Windows 10: Cannot change MSCONFIG from Selective to Normal Start Up

Discus and support Cannot change MSCONFIG from Selective to Normal Start Up in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi All, I have noticed in my fresh clean install of Windows 10 Pro, when running MSCONFIG that my system is set to Selective startup. If I select... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by GregH, Aug 29, 2015.

1. GregH Win User

Cannot change MSCONFIG from Selective to Normal Start Up

Hi All,

I have noticed in my fresh clean install of Windows 10 Pro, when running MSCONFIG that my system is set to Selective startup. If I select Normal startup and click Apply, it immediately defaults back to Selective startup again.

I also notice that one service under the Services tab is not selected - Geolocation Service. Here too, when I select it and click Apply, the check box is cleared again.

I have not disabled any start up programs. Only thing I did was uninstall MS Apps Get Office and Get Skype.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

:)

GregH, Aug 29, 2015
  2. treddall Win User

msconfig windows 10

cannot change msconfig to normal start up windows 10. after hitting apply it goes back to selective start up

treddall, Aug 29, 2015
  3. Bill A57 Win User
    Start menu not working Windows 10

Follow up to my initial questions. I tried to do a diagnostic reboot by going into msconfig. Was unsuccessful. However now I cannot reset msconfig to start up normally. when I click normal start and click Apply, the radio button moves to selective startup
    with "load system services filled in with black. Something is preventing msconfig settings from applying.

Bill A57, Aug 29, 2015
  4. altae Win User

Mine is also set to selective startup, seems normal. And for services the services.msc tool is far better to configure them.

altae, Aug 29, 2015
  5. GregH Win User
    I have 2 other desktop PC's (my kids) and both show Normal startup as the setting? Thus there must be something that makes it revert to this?

GregH, Aug 29, 2015
  6. davexnet Win User
    I've seen situations before where if you set diagnostic or selective mode and then install or uninstall something,
    it's not possible to set normal mode. Doesn't happen all the time, but certain situations cause a conflict and Windows
    is not able to copy all the registry entries back for normal mode.

davexnet, Aug 29, 2015
  7. topgundcp Win User
    This is a normal behaviour. All my PC's are running in selective mode and the reason for that is if you disable any service(s), startup item(s) then it becomes "Selective"

topgundcp, Aug 29, 2015
  8. cay93 Win User

Msconfig exhibits the similar behavior on my pc but in a different part, I select the max memory to my specs and it reverts to off or 0.

cay93, Aug 29, 2015
  9. Elbern Win User
    Hello GregH,

I did a format on hdd and did a clean install of win 10x64 home,

I posted a message for LFSVC service (geolocation service) not working if i used msconfig.

The solution is to boot into Safe mode.

1: Hold shift while in start menu, and press restart.
    The win re environment will load.

2: select parameters

3: computer reboot, select option 4 or 5 to choose safe mode.

4: In safe mode, right clic on start menu, and run administrator command prompt.

5: wright "msconfig " without " and " then press enter

6: in ms config, select normal boot, and check it activate all services in services menu.

7: leave ms config and click restart on the box that appear.

8: enjoy, Geoloc is working again, and if trying to run the service manually, it won't complain again about missing file.

ps i had the same problem playing with msconfig settings when i did a in place upgrade of win 7.

There is something that need to be fixed with msconfig or geoloc service, by microsoft maybe ?

Elbern, Aug 29, 2015
  10. Teflon Win User
    I also had an issue with Geolocation Services not running, and in my case it was preventing Cortana from working. It transpires there is a known issue with Win 10 that means that, if Geolocation Services is disabled for any reason, it cannot be re-enabled through normal methods. I found the solution on a Microsoft support site, and in my case, I edited the Registry as described, did a restart, and was then able to re-enable Geolocation Services. The proscribed solution is below in bold.

Hope this helps,

Cliff

"Geolocation

After disabling the Geolocation Service by changing startup type to Disabled, attempts to re-enable it will fail with an error message. As the Geolocation Service can no longer be started, Geolocation will remain disabled on the device and prevent location based functionality from working. To work around this issue, manually delete the following regkey using regedit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lfsvc\TriggerInfo\3."

Teflon, Aug 29, 2015
  11. Elbern Win User
    Thanks Teflon,
    But if it's a thing that does appear because of using msconfig and disabling all services,
    Running msconfig again from Safe Boot will fix it if selecting normal boot.

So it's two different issue on same service, too bad *Sad

Elbern, Aug 30, 2015
  12. Teflon Win User
    Possibly the same issue, but with 2 possible solutions? I would assume (should never assume!) that deleting the Registry key would also prevent it from recurring if the service is subsequently disabled again, but have to confess I haven't tried to find out. *Redface

Cliff

Teflon, Aug 30, 2015
  13. altae Win User

That would explain why mine is set to selective. I disabled lot's of services and auto starts that I don't need and don't want.

altae, Aug 30, 2015
  14. GregH Win User
    I have succumbed to frustration and reinstalled clean from USB ISO. This time on a brand new SSD out the box. Immediately after Windows was finished loading and on the Desktop for the very first time, I ran msConfig and it again shows the startup in Selective and won't let me change it. This with zero programs installed. I also used Express Settings in the install so as not to shut any features off.

Thinking that there must be an issue with Win 10 and my Motherboard maybe unles people actually check this they would not know so it might be an issue that goes unnoticed by most, assuming that I am not the only one. The geolocation service is active at least.

GregH, Aug 31, 2015
  15. GregH Win User
    I have finally solved this by clean installing Win10 from a MS DVD. Normal Start up was showing after a clean install. For some reason the USB ISO had issues, even though I Downloaded the ISO twice.

GregH, Aug 31, 2015
Thema:

1. Cannot change MSCONFIG from Selective to Normal Start Up - Similar Threads - Cannot change MSCONFIG

2. I changed my msconfig settings from selective start up to normal when i restartted it shows...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I changed my msconfig settings from selective start up to normal when i restartted it shows...: Help me to fix this i made repair boot in advanced options and done /fixmbr and /fixboot but there is nothings that happened so i think i may enter msconfig and change it to selective startup again it will work but how?...
  3. I changed my msconfig settings from selective start up to normal when i restartted it shows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I changed my msconfig settings from selective start up to normal when i restartted it shows...: Help me to fix this i made repair boot in advanced options and done /fixmbr and /fixboot but there is nothings that happened so i think i may enter msconfig and change it to selective startup again it will work but how?...
  4. I changed my msconfig settings from selective start up to normal when i restartted it shows...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. selective start up cant change to normal start up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    selective start up cant change to normal start up: discovered this issue by chance trying to figure out why the start up was slowerin msconfig its starting in selective start up, when i click normal start up and reboot no warning or notice to do so as it should, goes back to selective start up each timealso the apply button...
  6. selective start up cant change to normal start up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    selective start up cant change to normal start up: discovered this issue by chance trying to figure out why the start up was slowerin msconfig its starting in selective start up, when i click normal start up and reboot no warning or notice to do so as it should, goes back to selective start up each timealso the apply button...
  7. cannot start msconfig in normal startup

cannot start msconfig in normal startup: I cannot get my computer to start in nomal start up. It keeps starting in selective startup. I have tried everything. Can anyone give an answer to this problem please. AlanLane5...
  8. Msconfig is selective not normal

Msconfig is selective not normal: I have tried to set to normal by applying but it reverts to selective. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/msconfig-is-selective-not-normal/4f88e2be-a92d-4996-a591-7e170852ec2b
  9. Normal Start Up OR Selective Start Up

in Windows 10 Support
    Normal Start Up OR Selective Start Up: Another thread prompted me to have a look see at msconfig. To my surprise I find I'm operating with "Selective Start UP: [img] Only twice has this machine been accessed by someone other than myself, 1. A Microsoft Tech (3rd party) for Office installation and 2. A...
  10. need help with my toshiba satellite and normal start up from msconfig

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    need help with my toshiba satellite and normal start up from msconfig: Hello and good day to everyone, I am new and this is my first post. I am having an issue where after trying to get the system to recognize the rest of the ram, I decided to click on normal start up from the general tab, but after selecting and rebooting my laptop will not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. clean install windows 10 and selective start up

2. msconfig cannot change windows 7