 29, 2016
  9. esebm Win User
    I ran your command and it doesn't do anything and, no, I cannot open the settings. Clicking on PC settings doesn't do anything either.

esebm, Apr 29, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    In that case, failing other suggestions, and assuming you have no disk images, system image or system restore points, try an in-place upgrade repair install.

Precede it with this in case sthg has happened to your file system:

Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)
    chkdsk C: /F
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed.

An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.

For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - all/most associations will be unchanged
    - all your programs will be left installed
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - Windows.old will be created
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
    - you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)
    - inactive title bar colouring (if used) will be reset to default
    - if Qttabbar is installed, you need to re-enable it in explorer (Options, check Qttabbar)
    This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.

Recommendation:
    Before you perform this major repair procedure, do create a disk image.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

Recommended: Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper (free) + their boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.

dalchina, Apr 29, 2016
  11. esebm Win User
    Wow, that's quite a bit of information. I need to digest this, maybe I can try it over the weekend.
    Thanks a lot for all your work.
    Ed

esebm, Apr 29, 2016
  12. esebm Win User
    Hi,After re-reading post #8 I'm not sure that I can do an in-place upgrade because I do not have an installation medium. My PC came with Win 7 and MS basically upgraded to Win 10 via the Internet.

esebm, May 2, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

Win 10 iso's are freely downloadable. See the tutorial section - search for 'iso' about the 5th or 6th.

A general search for
    download "windows 10" iso
    also works.

Useful for some non-booting situations e.g. startup repair, system restore etc..

There's also a link in the in-place upgrade tutorial:
    A) If you have not already, you will need to download a Windows 10 ISO file.

dalchina, May 2, 2016
  14. derekimo Win User
  15. esebm Win User
    Thanks, got it downloaded but haven't reinstalled yet.

esebm, May 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Cannot change desktop background in win 10 - Similar Threads - Cannot change desktop

2. Desktop background will not change.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop background will not change.: I cannot change my desktop background to anything but black I cannot add any pictures or desktop backgrounds I have checked settings themes and everything I could think of but I cannot find the problem please help*Moved from feedback....
  3. Desktop background will not change.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop background will not change.: I cannot change my desktop background to anything but black I cannot add any pictures or desktop backgrounds I have checked settings themes and everything I could think of but I cannot find the problem please help*Moved from feedback....
  4. Desktop background will not change.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot Change Windows 10 Desktop Background

Cannot Change Windows 10 Desktop Background: I am unable to change my Windows 10 Desktop Background to anything except the default blue windows screen or a solid color. I have ensured Windows is activated, disabled changed background blocking in gpedit.msc, changed the windows background in regedit.exe and ensured I...
  6. Cannot change desktop background

Cannot change desktop background: Hi. My desktop background is restricted and cannot be changed. Here is the problem:[ATTACH] I have also tried the Set As Background method but did not work. There was no error message. I think the ActiveDesktop key was enabled. [ATTACH] Both the registry editor and the...
  7. Change Desktop Background

Change Desktop Background: I want to change the Desktop Background, I want to put a picture of my granddaughter that I have on my PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-desktop-background/26184aba-aed7-4f05-ac92-8ace3ba1f30c
  8. Desktop background changed after MS update on Win 10 Pro

Desktop background changed after MS update on Win 10 Pro: [img] I started using my laptop with Win 10 Pro this morning. I rebooted once. I came back up very slow and when I got to the Desktop what I got was the image shown above. My background wallpaper was gone and something else was there. The background was -well I do not...
  9. Desktop Background in Win 10 same as Win 8.1pro

Desktop Background in Win 10 same as Win 8.1pro: I have a triple boot system: Win 7 HP 64bit, Win 8.1Pro, and Win 10 TP 6629. All updates are current. Each OS is on a separate SSD. Win 7 installed first, Win 8.1 second and Win 10 TP last. I believe the System Reserved partition in Win 10 TP controls the boot settings. I set...
  10. Change Desktop Background in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Desktop Background in Windows 10: How to: Change Desktop Background in Windows 10 How to Change your Desktop Background in Windows 10 Your desktop background (also called wallpaper) can be a picture from your personal collection or included with Windows, a solid color, or a slideshow playing selected...