Windows 10: cannot create a file on c drive

Discus and support cannot create a file on c drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Anywhere on the c drive, I cannot create files. I can only create folders. How can I change this ? Where in Windows 10 can I set myself... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by trogne, Aug 25, 2016.

1. trogne Win User

cannot create a file on c drive

Hi,

Anywhere on the c drive, I cannot create files.
    I can only create folders.

How can I change this ?

Where in Windows 10 can I set myself as the power user ?

:)

trogne, Aug 25, 2016
  2. dkhouck63 Win User

Windows 10 Upgrade Becomes Slow After Accepting Terms and Conditions Then Shuts Down

I created an installation DVD and followed these instructions. Once I select 'Startup Repair' it runs the diagnostics and then says that it cannot repair the computer at this time and gives me a file path to a log file on C:\ drive, but I cannot access
    the drive.

dkhouck63, Aug 25, 2016
  3. Creating and Saving Win 10 System Images

Pavan is quite correct. As it is the ROOT drive, the SYSTEM OS that you are imaging, (along with any other drives you wish to image) it cannot be saved to itself. You will note when creating the image, the root drive shows up only as a drive to be copied.
    It does not show up in the destination drives.

You cannot save an image of C: drive, on C: drive, or for that matter F to F, G to G etc. This would defeat the purpose of creating an image. If it were possible to create an image of Root (Ccannot create a file on c drive :) and store it on C:, when C: fails, the image goes with it, which
    is why it is not permissible in the first place.

I just saw how old this is. That was a waste. Oh well, I wonder if he finally got it? :-/

WhiteWolf 6.0, Aug 25, 2016
  4. Private Win User

AFAIK, yes you can't directly create files in C drive root directory even you're the Administrator. But you can create it inside any folder with the help of Command Prompt.

To create an empty file:
    Code: copy nul C:\your_folder\your_file.txt[/quote] To copy file into:
    Code: copy source_file\your_file.txt C:\your_folder\your_file.txt[/quote] Yes, you can edit the files afterwards.

Note: If the files and/or directories have spaces, please wrap them in quotes.

Private, Aug 25, 2016
  5. Whatphoeb Win User
    If UAC is enabled, even if you are part of the administrator's group, you are by default logged in as a standard user. A standard user cannot create a file on C:\ . Hence you do not get an option to create one.
    If you create a new folder on C:\, you will be its owner and hence you can create files in it and Windows 10 will show you options in the new menu to create them.

Whatphoeb, Aug 25, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    What is terrible? As long as you are in your home drive and it is not a folder owned by "Trusted Installer", you can create all of the folders that you want.

Microsoft made any system folders and root to be protected by the Sandbox of the OS, including other safety precautions for the OS like all of the other operating systems are doing.

bro67, Aug 25, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    You naturally can create files in Documents, Videos, Photos... by default on C:. Or are you saying you can't?

In any case, best practise is to keep your personal data off C:

dalchina, Aug 25, 2016
  8. trogne Win User

Thanks. Well, I guess it's for my own safety.

trogne, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. cannot create a file on c drive - Similar Threads - cannot create file

2. Create files on C: root

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create files on C: root: Hi all, I need non-admin users to create files in c: root due to a poor written Epson x32 app.Hence I've added these 2 special permissions in c:\:. users: create files in this folder only. auth users: create folders in this folder only. creator owner: full control in files...
  3. Create files on C: root

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create files on C: root: Hi all, I need non-admin users to create files in c: root due to a poor written Epson x32 app.Hence I've added these 2 special permissions in c:\:. users: create files in this folder only. auth users: create folders in this folder only. creator owner: full control in files...
  4. Restore point cannot be configured or created after C drive recovery

Restore point cannot be configured or created after C drive recovery: An application issue caused by either bad information or a corruption in the registry led me to recover the C drive of my PC from a 3 week old backup. The recovery was successful and the application issue was resolved.However, checking the restore point configuration, it was...
  5. Cannot Save Files to the C Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Save Files to the C Drive: I have changed my permissions to full and ensured that I am a Administrator, but I still cannot save a csv file to the C drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-save-files-to-the-c-drive/e3c88010-6f73-49cc-a4f2-db7e820e11dc
  6. Cannot Save Files to the C Drive

Cannot Save Files to the C Drive: I have changed my permissions to full and ensured that I am a Administrator, but I still cannot save a csv file to the C drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-save-files-to-the-c-drive/e3c88010-6f73-49cc-a4f2-db7e820e11dc
  7. Cannot copy files from C drive to D because C drive is full?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot copy files from C drive to D because C drive is full?: My C drive is almost full 5.08 GB free of 221 GB so I want to move some files to my D drive 88 GB free of 931When I try to copy files from my C drive to the D I get an error message that says There is not enough space on OneDrive. You need an additional 28.1 GB free to copy...
  8. CANNOT CREATE NEW PARTITION FROM C DRIVE

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CANNOT CREATE NEW PARTITION FROM C DRIVE: I've created partitions on other computers for years and never had this message come up. I don't want to click on yes unless I know what it's about.[ATTACH]...
  9. cannot create 7zip archive on c:\

cannot create 7zip archive on c:\: Apprently it is a famous issue and i cannot solve it. here is a previous instance https://sourceforge.net/p/sevenzip/d...ad/5120a09d2a/ I install 7z1900-x64.exe on windows 10 1809 and I right click on 7zFM.exe to run it as administrator. I choose to make 7zip the default...
  10. cannot create 7zip archive on c:\

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot create 7zip archive on c:\: Apprently it is a famous issue and i cannot solve it. here is a previous instance https://sourceforge.net/p/sevenzip/d...ad/5120a09d2a/ I install 7z1900-x64.exe on windows 10 1809 and I right click on 7zFM.exe to run it as administrator. I choose to make 7zip the default...