Windows 10: Cannot click other apps from taskbar when Chrome is open

Discus and support Cannot click other apps from taskbar when Chrome is open in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I'm having a really annoying problem since I updated to Windows 10. When Google Chrome is open and when thats the app I'm using, I can't click... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kathleenwithak, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Cannot click other apps from taskbar when Chrome is open

Hi,

I'm having a really annoying problem since I updated to Windows 10. When Google Chrome is open and when thats the app I'm using, I can't click other open apps from my taskbar. Like for example if I have Word open as well, I can't switch to Word just by clicking on to the tab at the bottom. I have to minimize Chrome, and then click on Word at the bottom.

It seems to only do this when Chrome is app I'm using. If I have Word and Spotify open, switching between those two from the taskbar isn't a problem.

Can anyone help?

:)

kathleenwithak, Dec 6, 2016
  2. WSlosarik Win User

How to pin Google Chrome apps to the Windows 10 task bar.

Open Chrome from the desktop. Choose your app. Left click on tab and select Pin the Tab. Delete all other tabs.

Go to settings from the menu pulldown. Select Open a Specific Page option of the On Startup section. Click Set Pages link and select Current Page option. Delete all other URLs in the list. Click OK. Kill settings tab.

On the menu pulldown of your pinned tab select More Tools and then Add to Taskbar.

Click on the Windows Start Button in the lower left corner. Select All Apps. Expand the Chrome Apps. Right click one of the symbols in the list below. Select Open File Location. You will see a file explorer list of the saved Google apps that you pinned to
    the taskbar but that did not show up on the taskbar.

Right click on your app and select Pin to Taskbar. Repeat for all desired Google Chrome apps.

WSlosarik, Dec 6, 2016
  3. CalTigger Win User
    Taskbar Icon Combine and Hide Feature fails in Google Chrome After Latest W10 Update

Hello.

This is not a specific Google Chrome Issue. If I have any other app or program up...I cannot switch from any open operation by clicking on the icon in the taskbar. For instance. I scan documents to email them for work. If I have my scanner dialogue window
    open and currently on top, if I click on my spreadsheet icon or open Google Chrome window...nothing happens. The scanner screen will blink a couple times but I cannot switch to any other program. I literally have to minimize the current scanner app in order
    to see the other apps I've got open.

I hope this helps.

This is so annoying that I'm about ready to restore my system back to Windows 8.1.

CalTigger, Dec 6, 2016
  4. Cannot click other apps from taskbar when Chrome is open

Welcome to the Ten forum.

When you say updated to Windows 10 did you update from Windows 8.x? I ask as I believe in Windows 8.1 you could get chrome as a real app rather than a program. Like the way you could run IE. I know this sounds like double talk, aren't all apps just programs?

I believe if you click on the three bars in upper right, may be three dots if they are keeping look and feel the same, there is a way to sign out of app and go back to the "desktop" version.

Failing that I would uninstall chrome and then re-install. There is a downside to this as you will lose installed extension / apps and bookmarks unless you save them. Now if you sign into Chrome so your Chrome experience is replicated across your devices as I do, then that info should be in cloud and will reappear when you sign in. I would still do some screen prints of extension installed so you can quickly re-install and you call google where chrome has saved your bookmarks for a quick backup.

Caledon Ken, Dec 9, 2016
Thema:

Cannot click other apps from taskbar when Chrome is open

1. Cannot click other apps from taskbar when Chrome is open - Similar Threads - Cannot click apps

2. When I click on an open app on my Taskbar it doesn't open on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I click on an open app on my Taskbar it doesn't open on desktop: When I click on the Microsoft edge icon on the Taskbar it doesn't open on the desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-click-on-an-open-app-on-my-taskbar-it/9bc7fc4c-6c95-4da1-875d-9a55557709da
  3. When I click on an open app on my Taskbar it doesn't open on desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I click on an open app on my Taskbar it doesn't open on desktop: When I click on the Microsoft edge icon on the Taskbar it doesn't open on the desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-click-on-an-open-app-on-my-taskbar-it/9bc7fc4c-6c95-4da1-875d-9a55557709da
  4. Chrome and all other apps crash as soon as they open

Chrome and all other apps crash as soon as they open: I just got a new computer for black Friday and I tried to install chrome and it opened just for a few seconds the first time then after that. I can see the app open then it closes before the window is even fully loaded less than half a second. I tried with other apps too...
  5. Apps won't open from taskbar, or open behind all other open screens

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Apps won't open from taskbar, or open behind all other open screens: I have a new Dell computer running on Windows 10. Upon originally setting it up, the taskbar either 1. Will not open any of the apps on it, or 2. if it does open an app, it opens it up behind ever other currently open screen. You can only open apps on the front screen by...
  6. all the other apps except chrome is not opening

all the other apps except chrome is not opening: I have recently been experiencing te problem that all the other apps except chrome is not opening. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/apps/cc058a96-02dc-4637-b177-d4fe2ab33329
  7. When I click on an app, it is locked to the toolbar, and cannot open

When I click on an app, it is locked to the toolbar, and cannot open: when tying to open an app, I click the icon on the home page. However, the icon locks on the toolbar and I cannot open the app up. Other apps work OK How to correct?...
  8. Cannot access holder when click Chrome icon

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot access holder when click Chrome icon: When click the chrome icon, no folder can be access except received a message: " something went wrong while displaying this webpage" and at the low right hand corner another message displayed : "Grammarly for Chrome has crashed \. Click this ballon to reload the extension"...
  9. Google chrome icon on taskbar duplicates when clicked

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Google chrome icon on taskbar duplicates when clicked: Hi, I recently noticed that when I click on my chrome icon that is pinned to my taskbar, the chrome icon duplicates and the application opens in the duplicated icon. The original icon does nothing. I tried unpinning the original icon and pinning the new icon to the taskbar....
  10. Minimize Chrome to taskbar with click

in Windows 10 Customization
    Minimize Chrome to taskbar with click: I have always been able to minimize applications to the taskbar when clicking on that icon on the taskbar but lately Google Chrome wouldn't (every thing else minimizes when clicking on it) I can click on the Chrome icon on the taskbar to open the browser but when I click on...