Windows 10: Cannot connect from a Networked Win 7 PC to a Win 10 Laptop

Discus and support Cannot connect from a Networked Win 7 PC to a Win 10 Laptop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am assuming that this is a Win 10 problem. I have 2 networked Laptops, one is a Win 10, one a Win 7, and a networked Win 7 PC. I am unable to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mb300e, Mar 19, 2018.

1. mb300e Win User

Cannot connect from a Networked Win 7 PC to a Win 10 Laptop

I am assuming that this is a Win 10 problem.

I have 2 networked Laptops, one is a Win 10, one a Win 7, and a networked Win 7 PC.
    I am unable to connect from Win 7 Desktop to a Windows 10 Laptop but I can go the other way.

Win 7 Laptop to Win 10 Laptop is OK.
    Win 10 Laptop to Win 7 Laptop is OK.
    Win 10 Laptop to Win 7 Desktop is OK.
    Win 7 Desktop to Win 10 Laptop is NO GO.

I do not know whether it is a Win 10 Laptop or a Win 7 Desktop problem. All use the same Homegroup. I am the only user; there are no other accounts on any of the machines.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

:)

mb300e, Mar 19, 2018
  2. mbc320 Win User

I have 2 networked Laptops, one is a Win 10, one a Win 7, and a networked Win 7 PC.

I am unable to connect from Win 7 Desktop to a Windows 10 Laptop but I can go the other way.

Win 7 Laptop to Win 10 Laptop is OK.

Win 10 Laptop to Win 7 Laptop is OK.

Win 10 Laptop to Win 7 Desktop is OK.

Win 7 Desktop to Win 10 Laptop is NO GO.

I do not know whether it is a Win 10 Laptop or a Win 7 Desktop problem. All use the same Homegroup. I am the only user; there are no other accounts on any of the machines.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage

mbc320, Mar 19, 2018
  3. Cannot connect from a Networked Win 7 PC to a Win 10 Laptop

Can you open the "network" folder on all computers and make sure none of them show a prompt about network discovery? It should show as a yellow toolbar strip at the top of the folder view.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Mar 19, 2018
  4. Cannot connect from a Networked Win 7 PC to a Win 10 Laptop

Hi mb300e

Have you considered

a) deleting your homegroup entirely and recreating?

b) delete Homegroup and move to using User accounts and passwords. (assuming you are using passwords) I say this as Homegroup is being eliminated (as far as I know) with the next Feature update of Windows. (No release date that I know of but safe to assume very soon.)

c) You might also "Map a network drive".

Ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 22, 2018
  5. mb300e Win User
    Thanks, but I am not going to mess with HG right now, it has not been a problem to this point. I'll remove it when I have to, I did know it was going away.

Simply saying it is an NTFS permissions problem does not help; I knew that already. When I have posted the screen captures, maybe all will become clear.

Re. the permissions issue, wait until I post the screen captures then maybe we will all know what the cause is.

P.S. I do not use passwords and all my PCs and laptops have unique admin accounts with only one user, me.

mb300e, Apr 5, 2018
  6. mb300e Win User
    Hi Ken,

I have not done anything with Homegroup yet.

I have tried Map a Network Drive several times but there is no change.

I made a discovery the other day that may give us a clue. I wanted to move some Jpgs from the Win 7 laptop to the Win 10 Laptop. The WIn 7 has a 1TB drive "C" and the Win 10 has a 1TB drive partitioned in to two drives C and D. The bulk of my data files, pics, docs etc are on the Win 10 are in the D drive partition, the Op Sys being in C partition, thus making things easier for backup and restore operations.

The Win 10 laptop has 2 folders for Pictures, one on C "Pictures C" and another on D "Pictures D". I store the bulk of my pictures in "Pictures D". I have to tolerate Pictures C, as some apps default to there. I tried to move some files from the Win 7 laptop to the Win 10 "Pictures D" folder and was continually getting a no permission error. I was able to move them to the "Pictures C" without any trouble at all.

From the Win 7 laptop I opened the "Permissions windows for each of the two folders and noticed some differences in the settings. I did not have time due to a rapidly approaching departure time for "parts foreign" to do some screen captures or I would have attached them with this message. I will get them when I am home next week and post them in this thread.

Best regards,

Peter B.

mb300e, Apr 7, 2018
  7. Samuria Win User
    You need to remove home group as on the next update this week MS has removed it. It sounds like a simple NTFS permission problem on the folders

Samuria, Apr 7, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot connect from a Networked Win 7 PC to a Win 10 Laptop - Similar Threads - Cannot connect Networked

2. No access to Win 10 folders from networked Win 7 PC or Win 7 Laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No access to Win 10 folders from networked Win 7 PC or Win 7 Laptop: About 4 weeks ago I found I could no longer access any Win 10 folders from my Win 7 PC or Win 7 laptop. I have done the following to try to resolve this. 1) On Win 7 machines. deleted mapped drives and tried to re-map them – Failed, could not even see the Win 10 Laptop when...
  3. Cannot Access Win 10 Laptop from Win 7 Desktop

Cannot Access Win 10 Laptop from Win 7 Desktop: Win 7 desktop is hardwired to Linksys ea8300 router and Win 10 laptop is connected via wifi. The Win 10 laptop can see the Win 7 desktop and its shares and connect to them. The win 7 desktop can see the win 10 tablet in the network but any attempt to access the laptop...
  4. How to Network WIN 7 to WIN 10

How to Network WIN 7 to WIN 10: I had asked this question previously and received an answer which somehow got deleted from my email. So please excuse the redundancy. I would like to network two computers. One has WIN 7 and the other WIN 10. As WIN 10 no longer supports home groups, I can't get them to see...
  5. WIN 10 connect to Win 7

WIN 10 connect to Win 7: How can I network two computers one WIN 10 and the other WIN 7. WIN 10 no longer has a home group facility. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/win-10-connect-to-win-7/b830d9bd-5e2d-401c-a8ec-845d4162bba7
  6. Cannot access Win 10 shared drive from Win 7 PC - SOLVED.

Cannot access Win 10 shared drive from Win 7 PC - SOLVED.: I have been fighting with this problem for about a week, but finally fixed it and for what it is worth would like to share (no pun intended) with other members. I have one Win 10 Laptop, one Win 7 Laptop and a Win 7 Desktop. My main machine is the Win 10 laptop which has...
  7. Issue connecting to Win 7 PC from Win 10

Issue connecting to Win 7 PC from Win 10: When on my Win 10 PC and go to Network > Win 7 PC. Instead of connecting and letting me see the shares, it gives me an "\\COMPUTERNAME is not accessible. You might not have permission..." error. On my Win 7 PC I have all the advanced sharing settings turned on. My Win 8...
  8. Networking Win 10 with Win 7

Networking Win 10 with Win 7: I have a desktop PC and two laptops all running Win 7 and networked through my router. I'd like to upgrade one of the laptops to Win 10 as a trial starter for probable upgrade on all but do not wish to lose the network connection in the meantime. Is that going to be a problem...
  9. No network connectivity after upgrade to win 10 from win 7

No network connectivity after upgrade to win 10 from win 7: I just upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 now the machine refuses to show the network adapters! Both adapters show in the device manager as running OK. I have tried to reinstall the drivers - win 10 says the latest driver is installed. I tried removing the adapters by...
  10. Can't Connect from Win 8 Laptop to Win 10 PC

Can't Connect from Win 8 Laptop to Win 10 PC: Hi . I have to devices at home - a laptop running Win 8 and a PC (with a local printer) that used to run Win 7 but which I recently upgraded to Win 10. I used to be able to connect my laptop to the PC to access the shared printer and files in a shared directory. Since I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 laptop cannot connect to win 7 laptop