Windows 10: Cannot connect to SAMBA shares on CENTOS7

Discus and support Cannot connect to SAMBA shares on CENTOS7 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I'm having this very annoying issue with samba shares. The server is running on a CentOS 7 distro with samba-4.1.12-23.el7_1.x86_64.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Nikecow, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Nikecow Win User

Cannot connect to SAMBA shares on CENTOS7

Hello everyone,

I'm having this very annoying issue with samba shares. The server is running on a CentOS 7 distro with samba-4.1.12-23.el7_1.x86_64. My Windows 10 build is 10240.

The shares are visible but when I try to connect it waits a while and then gives me this error. I do not even get the chance to authenticate. It worked fine on Windows 8.1.

Cannot connect to SAMBA shares on CENTOS7 [​IMG]

I've tried various config options and none of them worked. However I can connect from my MBP so it's definitely a W10 issue. Here is a copy of my config. Turning off the firewall and selinux also didn't help. I also have a MyBook with samba shares but they do not have this problem.

Code: [global] workgroup = WORKGROUP server string = Samba Server %v netbios name = CENTOS7 security = user map to guest = bad user dns proxy = no #smb ports = 2222 139 domain master = yes local master = yes preferred master = yes os level = 65 #wins support = yes server max protocol = SMB2 #============================ Share Definitions ============================== [server] path = /home/server valid users = @standard guest ok = no writable = yes browsable = yes readonly = no [test] path = /home/test valid users = @standard public = yes guest ok = yes writable = yes browsable = yes[/quote] Note the "Test" share which I added to make sure it isn't a permissions issue.

Anyone knows how to fix this? I've run out of options.

:)

Nikecow, Sep 7, 2015
  2. EckiS Win User
    EckiS, Sep 7, 2015
  3. Cannot connect to CIFS / SMB / Samba Network Shares & Shared Folders in Windows 10 after 1151/10586 update

This question is outside the scope of this site (for consumers) and to be sure you get the best (and quickest) answer it should be asked either on Technet (for IT Pro's) or MSDN (for developers)
    Technet forumss/en-US/home

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Sep 7, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

You need to be posting this over at the CentOS forums. CentOS Index page I can tell right now that smb.conf is screwed up. That would be why you are having issues. Your workgroup must stay as "WORKGROUP" on all computers. I always kept a copy of the default smb.conf on my NAS or a USB Pendrive. That way if I screwed it up, I could just copy it back to the OS in the proper folder.

Once you get the default smb.conf loaded back up. You should be able to use "net config workstation" and get the output that is shown here. Samba Server Installation and Configuration on CentOS 7

As long as you are running CentOS 7, and follow the steps in the above link, it should work. CentOS is based off of Redhat. I tend to stay more towards the Ubuntu spin off of Xubuntu, because it is a lot easier to work with than CentOS, which was made to be used in an Enterprise environment.

Linux does have a strong learning curve. So be ready to pull hair out if something happens. Also use the search engines and the forums as much as you can to your advantage. It is a lot easier to keep on staying on top of always learning about Linux and its features as much as you can.

Last but not to be forgotten. Make an image of the install with Clonezilla either on a drive like the Toshiba Canvio, or on a NAS if you have one on your network. That way if you screw up on something and cannot figure out how to fix it. You can pull the image and start back with a working OS.

bro67, Sep 7, 2015
  5. Nikecow Win User
    Hi bro67

I've used that guide you linked already. It worked for my MBP and W8.1 installation. I've just added some config options because it didn't work at all on W10.

The config broke with my upgrade to W10 so that's why I thought I should post it here. I've already searched all available info on google about W10 and samba but there isn't a lot info about it yet, understandably. My workgroup is "WORKGROUP" everywhere and the default samba config didn't work either.

Nikecow, Sep 7, 2015
  6. My first thought was to upgrade your Windows 10 build to the current build. Build 10240 is an insider view build and not the one released to the public. That's what I would do first...my 2 cents.

play2mefish, Sep 7, 2015
  7. Nikecow Win User
    I am pretty sure that is the one released to the public. I'm currently accepting insider builds on the fast ring yet I don't get any more updates.

Nikecow, Sep 7, 2015
  8. bro67 Win User

Samba has a few quirks that regardless of what version of Windows that you are using, Windows does not recognize the shares for some reason. Samba always behaves as if you are on a Domain, regardless if it is a Workgroup. Read through this first and do the Registry fix. Windows 8 Support - SME Server

Try this registry fix in the Windows machines. Linux and Windows 8 Interoperability ADMIN Magazine

I have to Map my NAS shares on my Lenovo ix2-4 on Windows 10. Used to be that you could just click and connect to the network shares. The latest updates in 8 and 10 in general, for whatever Microsoft did to SMB, you have to play around.

Also I would change the Advanced Sharing settings from "Allow windows to manage homegroups" to "Use User Accounts and Passwords to connect to other computers." Also use Smb4K to manage the Samba shares. It is for KDE, but will run in any GUI. Make sure that you have Startup Options set for running KDE & Gnome.

bro67, Sep 8, 2015
  9. My bad...I confused the numbers with something else, you are correct you have the updated version.

play2mefish, Sep 8, 2015
  10. bro67 Win User
    10240 is the version that everyone is running right now. The latest build for Insiders is 10532. Depending on what the Service pack for Windows 10 will be late this year, early next, you can keep up on the insider blog that Microsoft has, or be an Insider and receive the latest updates.

As for the OP. Samba and Windows has been having issues since Windows 7. Mainly because of the changes dealing with Homegroup. The other is changes that Microsoft added to SMB in Windows.

To get it right and not devote every free hour and lose sleep when dealing with Samba and Windows. You have to try not to get really insane. I have had where I upgraded from one version of Xubuntu to the next. Ended up that it killed Cups, which runs the printer. In turn it also kills Samba, because Ubuntu is still using the older version of Samba.

Personally the KDE tool works really great when setting up shares and also adding the username that you log into Linux with to the Samba user config.

bro67, Sep 8, 2015
  11. Nikecow Win User
    For anyone interested, I fixed this by setting the samba protocol to 3 which Windows 10 apparently uses.

"server max protocol = SMB3"

I also had to give the samba user a samba password on the server with "smbpasswd <username>"

Nikecow, Mar 14, 2016
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

absolutely no problem - running as individual server - not part of a domain.

I'm running Centos 7

Samba.conf file

#======================= Global Settings =====================================

[global]
    # max protocol = used to define the supported protocol. The default is NT1. You <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<NOTE I used default here
    # can set it to SMB2 if you want experimental SMB2 support.
    #
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    server string = Samba Server Version %v

; max protocol = SMB2

log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 50
    security = user
    passdb backend = tdbsam

load printers = yes
    cups options = raw

; printcap name = /etc/printcap
    # obtain a list of printers automatically on UNIX System V systems:
    ; printcap name = lpstat
    ; printing = cups

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = yes
    writable = yes
    valid users = %S

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = no
    guest ok = no
    writable = no
    printable = yes

[Music]
    comment Music files
    path = /mnt/Audio/Music
    guest ok = yes
    writeable = yes
    browseable = yes

[Films]
    comment Films
    path = /mnt/Movies/Films
    guest ok = yes
    writeable = yes
    browseable = yes

[Television]
    comment TV series
    path = /mnt/TV/TV
    guest ok = yes
    writeable = yes
    browseable = yes

[Datastore]

comment VM's, Backups, data
    path = /mnt/Datastore
    guest ok = yes
    writeable = yes
    browseable = yes

keep the samba.conf file as simple as possible, use TESTPARM (as root) from a console to test it then restart smb and nmb services.
    Don't use any weird options like Wins, Netbios etc etc. and you don't need to switch off firewall or selinux.

No problem seeing any of my Windows machines also whether VM's or Real or a combination -- including W10. Note you might have to wait up to 10 mins after starting Samba before the Windows machines are visible -- I think it's the way Windows polls the network but from Windows machines you can always access the Linux shares almost immediately if you in windows from the RUN window type \\linuxmachine. Eventually your machine will show up automatically in the file explorer Network.

I wish Windows networking was as easy.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 15, 2016
  13. bro67 Win User

Actually it is the Guest browsing restrictions that Microsoft implemented, not SMB. There is an updated guide from the beginning of March that explains it, how to get Windows to see Linux shares.

See this from last year. It still works. Windows 10: Unable to Connect to Samba Shares schkerke.com

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot connect to SAMBA shares on CENTOS7 - Similar Threads - Cannot connect SAMBA

2. Windows 11 can't connect to Ubuntu samba shares

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 can't connect to Ubuntu samba shares: I have problem to connect from Windows 11 to my sambashares on Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS but to my sambashare on Linux raspberrypi 6.1.21-v8+ the connection works. When I tested with Windows 10 I was able to connect both Ubuntu's and RaspberryPi's samba shares without problems....
  3. Samba Share/ Legacy Drive Mapping not staying Connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Samba Share/ Legacy Drive Mapping not staying Connected: Hello All, I have an issue where we need to map a network drive to Windows 10/11 Pro Laptops. For the Windows 10 Pro laptops, I can successfully Map the Drive letter Q: to the machine useing a net use cmd script as such. net use Q: \\192.xxx.xx.x\etc\etc /user:uname pw...
  4. Samba Share/ Legacy Drive Mapping not staying Connected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Samba Share/ Legacy Drive Mapping not staying Connected: Hello All, I have an issue where we need to map a network drive to Windows 10/11 Pro Laptops. For the Windows 10 Pro laptops, I can successfully Map the Drive letter Q: to the machine useing a net use cmd script as such. net use Q: \\192.xxx.xx.x\etc\etc /user:uname pw...
  5. Samba Share/ Legacy Drive Mapping not staying Connected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Connecting to a Samba Share

Connecting to a Samba Share: I am trying to connect to a samba share. There are two users on the machine. user1 was able to access the share drive and map the share on the machine. user2 was able to access the folders. the next day user1 could not access the drives that were mapped nor could they...
  7. Cannot access Samba share

Cannot access Samba share: Hi, I have a few Windows 10 computers and some linux computers on my network. I use Samba to enable sharing between the Windows and Linux computers. On one of the Windows computer I have a Storage Spaces drive set up as a Samba share. I can access some of the folders on this...
  8. Samba connectivity

Samba connectivity: I'm still working with a problem I've mentioned here before: my Windows boxes have lost connectivity to my Samba box since adopting Win 10. There are dozens of flavors of this problem discussed online, and dozens of solutions, none of which have worked for me. Describing...
  9. SAMBA share visible in Explorer, but cannot accress

SAMBA share visible in Explorer, but cannot accress: I have SAMBA shares on a debian server. I can see the shares in Explorer. When I doubble click I am asked for credentials, but when I enter the correct (more than double and triple checked) credentials I get an error indicating that the error is due multiple connections....
  10. Win10ProN cannot connect to samba network share

Win10ProN cannot connect to samba network share: Hey folks, I've got an issue that's been bugging me since windows 7. I've got a debian server on my network running samba and plex. I usually add media to it through samba from my windows computers. Only now with my laptop, I'm having a strange issue. Every time I try to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. centos 7 cannot connect to samba share

2. connect smb share debian from w10

3. centos delay before samba share visible