Windows 10: Cannot copy a file from USB to desktop in Windows 10

Discus and support Cannot copy a file from USB to desktop in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone. I just want to copy a folder with some files from a USB stick to my desktop. Windows 10 refuses to do it. I get an error message... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hoffl, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Hoffl Win User

Cannot copy a file from USB to desktop in Windows 10

Hi everyone.

I just want to copy a folder with some files from a USB stick to my desktop. Windows 10 refuses to do it.

I get an error message saying "This is no longer located in D:\. Verify the item's location and try again."

I can open the folder. I can see the contents. I can even save files onto the USB stick.
    But if I drag and drop even that new file onto the desktop, it will not let me copy it from the USB stick to the desktop. I get the same error message.

Brand new laptop. Brand new Win10. Copying some files from my Windows 7 laptop. Even formatted the USB stick in Win10. Still didn't work. Same error message.

Anyone know how to solve this? See images for details.

Thanks

Cannot copy a file from USB to desktop in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Cannot copy a file from USB to desktop in Windows 10 [​IMG]

:)

Hoffl, Feb 6, 2018

2. Unknown date file name error while copying files from USB

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried different usb stick with the same results.

As advised, I copied the file on my desktop. When I tried to copy from my usb stick to desktop, same result: Unknown date.

When I copied the same file from desktop to Documents everything was OK.

This problem started to occur since updating to Windows 10, I tried the same usb stick on another computer with Windows 8.1 and it worked fine.

Regards

Paul

PaulAbdilla, Feb 6, 2018
  3. Transferring data

If they need to be installed into windows 10 then put them on a usb drive and install If not copy paste..

OctavianQR, Feb 6, 2018
  4. Cannot copy a file from USB to desktop in Windows 10

Can you drag and drop it in your documents folder?

Caledon Ken, Feb 6, 2018
  5. Hoffl Win User
    No, doesn't work.

I tried from two different memory sticks, and an SD card. Won't copy to desktop or Documents folder.

Even tried copying (drag and drop) a folder from the desktop to the Documents folder. Same error message.

Hoffl, Feb 6, 2018
  6. Hoffl Win User
    Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V to copy paste from one to the other doesn't work either.

Says it cannot find the file. WTF? The file is right there!

Hoffl, Feb 7, 2018
  7. Hoffl Win User
    Re-starting the PC with the memory stick inserted, I was able to copy (DnD) a folder onto the desktop.

Re-started the PC withOUT the memory stick inserted, and I get that error message again.

Any thoughts what could be wrong?

Hoffl, Feb 7, 2018
  8. pepanee Win User

You probably need to set the Permissions on that USB device.

Add Take Ownership to Context Menu in Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

Take Ownership of the files in there. Assuming that it worked and you were able to create a copy of that folder to your computer, make sure that it copied over, reformat that USB Device, and put back that folder on there (if you want to).

pepanee, Feb 7, 2018
  9. Caledon Ken, Feb 7, 2018
  10. AndreTen Win User
    Another possibility is Security software or settings from laptop manufacturer. Can you tell us manufacturer and model?

AndreTen, Feb 7, 2018
  11. Hoffl Win User
    Yes, that was the solution.
    I turned off "Controlled Folder Access"

Thanks Caledon Ken!

So how, then, am I supposed to be protected from Malware? Controlled Folder Access says "Protect your files and folders from unauthorized changed by unfriendly applications."

I turned it on, to be protected from Malware etc. But if I can't do anything simple as copying a file into a folder that's 'protected' then it's pretty pointless.

And why can't Windows give a reasonable error message that would alert someone to the real problem?

Hoffl, Feb 7, 2018
  12. AndreTen Win User
    Something isn't working right there. I have controlled Folder Access turned on and never have problems copying from USB to hard drive. Did you add root folder Protected folders?

AndreTen, Feb 7, 2018
  13. Hoffl Win User

Yes, actually, I had the Desktop as a "Protected Folder" I didn't realize making it a protected folder would prevent me from ever storing a file there(!)

So which folders are really meant to be protected then?

I turned it off completely, because who knows when I might have to move a file into any given folder?
    Also, the error message is so non-descriptive, if I set this Folder Protection and get an error message like that in 6 months, I will not likely remember that this was the cause.

Hoffl, Feb 14, 2018
  14. AndreTen Win User
    Desktop is one of the default protected folders. But you should be able to copy files with windows explorer. Windows native (and all signed) applications should have access to protected folders. Just checked, and there's no problem with that.

Do you use third party apps for copying?

AndreTen, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot copy a file from USB to desktop in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Cannot copy file

2. Unknown date file name error while copying files from USB to Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unknown date file name error while copying files from USB to Desktop: A search shows this question here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unknown-date-file-name-error-while-copying-files/0b84f813-f102-43b6-8cd7-8eece56763d2 but no solution is seen. 7 years later I find myself with the exact same problem.I copied files Excel...
  3. Unknown date file name error while copying files from USB to Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unknown date file name error while copying files from USB to Desktop: A search shows this question here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unknown-date-file-name-error-while-copying-files/0b84f813-f102-43b6-8cd7-8eece56763d2 but no solution is seen. 7 years later I find myself with the exact same problem.I copied files Excel...
  4. Unknown date file name error while copying files from USB to Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. [SOLVED] Cannot install windows 10 from USB, it skips copying files goes from 0-100% in a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [SOLVED] Cannot install windows 10 from USB, it skips copying files goes from 0-100% in a...: SOLVED:Seems like SSD secure wipe from bios fixed it, either that or formatting to GPT instead of MBR, it still went through copying in 1 sec but actually installed windows and its working now.Problem:I cannot install windows 10 from USB, it skips copying files goes from...
  6. [SOLVED] Cannot install windows 10 from USB, it skips copying files goes from 0-100% in a...

[SOLVED] Cannot install windows 10 from USB, it skips copying files goes from 0-100% in a...: SOLVED:Seems like SSD secure wipe from bios fixed it, either that or formatting to GPT instead of MBR, it still went through copying in 1 sec but actually installed windows and its working now.Problem:I cannot install windows 10 from USB, it skips copying files goes from...
  7. Cannot install windows 10 from USB, it skips copying files goes from 0-100% in a second

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot install windows 10 from USB, it skips copying files goes from 0-100% in a second: Hello,I cannot install windows 10 from USB, it skips copying files goes from 0-100% in a second, then goes through the rest for a minute, then restarts and windows is not found to boot from, I secure cleaned the partition "clean all" in cmd, reset cmos, issue still remains,...
  8. Cannot install windows 10 from USB, it skips copying files goes from 0-100% in a second

Cannot install windows 10 from USB, it skips copying files goes from 0-100% in a second: Hello,I cannot install windows 10 from USB, it skips copying files goes from 0-100% in a second, then goes through the rest for a minute, then restarts and windows is not found to boot from, I secure cleaned the partition "clean all" in cmd, reset cmos, issue still remains,...
  9. Cannot install windows 10 from USB, it skips copying files goes from 0-100% in a second

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. copying file from pc to usb

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    copying file from pc to usb: when trying to copy files from my pc to a usb drive I keep getting error 0x80004005. everything seems to be updated properly https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copying-file-from-pc-to-usb/c7cf6956-94ea-4c44-b888-b47aea2deb6d"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows 10 unknown date

2. can not copy usb files to win 10

3. cannot copy files from usb to desktop virus

4. cannot copy file from usb to desktop,
  5. copy folder from usb drive to folder windows 10