Windows 10: Cannot connect to WiFi network that is using a MAC filter

Discus and support Cannot connect to WiFi network that is using a MAC filter in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I am trying to connect a Windows 10 laptop to a WiFi network that is using a MAC address filter. When I attempt to connect Windows reports... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by timoteob, Jan 24, 2016.

1. timoteob Win User

Cannot connect to WiFi network that is using a MAC filter

Hello,

I am trying to connect a Windows 10 laptop to a WiFi network that is using a MAC address filter. When I attempt to connect Windows reports that it is "Checking network requirements". Then it reports that it "Cannot connect to this network". I have been able to connect dozens of other devices running everything from iOS to Android to Windows 7 with no problems. However, this is my first Windows 10 attempt. I am not sure what I am missing.

Things I have tried so far:

• I have triple checked the MAC address to make sure I have the correct one.
    • Contacted the manufacturer of the router and applied the recommended firmware updates.
    • Checked the laptop manufacturer for driver updates for the wireless adapter
    • Turn off the MAC filter on the router

When I turn off the filter, the laptop connects immediately. That leads me to think that problem is a data entry error with the MAC address. To eliminate any possibility of error I cut and paste directly from what ipconfig reports as the MAC address for the wireless adapter. See below for details:

Code: thernet adapter Ethernet: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 1C-83-41-09-21-39 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 2: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : B4-6D-83-53-D9-BF DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : B4-6D-83-53-D9-BE DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes[/quote] I am using the MAC address for the Wireless LAN Adapter.

Thank you in advance for any information that you might have.

:)

timoteob, Jan 24, 2016

2. 5800 Wifi Problems

I know this has been mentioned a few times - but reading them does not help me:

I have a wifi network set up at home on a Netgear Router. I have a few things connected to it via wifi and not had any problems.

My network is set up with a hidden SSID, mac address filtering and defined IP addresses for all the mac addresses so when each device is attached it always gets the same IP address.

I have entered the mac address of my 5800 no problems there: However, when I try and connect the 5800 to the internet through my wifi I get nothing.

I have tried using the wireless wizard which says the connection is made, my password is correct - but I just cannot connect to the internet through my wifi?

Any suggestions? My phone has the latest firmware - just cannot get a wifi connection at home

eon_designs---01, Jan 24, 2016
  3. pdab Win User
    WLAN issue in C6-00

Hi,

One reason I can think of when your phone is not able to get connected to your home wifi network is - your Wifi router could have MAC filter on. This means that devices whose MAC address is input (under section MAC filter) in your wifi router will get connected.
    This is another layer of wireless security so that it prevents unauthorised users (who have cracked your network key) to use your wifi network.

You may like to add the MAC address of your phone to your wifi router. For that, you need to first disable the MAC filter in the wifi router, connect your phone - if this works then you can see the MAC address of your phone which can then be added to your
    MAC filter before enabling it.

(to log in to your wifi router, http://192.168.1.1 , user name: <admin>)

The other reason - check if your wifi router has DHCP enabled. Else, it will accept only static IP address which has to be entered in the device. Best option is to make the wifi router DHCP enabled under LAN section (& have atleast 10 IP address range, which
    will help you connect wireless printers, Laptop, even desktops can be used over wireless with the use of wireless adaptors costing less than $20)

DHCP - enabled

start IP address: 192.168.1.10

end IP address: 192.168.1.20 (10 devices can be connected simultaenously)

subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Lease time out: 24 Hrs.

<save & reboot the wifi router>

Hope this helps!

Thema:

Cannot connect to WiFi network that is using a MAC filter

1. Cannot connect to WiFi network that is using a MAC filter - Similar Threads - Cannot connect WiFi

2. Network connect PC & Mac over wifi home network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network connect PC & Mac over wifi home network: Unable to connect my PC and Mac.I can see the PC from the Mac Finder, yet when connecting I'm asked for a username and password, which doesn't seem to be my login details. From what I've read it seems I need a network name and password? Yet this isn't the modem details is...
  3. Connectivity with Wifi mac address in hidden network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connectivity with Wifi mac address in hidden network: Hi,I have a few questions in doubts I am encountering some issues since I have a totally new router and extended mesh. Initially telco man set dual bands with same username and password. Each time I on internet a strong hidden wifi detected. I get telco in again to see any...
  4. Connectivity with Wifi mac address in hidden network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connectivity with Wifi mac address in hidden network: Hi,I have a few questions in doubts I am encountering some issues since I have a totally new router and extended mesh. Initially telco man set dual bands with same username and password. Each time I on internet a strong hidden wifi detected. I get telco in again to see any...
  5. Issue Connecting to Wifi on Multiple Devices After applying MAC Filtering

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue Connecting to Wifi on Multiple Devices After applying MAC Filtering: For the past 8 months, I have had zero issues with my router.The other night, I applied MAC filtering to my router.Now I get this message for several devices in my house even though the MAC addresses are correct.“Unable to join the network ____.The network is operating on...
  6. Issue Connecting to Wifi on Multiple Devices After applying MAC Filtering

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issue Connecting to Wifi on Multiple Devices After applying MAC Filtering: For the past 8 months, I have had zero issues with my router.The other night, I applied MAC filtering to my router.Now I get this message for several devices in my house even though the MAC addresses are correct.“Unable to join the network ____.The network is operating on...
  7. Issue Connecting to Wifi on Multiple Devices After applying MAC Filtering

8. Cannot connect to Wifi network

Cannot connect to Wifi network: Hello, i have notebook and pc. From notebook i can connect to wifi entering username and password, but since few days, i cannot connect to same wifi from pc. After entering username and password, after few seconds it asks me again username and passwordand so on. Earlier i...
  9. Cannot connect wifi network

Cannot connect wifi network: I cannot connect to wifi network anymore. One day, it just stopped letting me find network. In device manager it doesn't show a network wifi driver anymore. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-connect-wifi-network/b7d660a3-9ea0-45de-b372-a498d5ad4e7e
  10. Cannot connect to Mac OSX on network

Cannot connect to Mac OSX on network: I have a Mac on my LAN and until today, it was visible under Networks and I could connect to it. Today, it does not show, yet the Mac can connect to the Windows 10 computer. To my knowledge, no changes have been made to my small office network (Windows 10, Mac, Centos 7...