Windows 10: Cannot connect to HOMEGROUP on Win 10 Pro or Home

Discus and support Cannot connect to HOMEGROUP on Win 10 Pro or Home in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Back in Win 7, I had my wife's Home PC networked to my Pro PC to share files, etc, through 'Homegroup'. I upgraded to Win 10 on both PCs and now cannot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rzn6jw, Aug 17, 2015.

1. rzn6jw Win User

Cannot connect to HOMEGROUP on Win 10 Pro or Home

Back in Win 7, I had my wife's Home PC networked to my Pro PC to share files, etc, through 'Homegroup'. I upgraded to Win 10 on both PCs and now cannot send files from one PC to another. I tried to 'join' Homegroup but I cannot remember the original password.

If I right-click on Homegroup after double-clicking on 'This PC' I do not have the option that shows me the password even though I am the Administrator. Also, whenever I try to join the Homegroup, I get a message that says Homegroup is not found on my PC. I also do not have the option to create a new Homegroup.

What am I missing here?

EDIT:

One other thing I saw was that the current 'network' displayed is 'Private' and I'm sure that the Win 7 network was 'Local'. How can I delete this Homegroup and create a new one?

Another EDIT:

I've already tried the threads regarding changing the peer-*-* passwords and resets in services. In fact, I've tried just about everything in the previous threads regarding this issue to no avail. I hate to revert back to 7 but in order to get files between our two PCs, it looks like I'll have to until Microsoft resolves this problem.

Solved:

I stopped/started services Homegroup Listener and Homegroup Provider on both the Win 10 Pro and Home PCs. Shortly after, I checked Homegroup on the Home PC and got the box to create a new group. Successfully created a new group and the OS supplied me with a new password. Copied the password and opened Homegroup on the Pro PC after some 'file copying'. Got the box to create a new group and entered the password given from the Home PC. Now both PCs are talking again and I can swap files like before.

:)

rzn6jw, Aug 17, 2015

2. Homegroup

I can't get a Win 10 Home computer to join a homegroup created by a Win 10 Pro computer. The Win 10 Pro established the homegroup, but the Win 10 home computer indicates no homegroup exists on the network. The "Join a homegroup" option is not available
    on the Win 10 Home PC. What am I missing?

Papajoe3309, Aug 17, 2015
  3. flatrich Win User
    Win 10 November "Upgrade" has unconnected my network, homegroup

Thanks, Robert.

Today my Win 10 Home Edition machine (formerly Win 7) found the two Win 10 Pro machines (formerly Win 8) on my network. Neither of the Win 10 Pro machines (one is a Surface Pro) can see the Win 10 Home machine. The Surface Pro cannot see the other Win 10
    Pro machine. All machines can see the Surface Pro (wireless). All could see each other before the upgrade and were in synch and in the same HomeGroup.

Today I tried again to "Join" that HomeGroup on the Win 10 Home machine. (Win sez that HomeGroup is already on the Win 10 Home machine but it does not show any members under HomeGroup in file manager.) I clicked Join and waited for a while. The wizard finally
    stopped trying to "verify your password" (where none was entered, so whatever that meant) and asked me to enter the HomeGroup password. I had a physical copy from before the upgrade so I did and waited for a while and eventually got a message that there was
    no HomeGroup and to start one I should go to HomeGroup.

Already being in HomeGroup, I laughed and gave up.

The HomeGroup adventure took about an hour. I framed a picture during the waiting bits.

flatrich, Aug 17, 2015
Thema:

Cannot connect to HOMEGROUP on Win 10 Pro or Home

1. Cannot connect to HOMEGROUP on Win 10 Pro or Home - Similar Threads - Cannot connect HOMEGROUP

2. Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro: I have replaced my old laptop with a new one.My old PC had Win 10 Pro free update from Win 7 Pro.The new one has Win 10 Home. I was advised that all I needed to do was to change the product key using the one I had for Win 7 and it would update to the Pro version. This did...
  3. Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro: I have replaced my old laptop with a new one.My old PC had Win 10 Pro free update from Win 7 Pro.The new one has Win 10 Home. I was advised that all I needed to do was to change the product key using the one I had for Win 7 and it would update to the Pro version. This did...
  4. Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. CANNOT CONNECT WIN 10 PC TO HOME WIFI IN WIN 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CANNOT CONNECT WIN 10 PC TO HOME WIFI IN WIN 10: I recently purchased a new router Linksys AC1900 and set up my home wifi network. I have 12 devices connected, including a Win 10 PC that is appx a year old. All of these devices connected quickly and with no problem. However, I have an older Win 10 PC that was previously...
  6. Win 10 Pro to Win 10 Home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Pro to Win 10 Home: I have an old PC loaded with Win 10 Pro. As I cannot increase the RAM on this PC, I'd like to move to Win 10 Home. Is it possible with this license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-pro-to-win-10-home/090c2436-3600-4f0d-8068-55f8030bddfe
  7. Cannot connect to Drobo 5N2 with Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot connect to Drobo 5N2 with Win 10 Pro: I have 2 computers Win 10 Home and Win 10 Pro connected via Ethernet using a Netgear switch accessing the Internet. Also, on this switch is a printer and a Drobo 5N2 NAS. I can access the printer from both computers, and I can access the NAS from the "Home" computer but not...
  8. Windows 10 won't connect to Win 7 homegroup

Windows 10 won't connect to Win 7 homegroup: I just got a new HP desktop running win 10. I already have a local network with two laptops running win 10 and one desktop running win 7. The win 7 pc serves as my media server and has a homegroup enabled with sharing. My new PC recognizes the win 7 pc on the network but I...
  9. Cannot connect onto my homegroup

Cannot connect onto my homegroup: I have set up a Homegroup on two laptops which use Windows 10 and both connect to the Homegroup. However, neither will display any computers on the Homegroup. I have tried all sorts of things but all I seem to get from the Homegroup trouble shooter is that there are...
  10. Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro: I upgraded my Win 8.1 into a Win 10 Home but it is not working properly. Does anyone can help me out how to find a free (and sound!) Win Pro for a clean install? 20601

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 home vs pro homegroup