Windows 10: Cannot connect Win 10 PC to printer with WiFi Direct

Discus and support Cannot connect Win 10 PC to printer with WiFi Direct in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello. I installed a HP printer model M402dw and turned on WiFi Direct mode. I am able to connect to the printer enough to see it in the WiFi... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by tehghey, Feb 28, 2017.

1. tehghey Win User

Cannot connect Win 10 PC to printer with WiFi Direct

Hello. I installed a HP printer model M402dw and turned on WiFi Direct mode. I am able to connect to the printer enough to see it in the WiFi connections list as well as in Available Devices when I try to Add Printer.

I am able to add the printer, send documents, and print with two Windows 7 machines. The process was smooth and easy.

When I try to Add Printer on the Windows 10 machine it asks for a WSP PIN. The printer even receives the signal that the computer is trying to connect via WiFi Direct and shows a PIN on its little LCD screen. When I enter the PIN into the box on the PC, it just sits and spins. Eventually the printer times out and gives up and then a while later Windows also gives up and says "That didn't work. Try again...blah blah...or contact the device manufacturer...etc." And when I click OK to close the window a box pops up with "The argument is invalid."

Can anyone please tell me how to get this to work? Thanks.

:)

tehghey, Feb 28, 2017
  2. DaleNoel Win User

Win 10 Network Printer Connection Problem

When connected to a network that has a printer connected to it I can see and use the network but cannot see or use the printer. The printer is on the network from a Win 7 system and I have a Win 10 system

Other pc's can see the printer and use it. I cannot even find the printer in Devices or searching for it.

I have other networks where I can see my printers and use them on the PC with Win 10

DaleNoel, Feb 28, 2017
  3. cannot scan from epsom printer to pc. Printer will print from pc via wifi but will not recognise pc when asked to scan.

Cannot scan from printer to pc. Wifi network is fine and pc will print to printer but when asked to scan, printer cannot find pc via wifi. Have also connected via usb but still have the same issue (pc not found).

AlexJohnsonMF, Feb 28, 2017
  4. Cannot connect Win 10 PC to printer with WiFi Direct

Welcome to the TenForums @tehghey

I don't use Wifi Direct so I may not be of much help.

When I read I thought firewall. Could I suggest you disable firewall and retry. If this works you will have to build a rule either based on an application or on a port number.

As well please ensure the computer you are on shows this network as Private. Sounds like it is as the two devices initially see one another.

Sorry could be more helpful.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 28, 2017
  5. tehghey Win User
    Hi Ken. Thanks for the advice. Well, I tried the firewall thing and that didn't change anything (at first anyway).

BUT! I tried again, just going through the same motions, but when it just started to just sit there after about 30 seconds I clicked CANCEL. But somehow it happened. The next dialog said I had successfully added the printer and asked me if I wanted to print a test page.

I have no idea what went differently this time, but maybe turning the firewall off and then back on did something. I have no idea.

So, it works now. I just don't know why. Thanks again!

tehghey, Feb 28, 2017
  6. Great.

Like you, I would have like a better reason but it works and that is what counts.

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Cannot connect Win 10 PC to printer with WiFi Direct

1. Cannot connect Win 10 PC to printer with WiFi Direct - Similar Threads - Cannot connect printer

2. PC is connected via ETH Printer as Wifi - unable to connect to printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC is connected via ETH Printer as Wifi - unable to connect to printer: I have a PC connected via Ethernet 192.168.1.50 to a switch. The switch is connected via cable to another router 192.168.1.1to LAN port - this is the internet Gateway. Printer is connected via Wifistatic IP 192.168.1.51. All devices is gateway-ed to 192.168.1.1. PC and...
  3. PC is connected via ETH Printer as Wifi - unable to connect to printer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC is connected via ETH Printer as Wifi - unable to connect to printer: I have a PC connected via Ethernet 192.168.1.50 to a switch. The switch is connected via cable to another router 192.168.1.1to LAN port - this is the internet Gateway. Printer is connected via Wifistatic IP 192.168.1.51. All devices is gateway-ed to 192.168.1.1. PC and...
  4. Wifi direct printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi direct printer: Before the new update that happened recently, it was nice and easy to find a printer that uses wifi direct. Now I keep trying to find where I can find a printer with wifi direct, and I can't find it. Where can I find those printers?...
  5. Wifi direct printer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi direct printer: Before the new update that happened recently, it was nice and easy to find a printer that uses wifi direct. Now I keep trying to find where I can find a printer with wifi direct, and I can't find it. Where can I find those printers?...
  6. CANNOT CONNECT WIN 10 PC TO HOME WIFI IN WIN 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CANNOT CONNECT WIN 10 PC TO HOME WIFI IN WIN 10: I recently purchased a new router Linksys AC1900 and set up my home wifi network. I have 12 devices connected, including a Win 10 PC that is appx a year old. All of these devices connected quickly and with no problem. However, I have an older Win 10 PC that was previously...
  7. Cant Install a Wifi Direct Printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cant Install a Wifi Direct Printer: Hi Guys I have an HP Pavillion x 360 Convertible 14-dh1 computer with windows 10 and a HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M476 PCL 6 printer. I want to conect my computer to my printer using Wifi Direct Printing. My wifi direct is already setup in the printer. My computer just...
  8. Printer not printing thru wifi or direct connection to laptop

Printer not printing thru wifi or direct connection to laptop: laptop and printer were communicating thru wifi but no longer. I wired printer to laptop directly and still unable to print. Please help, thank you.......
  9. WIN 10 and wifi printer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WIN 10 and wifi printer: I purchased a new Canon wifi printer (TS6220). I used the disk to to bring it on my home network. My 10 year old win 7 HP desktop found it , My ASUS Desktop found it, My iphone found it.... test page printed out for all.... sharing set up for all. Typed in my modem password...
  10. WiFi Printer Connectivity

WiFi Printer Connectivity: Here's the issue: PC is Dell Inspiron N7010, upgraded to WIN 10 Everything worked fine until HDD corrupted. Replaced HDD and and reinstalled WIN 10 and all latest upgrades. Now WiFi O.K. and have Internet access. Ping gateway O.K.;ping other PC on network O.K.; ping other...