Windows 10: Cannot connect to a network

Discus and support Cannot connect to a network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows 10 Home. When I select Network from the menu I get a message across the top saying" This computer is not connected to a network. Click here to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by johnhb, Apr 2, 2016.

1. johnhb Win User

Cannot connect to a network

Windows 10 Home. When I select Network from the menu I get a message across the top saying" This computer is not connected to a network. Click here to connect" When I click "connect to a network' nothing happens.
    When I go to the Network and Sharing center under "View Your active networks" there is "You are currently not connected to any network".
    The computer is set for workgroup Ouroffice which is the same group for the other computer and laptops.
    From this computer I can currently see itself, the other pc, one laptop and the network storage called Stora. I can even access these devices despite the active network showing as not connected.
    This computer is connect to the router (DLink DWR115) via an Ethernet cable as is the Stora. The other pc, 2 laptops, three printers and the WD Live TV are wireless connected. I cannot get this pc to connect to a network because when I go to the Network & Internet window, select Ethernet and click on the Ethernet adapter symbol all I get is the properties and a copy button. No option to join a network etc.
    The current profile is Guest(Public). The discover networks is ticked, the share files is ticked, use no password is ticked.
    I have tried every trouble shooter I could find.

Hope someone out there can help me, because Microsoft just tired to blame my router (which has the latest drivers).

:)

johnhb, Apr 2, 2016
  2. SpyrosGR Win User

Cannot connect to a specific WiFi network, after a couple of days of using it

Ahhh my apologies, I should have added that on the list of things I have done.

Sorry about that, but I have tried it and it did not work.

SpyrosGR, Apr 2, 2016
  3. SpyrosGR Win User
    Cannot connect to a specific WiFi network, after a couple of days of using it

I don't think I'd like to do that. This issue arose very recently so going back to something would not be ideal for me. Is there any other possible solution you'd like to recommend?

Thanks for you attention this far.

SpyrosGR, Apr 2, 2016
  4. Cannot connect to a network

Hello johnhb Welcome to the Ten Forums!

Is this something that just happened lately or did you just upgrade to 10? While in the Network & Sharing Center you have a few options immediately available you can try. First under the Change you network settings skipping past the Set up a new connection or network option you can go right to the Troubleshoot problems and open that up.

Troubleshooting connection to the internet is first at bat there with the runners up for the Shared Folders(skip), HomeGroup you may or may not already have while I got prompted here just now to join one that doesn't exist due to multiple desktops on the same router as well as several VMs all connecting remotely to each other!

The primary Network Adapter and then a look at the Incoming Connections would be a thought as well. The Run as Admin and Automatic repair options are found on that one as well as for the Network Adapter and Internet Connections.

Dropping back in the main window and over to the left column note the Change adapter settings option. That will see a new window open up seaparately and indicate any problems with a red X under the icon for each adapter item. The first will be the primary Ethernet or WiFi in use. Ethernet 2 or WiFi 2 next going left to right for the VPN type adapter seen for remote connections and virtual networking. Here two more VMware adapter items are seen below the first two. Once you click on the primary seen on the top left a smaller popup type window will then appear showing the connection status you will want to take notice of.

Cannot connect to a network [​IMG]

If you are only seeing a small amount on one side and nothing on the other you can close that up or move it aside to go to the menu bar and hit the Disable this network device option for about a 1/2minute and then simply reclick the enable to help refresh things.

The popup itself you will notice also sees the Diagnose button there too which will then scan and produce the automatic repair in the Advanced link on the left that will appear when finished. There are the automatic repair options.

For a manual refresh this will take opening up an elevated command prompt to insure adequate permissions and for that you simply right click on the Start button to select the Command prompt(admin) item from the right click menu. At the dos like commaned prompt you will be releasing both the IPv4 and IPv6 network configurations in order to see them refreshed with the following commands. First to see both released you type in and press enter for each separately to watch.

For the IPv4 most commonly in use type "ipconfig /release" hitting enter and then type the renew command "ipconfig /renew" For the IPv6 you then type in the same but with one digit extra added onto the end of the two commands. "ipconfig /release6" and "ipconfig /renew6" being pointed at the IPv6. This can see things restored quickly as well while another option is to look in the Device Manager under Network adapters to see if you have any unknown extras?

Night Hawk, Apr 2, 2016
Thema:

Cannot connect to a network

1. Cannot connect to a network - Similar Threads - Cannot connect network

2. Cannot connect to network.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot connect to network.: I am told by Comcast that the reason my Lenovo cannot connect to the internet is due to a Microsoft issue. My network connection choices do not include my network....
  3. Cannot connect to network.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot connect to network.: I am told by Comcast that the reason my Lenovo cannot connect to the internet is due to a Microsoft issue. My network connection choices do not include my network....
  4. Cannot connect to network.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Cannot connect to this network

Cannot connect to this network: I have two Win10 PC's: PC1 and PC2On PC1 I am able to connect to both the WiFi and the Samsung printer via WiFi-direct =everything works fine.Since a short time back I am NOT able to connect to the Samsung printer via WiFi-direct.Trying to fix the problem with the Samsung...
  6. Cannot connect to this network

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot connect to this network: Hi my wireless usb is working just fine but i cannot connect to the wifi, i keep getting the message shown in the title, nothing ive found seems to work and i hope that you all can help me submitted by /u/saucymeme-boi [link] [comments]...
  7. Cannot connect to network

Cannot connect to network: I am suddenly unable to connect to my home Wifi network. This is a new and sudden issue. No recent windows or driver updates. New wireless adapter purchased and also unable to connect. The PC checks network requirements and then fails to connect. Old adapter is a TP-Link...
  8. Cannot connect to network

Cannot connect to network: I've recently upgraded to a new network at home. The new router supplied is a Linksys Velop WHW 03 v2. I have easily found the new router and connected with 2 laptops and 2 mobile phones, no problem. However my PC Acer running an up to date Windows 10 system will not...
  9. Cannot connect to network

Cannot connect to network: I had Windows 10 installed a week ago and it worked fine without internet connection issues until a few days later. I can never seem to reconnect to WiFi after a disconnection occurs and it requires me to restart my laptop every time it occurs to be establish a network...
  10. cannot connect to a network

cannot connect to a network: after updating my pc the network status shows only as a line. and the only error I'm getting is couldn't detect proxy settings which tried to turn on the settings but it automatically turns off. no uninstalling the update didn't help and troubleshooting didn't help either....