Windows 10: Cannot connect to computer on LAN with Remote Desktop

Discus and support Cannot connect to computer on LAN with Remote Desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two Windows 10 computers, one PC and one laptop on the same LAN. Both were upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7. I am trying to connect to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by zapp7, Mar 14, 2017.

1. zapp7 Win User

Cannot connect to computer on LAN with Remote Desktop

I have two Windows 10 computers, one PC and one laptop on the same LAN. Both were upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7. I am trying to connect to the PC through Remote Desktop from the laptop.

I get the error message saying it can't connect. It says to make sure remote access is enabled, that the remote computer is on and that the remote computer is available on the network. I have checked all these things. The SMB share on the remote PC is accessible from my laptop so I know the laptop can see the PC.

I have done a few other things like checking Windows Firewall settings on the PC but it seems that Remote Desktop is allowed to communicate through the firewall. In fact I disable Windows Firewall on both computers and the connection still fails.

Not sure what else to do and would appreciate any help you can provide.

:)

zapp7, Mar 14, 2017

2. remote desktop windows 10

I am trying to connect my laptop and main PC using remote desktop but windows 10 keeps saying 'remote desktop cannot connect to the remote computer' then lists 3 reasons. 1.remote access to server is not enabled 2.remote computer is turned off and 3.remote
    computer is not available on network. Both computers are on my own network, both on same workgroup. i have enabled remote connections. I can access both via file explorer and homegroup but still cannot get remote desktop connection. Any ideas what the problem
    might be?

bill_hughes, Mar 14, 2017
  3. LCRT Win User
    How do I Remote Control my Windows Phone 8 from my Windows 8 PC?

you are mixing a few things. windows RT can remote desktop into OTHER computers that SUPPORT remote desktop. you cannot remote desktop INTO a windows RT machine.

likewise, there is a remote desktop app for windows phone - but it only works to connect to computers that support remote desktop. not to remote into the phone.

4. sml156 Win User

sml156, Mar 14, 2017
  5. zapp7 Win User
    Yes, both computers are running Pro version.

zapp7, Mar 14, 2017
  6. wyldman68 Win User
    Have you tried using the IP address instead of the PC name, to connect?

wyldman68, Mar 15, 2017
  7. zapp7 Win User
    Yes. I get the same error message.

zapp7, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot connect to computer on LAN with Remote Desktop - Similar Threads - Cannot connect computer

2. Remote desktop and wake on lan. ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote desktop and wake on lan. ?: My home is in New Jersey. There I have a Windows 11 pro PC. The internet is on always to support the security system. I travel most of the year overseas. I carry a Window 11 pro laptop.I would like to access my home PC including startup from sleep or hibernation from overseas...
  3. Remote desktop and wake on lan. ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote desktop and wake on lan. ?: My home is in New Jersey. There I have a Windows 11 pro PC. The internet is on always to support the security system. I travel most of the year overseas. I carry a Window 11 pro laptop.I would like to access my home PC including startup from sleep or hibernation from overseas...
  4. Remote Desktop LAN not working without Internet Connection.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop LAN not working without Internet Connection.: At home I setup a new windows 10 machine installed all OS updates and a new router. I got all the settings down to use Microsoft Remote Desktop from my Macbook and it worked like a charm. I took the setup to the installation site and of course Remote Desktop could no longer...
  5. Remote Desktop LAN not working without Internet Connection.

Remote Desktop LAN not working without Internet Connection.: At home I setup a new windows 10 machine installed all OS updates and a new router. I got all the settings down to use Microsoft Remote Desktop from my Macbook and it worked like a charm. I took the setup to the installation site and of course Remote Desktop could no longer...
  6. Remote Desktop Connection cannot connect to the remote computer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop Connection cannot connect to the remote computer.: Greetings to the well of knowledge.We have a remote desktop farm consisting of one broker Server 2016 and four RD servers Server 2012R2, all of which are running in Azure. They were moved to Azure in a lift-and-shift operation from our physical servers.Over the past month or...
  7. Remote Desktop Connection cannot connect to the remote computer.

Remote Desktop Connection cannot connect to the remote computer.: Greetings to the well of knowledge.We have a remote desktop farm consisting of one broker Server 2016 and four RD servers Server 2012R2, all of which are running in Azure. They were moved to Azure in a lift-and-shift operation from our physical servers.Over the past month or...
  8. Remotely connecting to Desktop from a non-local LAN

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remotely connecting to Desktop from a non-local LAN: Hello there! As the title says I want to remotely connect to my desktop from my laptop from a different LAn connection not the local one. I already enabled the remote connection and it worked superb on local LAN. But when I forwarded my port through wifi and everything step...
  9. cannot connect to remote desktop ,

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot connect to remote desktop ,: I always use remote desktop, today will not work , says my windows 10 needs an upgrade to windows 10 pro ??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-connect-to-remote-desktop/6fd2c790-c0c6-4e88-bd87-bc1046958b07
  10. Cannot connect with Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot connect with Remote Desktop: After the recent update on Windows 10 pro. I am unable to connect via remote desktop. I have tried both from a PC using the internet external to my router and to the LAN side using my phone app and from another PC on the same LAN. I get the same message: Remote Desktop can't...