Windows 10: Cannot change network location from public to Private - why

Discus and support Cannot change network location from public to Private - why in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have extensively viewed the net for a solution, and have tried (as far as I know) every suggestion to make the change without success. Your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Skofab, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Skofab Win User

Cannot change network location from public to Private - why

I have extensively viewed the net for a solution, and have tried (as far as I know) every suggestion to make the change without success.
    Your comments/suggestions would be welcomed
    Thanks in advance

:)

Skofab, Nov 3, 2015
  2. Simkyn.C Win User

how do you change a network from public to private?

This link gives multiple options in order to change from public to private depending on the type of network you need to change:

How to Set Network Location to be Public or Private in Windows 10

Hope that helps.

Simkyn.C, Nov 3, 2015
  3. jaykaywa Win User
    Windows 10 change wireless network from public to private

As of April 2016 that tutorial is out of date. Microsoft changed the settings and again disappeared the option to change from public to private network.

jaykaywa, Nov 3, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

How to change your network location to Private in Windows 10 | The Digital Lifestyle.com

Also, in the comments on that page:
    There is an easier way than this too. Click the Network icon in the system tray and then click the network you want to change. This will open up Settings (new Control Panel) in "Network & Internet" and you should see your connection (in my case I'm using Ethernet so that is what opens). Now click on the network that you are connected to and this opens up a new page showing your current connection properties. At the top of that page is a switch to turn on "Find devices and content".
    That might be on or off depending on the current Public or Private status of the network. I can't check Wi-Fi at the moment but I suspect it is very similar.

I just tried the comment method and it only works for wired ethernet connections, but the method explained in the article itself works with WiFi.

NavyLCDR, Nov 3, 2015
  5. sml156 Win User
    sml156, Nov 3, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    That only changes the name of the network - not whether the network is public or private.

NavyLCDR, Nov 3, 2015
  7. Edwin New Member
    Cannot change network location from public to Private - why [​IMG]

Cannot change network location from public to Private - why [​IMG]

Edwin, Nov 3, 2015
  8. Skofab Win User

Sorry Guys - I should have mentioned that my laptop uses a wireless connection.

Skofab, Nov 3, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Then you use the method provided in the article I linked to. The option is in homegroup settings.

NavyLCDR, Nov 3, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Nov 3, 2015
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    That's cool, didn't know where that exact option was for WiFi networks!

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot change network location from public to Private - why - Similar Threads - Cannot change network

2. Cannot change network from public to private

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot change network from public to private: hello greetings from cloudy Scotland! I would like to ask community for help with network policy. I want to keep all PCs in private net but every time I reset PCs network changes from private to public. I tried to change network from public to private using admin account...
  3. Cannot change network profile from Public to Private

Cannot change network profile from Public to Private: I have searched and seen numerous posts about the latest builds of Windows 10 removing the easy way to change your network profile from Public to Private, and vice versa. I have tried both the Powershell (Admin) method and the registry change method. With both, the changes do...
  4. Changing Network Status from public to private

Changing Network Status from public to private: How do I change a network status from public to private in windows 10 version 1803? * Moved from Community Participation Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-network-status-from-public-to-private/ca5e16a5-28ca-407a-be65-3d7e15a905c2
  5. Cannot change laptop network type from public to private

Cannot change laptop network type from public to private: Win10 ver 1803 laptop connected to router by ethernet cable. Network type is shown as public. Going through settings and clicking on the network should give a screen with the top section being 'network profile' but that section just isn't there. The first section is 'metered...
  6. Network changed from Private to Public

Network changed from Private to Public: I have windows 10 version 1803 now my wifi network connection shows public not private so I can not get to the internet. HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-changed-from-private-to-public/503943f0-a5e9-483e-b1ef-a964d4e99178
  7. How to change public network to private

How to change public network to private: My wife's laptop jumped into public network mode yesterday for no known reason. I remember that it happened to my desktop last year, and I found instructions online showing how to change it back. So yesterday we searched online and she found the secpol.msc method. I...
  8. How to change public network to private

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change public network to private: My wife's laptop jumped into public network mode yesterday for no known reason. I remember that it happened to my desktop last year, and I found instructions online showing how to change it back. So yesterday we searched online and she found the secpol.msc method. I...
  9. change network location from public to private

change network location from public to private: Hi guys I am running a laptop with windows 10 , so how do I change the network profile from public to private . thanks 86368
  10. Change Network from Public to Private

Change Network from Public to Private: So I have Windows 10 up and running...How do I change my home Wi-Fi from Public networks to Private? I also want to join my homegroup however cannot seem to figure it out.... Thanks 12023