Windows 10: cannot click on searched for programs

Discus and support cannot click on searched for programs in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Whenever I search for a program in Start Menu, I cannot click on it. And I cannot right-click on it either. It's stuck like that. Everything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lethargos, Jun 21, 2017.

1. lethargos Win User

cannot click on searched for programs

Hi,

Whenever I search for a program in Start Menu, I cannot click on it. And I cannot right-click on it either. It's stuck like that. Everything else works correctly.

For some reason not all programs act like that. For instance, when searching for it, I cannot click on Outlook 2016, Snipping Tool, the other office applications, but I can click on what seem to be the built-in applications, such as calendar, calculator.

Windows 10 is installed under VirtualBox on a Macbook Pro 2015.

Any ideas what's going on?

I've already run sfc /scannow.

:)

lethargos, Jun 21, 2017
  2. HiTechJim Win User

How do i remove bug splat?

Does not come up in program list so cannot uninstall it! Getting frustrated!!!

HiTechJim, Jun 21, 2017
  3. Cannot open all programs from search bar

Hello, my search bar is messed up. It can find the programs I search for just fine. However, it cannot open them when I press enter or click on them. What's really odd is that a few of the default Windows programs will open.

For example, I can open "Calculator" and "Settings" fine in the search bar. But I cannot open "Warthunder"(game) or "Google Chrome."

How can I fix this? Thanks!

SearchIsMessedUp, Jun 21, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, with similar symptoms, a user found that if they created a new user, all was ok.

Please try doing that, logging in as the new user, and see if the same problem exists.

If this works when logged in as the new user, then
    - it's some sort of corruption of the old user account
    or
    - it's something loading which is interfering.

It is then not Windows system files or settings corruption.

Note: if this has just happened and you have usable System Restore points, you could try System Restore.

t would also help if you know of any changes made before this problem occurred.

dalchina, Jun 22, 2017
  5. lethargos Win User
    Thanks. It seems to be working. Rather annoying, though.

(For anyone who might have encountered this rather particular problem: I'm using AD, so I tried to delete the profile of the user who had the problem. The user is an AD admin. So I logged in with a non-admin user in order to delete the user's profile, so when it asked for an admin password to access the advanced system settings, I used the credentials of the user whom I wanted to delete - and of course, the delete button was greyed out. I had to temporarily make the standard user a local administrator in order to get it done. So, yes, don't use the credentials of the user you're trying to delete, because it won't work, even if you're logged in with another user. It's quite logical, actually).

lethargos, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. cannot click on searched for programs - Similar Threads - cannot click searched

2. I cannot right click on taskbar program icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot right click on taskbar program icons: Windows 10, 22H2, build 19045.3324Of course, I have googled this and have found similar situations. I CAN right click on windows icon and the icons on the right part of the taskbar notif icon, time icon, network icon, etc.I CANNOT right click on pinned and open programs! I...
  3. I cannot right click on taskbar program icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    I cannot right click on taskbar program icons: Windows 10, 22H2, build 19045.3324Of course, I have googled this and have found similar situations. I CAN right click on windows icon and the icons on the right part of the taskbar notif icon, time icon, network icon, etc.I CANNOT right click on pinned and open programs! I...
  4. I cannot right click on taskbar program icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot Click/Use Windows Search Bar.

in Cortana
    Cannot Click/Use Windows Search Bar.: I am unable to access the search bar on my taskbar. I cannot click it at all. Cortana and the Windows button still work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-clickuse-windows-search-bar/ba09c81d-9ea7-4d4a-834b-e67f6d4e58d7
  6. Right click on Start Menu not working, also can't left click on program search result

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right click on Start Menu not working, also can't left click on program search result: I have this problem since I reinstalled Windows 10 (not the hard reset, just the components). https://i.gyazo.com/bcb5ee26886cb465d1f357f1707a54aa.gif If I want to right click on the Start icon, my mouse pointer just moves up like in the GIF shown. Also, if I open up...
  7. Cannot open programs upon searching for them

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot open programs upon searching for them: Okay this has been going on for a while and I've dealt with it up until now, but I want to get it fixed just so I don't have to use the back door to initiate a program. Whenever I search for a program (like cmd, run, control panel), the program shows up in the search...
  8. No program associated with folders (Cannot double click to open)

in Windows 10 Support
    No program associated with folders (Cannot double click to open): Hi there folks. I'm pretty new to the forum side of things, (or at least this forum, that is) so I'll cut right to the chase! Recently, after performing a windows update I've become unable to open folders and drives, regardless of their location (desktop, etc) by means of...
  9. Search doesn't search programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Search doesn't search programs: Whenever I want to search for a specific program it doesn't show anything. For example if I search 'Steam' a program that exist in the OS, it will find nothing. I also noticed that it doesn't search files that aren't inside the OS drive. (A song on another HDD) Did...
  10. Windows 10 cannot search programs anymore

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 cannot search programs anymore: It used to be that i was able to hit the windows key and start typing in things but i cant do it anymore.. i have to find it through the 'all apps' and the program im trying to find isn't in there but i know i could find it from searching for it.. help is welcome 49594