Windows 10: Cannot change Windows 10 themes

Discus and support Cannot change Windows 10 themes in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Can anyone please help? I have downloaded several theme packages from the net. I right click on my desktop screen, then on personalize, themes and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Jelkap4u, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Jelkap4u Win User

Cannot change Windows 10 themes

Can anyone please help? I have downloaded several theme packages from the net. I right click on my desktop screen, then on personalize, themes and then theme settings. I get the classic screen for changing themes. I choose a theme package but then cannot choose a background from within that theme. The usual window that has "slide show" under it doesn't come up anywhere. How do I solve this issue please? Thank you to anyone who can help!

:)

Jelkap4u, Jul 29, 2015

2. Windows 10 getting back my ever changing screen saver/themes

tried "change theme settings" for windows 10... wont let me change them.... i.e shuffle or top rated... indeed I cannot change the theme at all in windows 10... is this a BUG? thanks keef

KeefHellinger, Jul 29, 2015
  3. M4R71N Win User
    How to change the time interval between desktop theme pictures in Windows 10

How do I change the time interval between desktop theme pictures in Windows 10?

Older versions of windows allowed the user to pick the time between slides. Cannot see an option in the themes screen on windows 10.

M4R71N, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Cannot change Windows 10 themes

There is a directory where the theme files, including the theme pictures are stored, when installing a new theme.

look in this directory %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Themes ( just open up explorer, and then copy and paste the address in the address bar and it should take you where the theme files are.)

After that, just open the folder with the name of the theme you installed.
    All of the desktop backgrounds are in a separate folder called DesktopBackground

Press START and choose settings.
    Navigate to the Personalization option/icon
    Under "Choose albums for your slideshow", browse for that directory where the them files are saved, %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Themes

Choose the DesktopBackground folder and it should start displaying the pictures from that folder on the desktop background.

If you want to choose certain pictures to display, or be in the slide show:

Copy the theme folder contents to the desktop
    Go in to DesktopBackgrounds folder
    select the pictures that you DONT want and delete them
    And the go back in to settings and change the album directory to the DesktopBackgrounds on the desktop which now contains the pictures that you want.

If you just want on picture from the theme,
    Again just open the theme folder and select the picture
    Open the picture and then set it as background.

I know it gets little complicated to do customization, but that is because MS is still patching and updating windows 10, hopefully in the next few weeks there will be updates that fix some of these issues. *Smile

haswelli5core12, Jul 29, 2015
  5. hawkman Win User
    its in a different place you have to scroll down, also gives the screensaver time changes, as well been using my GT graphics slideshow for the last 4 versions of 10TP

settings>personalisation>background>browse>select your theme from download folder

Roy

hawkman, Jul 29, 2015
  6. rmgross1 Win User
    Cannot find %localappdata% directory.

rmgross1, Aug 4, 2015
  7. Following up on this, once you d/l the new theme, use something like 7zip to expand the theme to a known location. Then using the instructions from post #3 above, choose the image you want for your background from the expanded file. (Windows 10 does not yet know how to find the images from the deskthemepack file... you need to manually expand it first)

speedlever, Aug 10, 2015
  8. Hushify Win User

Try finding the picture in Internet explorer or do what others suggested.

Hushify, Aug 11, 2015
  9. Loanshark Win User
    Why Microsoft chose to change the app for themes that was present in the prior two versions is a loss to me? It was so easy to not only choose the theme, then pictures, even timing of rotation and other features that made sense as part of a theme? Makes one scratch their head and ask "what were they thinking?". Maybe, maybe it will be returned in a future version as a normal option. Yes, I have found a work-a-round.... but shouldn't have to.

Loanshark, Aug 15, 2015
  10. pbdrmmr Win User
    It should work if you paste the whole line into the File Explorer address line (assuming that your settings show that).

On my machine the whole line resolves to
    This PC>HP(C: >Users>[MyName]>AppData>Local>Microsoft>Windows>Themes

The directory AppData is a hidden directory. To see it, at the top of File Explorer, click on View. On the far right, click Options>View and choose Show hidden files, folders, and drives.

Hope this helps.

pbdrmmr, Sep 4, 2015
  11. SirRickie Win User
    Tnx. It worked fine for me. Once you find the directory, it is easy to choose the theme or pictures. And then you can finetune it with a time of rotation. Perfect.

SirRickie, Sep 13, 2015
  12. I too could not find %localappdata% directory. Instead I searched Windows Themes in C: directory and was able to easily find the Themes folders in C:/Themes. I then copied them to my desktop for easy access. *Smile

tlloveland, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot change Windows 10 themes - Similar Threads - Cannot change themes

2. How to Change the Cursor Theme with Change in System Theme?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Change the Cursor Theme with Change in System Theme?: I am a Windows 11 UserI use Auto Dark Mode App to switch between light and dark mode automatically. What I want is, with the change in the System theme from light to dark, it should automatically change the Cursor theme too. Is there a way to do so?Also I use an App called...
  3. How to Change the Cursor Theme with Change in System Theme?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Change the Cursor Theme with Change in System Theme?: I am a Windows 11 UserI use Auto Dark Mode App to switch between light and dark mode automatically. What I want is, with the change in the System theme from light to dark, it should automatically change the Cursor theme too. Is there a way to do so?Also I use an App called...
  4. Windows 10 theme is not changing the background?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 theme is not changing the background?: Hi all. I've been using a Windows 10 theme for the summer, and it seemed to work normally. I had it set for the background image to change daily, and it did. But now I've installed a fall theme (both of them from Microsoft directly) and the background never changes. I've had...
  5. Change Windows 10 theme

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change Windows 10 theme: Hello, do not be tired I wanted to ask how to change the Windows theme that does not come up through the boot menu and cmd or through the mini boot? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-windows-10-theme/2f190be7-78d7-4839-8e60-8194a1c2cc81
  6. windows 10 themes scrolls up to first theme every change

windows 10 themes scrolls up to first theme every change: hi, i have so many themes and i have a tall big list of themes i scroll down to change the theme and minimize to see how colors look on desktop i go back i found themes have scrolled to top i have to scroll down tens or hundreds theme to find where i stopped i wont...
  7. cannot change the theme

cannot change the theme: I work at a school and kids are changing the theme on the computers to all black. When I try to go in to change it back, I cannot click on anything. I did finally figure out how to take it off of high contrast black, but I cannot change the rest back. Nothing happens when...
  8. Windows 10: Theme Color Not Changing?

Windows 10: Theme Color Not Changing?: This is a problem I've seen solved in Vista a lot, but isn't something I can find a help thread for at all with Windows 10. :/ I am unable to change the theme color from an icky blue. I can change the desktop, I can enable and disable the color on the Start, taskbar, etc., I...
  9. Change Theme in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Theme in Windows 10: How to: Change Theme in Windows 10 How to Change the Theme in Windows 10 In Windows, you can use themes to help make your desktop feel a little more personal. Themes change the pointers on your PC all at once, and you can switch between themes as often as you like....
  10. Change Microsoft Edge Theme in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Microsoft Edge Theme in Windows 10: How to: Change Microsoft Edge Theme in Windows 10 How to Change the Theme of Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible with...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot change theme in windows 2010

2. cannot change themes in windows 10

3. cannot change windows 10 theme