Windows 10: Cannot change windows update settings

Discus and support Cannot change windows update settings in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I do not want Windows 10 to update and restart my PC automatically - I want to decide when that is done. In the Settings it is fixed at 'Automatic'... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by pewe, Aug 23, 2015.

1. pewe Win User

Cannot change windows update settings

I do not want Windows 10 to update and restart my PC automatically - I want to decide when that is done.

In the Settings it is fixed at 'Automatic' update.

I have followed two suggestions to alter the setting that searches turned up, but neither have worked so far.

Can anyone suggest how I get over this problem.

NOTE:
    Here are the 2 Methods I tried.

:)

2. Cannot change update settings - Win10

Ah, I see, I do hope it's not a malware... but anyway, I'm not really sure which key or GPO you mean, so sorry if what I'm doing is incorrect....

I tried finding options in the gpedit based on what I know, is this what you mean?

Cannot change windows update settings [​IMG]

If so, how long does it take for the new setting to take effect? I remember setting that to "Not Configured" before, but nothing happened even after a restart. :/

And if not, could you kindly tell me which key I need to modify?

Thank you for your patience.

fakejirachi, Aug 23, 2015
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Aug 23, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Pewe,

If you like, you can use the recommended setting in OPTION ONE in the tutorial below to disable automatic updates. Whenever you set a group policy for update settings, it will disable them from being able to be changed in Setting like in the example screenshots in the same tutorial below. *Smile

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Aug 23, 2015
  5. pewe Win User
    Thanks Brink.

In fact what I had already done is what you have detailed in Option One, but I set it for '5. Allow local admin to choose setting' - but it did not work. The setting still had 'Automatic' in a Grayed out box.

I just tried it again but used '3. Auto download and notify for install', and this worked, showing 'Notify to Install' in a grayed out box.

Can't understand why 5. does not work to allow changes from a drop down list, but at least I have control over when the updates are applied - I hope.

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yeah, 5 doesn't work since Microsoft doesn't include the options in Windows Update settings like in Windows 7/8.

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot change windows update settings - Similar Threads - Cannot change update

2. Cannot change default apps in settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot change default apps in settings: Profile is administratorClick SETTINGSClick APPSClick DEFAULT APPSClick the > to expand the list of associationsNOTHING after that works...I can click all day on the bar, and the extension anything, and nothing will bring up the normal menu to choose the default program.I...
  3. External Touchpad setting cannot be changed by Windows 10 Setting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Touchpad setting cannot be changed by Windows 10 Setting: I have a laptop computer, and I want to use an external touchpad+keyboard. This external touchpad+keyboard connects to the laptop using Bluetooth, driver is installed by windows. There is no vendor specific driver available. The touchpad and keyboard works upon successful...
  4. External Touchpad setting cannot be changed by Windows 10 Setting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Touchpad setting cannot be changed by Windows 10 Setting: I have a laptop computer, and I want to use an external touchpad+keyboard. This external touchpad+keyboard connects to the laptop using Bluetooth, driver is installed by windows. There is no vendor specific driver available. The touchpad and keyboard works upon successful...
  5. External Touchpad setting cannot be changed by Windows 10 Setting

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. updates changing settings

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    updates changing settings: Is there a way to get the updates without completely resetting all of the settings on my computer? Cortana is irredeemable. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/updates-changing-settings/17e9ab32-37ec-45f8-ae10-4d9300a8bf2e
  7. I cannot change settings on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    I cannot change settings on Windows 10: As mentioned above, I cannot adjust the settings of my PC, for some reason I also cannot run dxdiag on my PC as I get a "Bad Image" error. I have tried running Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth but I get the error "The system has attempted to load or restore a file...
  8. Change Windows Update Settings

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Change Windows Update Settings: Is it possible with windows 10 (like windows 7) where I can change the Windows Update Settings so I get notified if there are new updates available and download them, rather than Windows just downloading and installing the updates? So if there was an update I didn't want...
  9. Cannot Change Administrator Settings

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot Change Administrator Settings: CP - User Acounts: Can't change to 'Administrator' from 'Standard' Although User is considered 'Administrator' the User Account indicates 'Standard' and cannot be changed to 'Administrator' 12683
  10. cannot change windows update settings

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    cannot change windows update settings: I tried to change the windows update settings and I can’t!!!!! I get a message saying that some settings are managed by my system administrator!!!!! I am the only user in this laptop with administrator privileges… How comes that I can’t change the settings? 2483