Windows 10: Cannot connect Homegroup after the latest patch

Discus and support Cannot connect Homegroup after the latest patch in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After the Anniversary update on our two PCs, I find that Homegroup will not connect the two. One is running Pro 64-bit and the other runs Home 32-bit.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rzn6jw, Aug 6, 2016.

1. rzn6jw Win User

Cannot connect Homegroup after the latest patch

After the Anniversary update on our two PCs, I find that Homegroup will not connect the two. One is running Pro 64-bit and the other runs Home 32-bit.

I can leave the Homegroup on my PC (Pro) and on the other. Then I create a new Homegroup on my PC and get the password. However, the other PC does not see any Homegroup to join on the network (only the option to create a new Homegroup). I never had any problem with this prior to the update.

If I select My Computer, I can 'see' the other PC but when I select 'Open' and box comes up with ID and Password. My PC is the only one of the two that is password protected. The Home PC boots right to the desktop.

Anyone having the same issue or know of a workaround?

Thanks.

:)

rzn6jw, Aug 6, 2016
  2. OssieMac Win User

(Resolved) - Cannot find shared printer since latest Win 10 upgrade

I have 3 computers running Win 10. Up until yesterday all 3 shared the 2 printers that are connected to one of the computers.

The computer to which the printers are connected was previously running the original version of Win 10 and a few days ago it upgraded to the latest Win 10 upgrade. I had to set up the Homegroup again after the upgrade but sharing of printers continued to
    work on all 3 computers.

Yesterday another of the computers upgraded to the latest version of Win 10. Now I cannot get the shared printers to work on this computer. I have rejoined the Homegroup because it lost this during the upgrade but it cannot see the printers on the Homegroup
    and I cannot get them to work.

My third computer that still has the original Win 10 (not yet upgraded to the latest version) still has the shared printers working.

When I go into Homegroup on the main computer to which the printers are connected, it tells me "Windows detected another Homegroup on the network..... etc" and invites me to join it but I have not done so because I do not want to make the problem worse. This
    indicates that an additional Homegroup has somehow been set up on the recently upgraded computer. I suspect this is the problem and I have tried to remove it from the Homegroup and try to join the main Homegroup again but without success.

I suspect that the additional Homegroup is where the problem lies so how do I get rid of the additional Homegroup and allow the computer to Join the main Homegroup? I have tried leaving the Homegroup but when I rejoin, it does not even ask for a password;
    it appears to simply verify the password.

OssieMac, Aug 6, 2016
  3. Windows 10 post patch KB3176936, unable to show contents on shared USB disk drives

Hello, thanks for your troubleshooting.

I have no homegroup and I have the latest patch installed.

The problem is still the same.

Regards.

Marco Piñones, Aug 6, 2016
  4. rzn6jw Win User

I just noticed this troubling issue. I selected the Network Adapter and right clicked for Properties. Under the Networking section it shows a variety of items like Client for M/S Networks, Internet Protocol Version 4, etc. All the items are 'checked'. However, if you highlight an item the 'Install' button lights up, meaning, I think, that the item is not installed. Are they truly not installed?

Cannot connect Homegroup after the latest patch [​IMG]

rzn6jw, Aug 7, 2016
  5. Samuria Win User
    Have you got ipv6 running as homegroup wont work without it and it not keen on pc with no password

Samuria, Aug 7, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    To start off, Anniversary is not a Service Pack. It is a brand new OS. Microsoft is following the model set by Linux, Android OS and Apple for Mac OS. The only time that you may see a Service Pack, is when it is a update that is pushed to fix things until the next upgraded Windows 10 is released.

Network Sharing is a lot easier than Home Group. Home Group has never worked right from the beginning.

bro67, Aug 7, 2016
  7. rzn6jw Win User
    ipv6 and ipv4 are both running.

rzn6jw, Aug 7, 2016
  8. rzn6jw Win User

Found out another thing. Opening 'My Computer' on the second PC (Win 10 Home - no ID or password configured) I saw the icon for my PC (Win 10 Pro). I double clicked on the icon and got a sign-on box. On a whim, I entered the ID and password for my PC (Pro) and, wonder of wonders, my desktop and access to all my files appeared on the Home PC.

This is really scary as Homegroup did not allow access the the complete PC.

I sure hope Microsoft corrects Homegroup quickly.

rzn6jw, Aug 7, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    It has nothing to do with Home Group and as for correcting something that a lot of people are getting away from, since it is broken, they will not do much else on it, because it is a feature that hardly gets used.

As long as your other computer was online and it was Windows 10 installed. Your roaming profile will allow you to access any Windows 10 or Windows 8 machine anywhere that you want, as long as there are no restrictions on that machine.

bro67, Aug 7, 2016
  10. davefaz Win User
    I am having similar problems with the Homegroup. Windows is convinced that the Homegroup still exists but says that none of my PC's are in the Homegroup. I found that by powering up the master PC that initiated the Homegroup I could leave the Homegroup ( The other PC's must be powered DOWN ) and re-make it with all the PC's, but it is still not working. Although all the PC's say they are in the Homegroup, each PC now says that there is no other Homegroup PC online even when they are all powered up. I then got all the PC's to leave the Homegroup, but Windows is insistant that the old Homegroup is still present. As yet I have not found a solution. I seem unable to reset the Homegroup and unable to resolve the issues.

davefaz, Aug 7, 2016
  11. rzn6jw Win User
    bro67,

With Homegroup, I could put something (file, picture, etc) in a 'Public' folder on one PC and access that folder from the other PC. Now I can't. So how does my roaming profile have anything to do with accessing that PC? Every time I try from my PC, I get a sign-on alert even though that PC is not password protected. How can I sign on to a PC that does not have a sign on?

rzn6jw, Aug 7, 2016
  12. davefaz Win User
    Years ago I would set file sharing on and password protected off. then you just need to share whatever folder. The only problem with that is that anyone who has access to the network has access to the shared folders ( hence why I would prefer to use Homegroup )

davefaz, Aug 7, 2016
  13. rzn6jw Win User

That's why I'm posting this issue. With Homegroup, only the files I specify are shareable. It really concerns me that, as I posted above, when I double-click on the icon for my PC on the other PC and enter my ID and password, my entire desktop is available on the PC and all my files.

And, visa versa, why would you require an ID and password for a PC the doesn't have any (the second PC)?

rzn6jw, Aug 7, 2016
  14. bro67 Win User
    Microsoft created Home Group as a way of privately sharing folders/Libraries between only those users with the key.

Network Sharing goes a lot deeper in allowing you to select which folder and sub-folders that you want to be seen by those you share them with, along with if they need a password or not to access.

bro67, Aug 8, 2016
  15. bro67 Win User
    If you are going to another computer, as I stated before, you would be using a Roaming profile if you are using a Live account. If you are using a Local Account, you have to be assigned to that workstation with your user credentials already on that workstation.

bro67, Aug 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Cannot connect Homegroup after the latest patch - Similar Threads - Cannot connect Homegroup

2. Latest patch for PrintNightmare

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Latest patch for PrintNightmare: This latest update has broken connection to clients for their networked printers. Is there going to be any update to fix this issue? I work at a large university and this patch broke connection to ALOT of printers that were already mapped via print server to our clients. Also...
  3. Cannot install latest patch on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot install latest patch on Windows 10: Hello! I am struggling since a few days with a computer in our environment which doesn't install latest cumulative patches. If I check winver in this computer the patch level is 17763.1339 1339 = KB4558998 [ATTACH] But if I check the Installed Updates on this...
  4. Flight training grayed out after latest patch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Flight training grayed out after latest patch: All lessons in "training flights" are unavailable in Flight Simulator. They appear as "grayed out" on the screen and I'm unable to click on them....
  5. Crashes with the latest patch for 2004

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Crashes with the latest patch for 2004: My PC just crashed after the latest patch for 2004, no BSOD, just a complete freeze and then it restarted. Event Viewer error ID: 161 Event Name: volmgr. Anyone knows about this? The patches that windows installed for my pc today are: patch KB4557957 and security patch...
  6. can't connect to the homegroup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can't connect to the homegroup: Hello! At home we have 4 PCs, I used to share file using homegroups without any issues. just three days ago, I had to reinstall the windows on an HP Mini, and after that it couldn't connect to the homegroup, instead it says Create a homegroup. I have tried: -to clean the...
  7. Cannot connect onto my homegroup

Cannot connect onto my homegroup: I have set up a Homegroup on two laptops which use Windows 10 and both connect to the Homegroup. However, neither will display any computers on the Homegroup. I have tried all sorts of things but all I seem to get from the Homegroup trouble shooter is that there are...
  8. cannot enter HOMEGROUP after Build 10565

cannot enter HOMEGROUP after Build 10565: hey guys, after the installation of Build 10565, i cannot longer join the Homegroup. Tried this: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...76d9647?page=2 no good at all. when i need to do the last step to give users full control, this does not happen. But i am...
  9. Cannot setup Homegroup

Cannot setup Homegroup: Hi everyone a few weeks back I shot myself in the foot by leaving the homegroup on all four of my machines. I did not realise that they were still subject to the set password, although I had left. The password remains valid and I have NO clue what the password was.*Redface...
  10. Cannot connect to HOMEGROUP on Win 10 Pro or Home

Cannot connect to HOMEGROUP on Win 10 Pro or Home: Back in Win 7, I had my wife's Home PC networked to my Pro PC to share files, etc, through 'Homegroup'. I upgraded to Win 10 on both PCs and now cannot send files from one PC to another. I tried to 'join' Homegroup but I cannot remember the original password. If I...