Windows 10: cannot delete key in regedit

Discus and support cannot delete key in regedit in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; tried to delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\360TotalSecurity Thought I had removed 360 Total Security from pc running Win 10. But it still appears in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jalea148, Jun 27, 2016.

1. jalea148 Win User

cannot delete key in regedit

tried to delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\360TotalSecurity
    Thought I had removed 360 Total Security from pc running Win 10. But it still appears in Task Manager as a Background process. Keep receiving message error while deleting key.
    My account set up as Administrator.

:)

jalea148, Jun 27, 2016

2. VMX Virus (including dataup (32bit), winvmx client, and svcvmx (32bit)

Not able to delete folders in REGEDIT.

Error Deleting Key

Cannot delete "specific folder name": Error while deleting key.

Have done all the security/advanced settings tricks to no avail.

Steveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, Jun 27, 2016
  3. regedit not able to delete keys

Recently i have installed blue stacks on my pc and have deleted it after a few weeks... now i have installed it again and got an error message that I have bluestacks installed already and have to downgrade it... I searched the internet and found out that
    I have to delete all bluestacks related keys from the registry... but when I do that it says "system cant find file". how can I remove the key?

cannot delete key in regedit [​IMG]

WHEN I PRESS OK... I CANNOT SEE ANY KEY OR SOMETHING.... REGDELNULL IS ALSO NOT ABLE TO FIND THIS

I Am YouZZ, Jun 27, 2016
  4. cannot delete key in regedit

Sounds like there is still a service running. Keys are protected to prevent malware from tampering it.
    For starters download and install it again, restart. Use Wise Program Uninstaller to launch a normal uninstaller.
    After it finishes scanning and remove leftovers, restart. If it will be still running, you will have to do it the hard way.

TairikuOkami, Jun 27, 2016
  5. LMiller7 Win User
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\360TotalSecurity will only contain settings related to the software user interface, not with the software itself. These will be somewhere in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Security software must protect itself from malware so you need to follow proper uninstall procedures.

LMiller7, Jun 27, 2016
  6. jalea148 Win User
    I followed the 'proper uninstall procedures' and it's still running in the background. What do you recommend?

jalea148, Jun 27, 2016
  7. jalea148 Win User
    Cannot reinstall. Keep getting error message. What's the hard way [for Win 10]?

jalea148, Jun 27, 2016
  8. cannot delete key in regedit

Click on the running process and select Open File Location, so you will know, where to find the files.

It would probably best to do it a safe mode.

Safe Mode - Start Windows 10 in - Windows 10 Forums

Once in safe mode, the service should not be started, so go to the file location and remove it.
    If it does allow it, you will need to take ownership of it first and then remove it.

Take Ownership - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

There will be some reg entries left, but without files, they will not run anything.
    But you can still remove them, but you will need to take ownership of them as well.

how to take ownership permission of a registry key in windows 10 - YouTube

One key will be located in here under the name of the AV, something like 360 Antivirus.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

You will need to take ownership of it and then remove it.

TairikuOkami, Jun 27, 2016
  9. jalea148 Win User
    This worked; many thanx

jalea148, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

cannot delete key in regedit

1. cannot delete key in regedit - Similar Threads - cannot delete key

2. Cant delete a PUM / regedit virus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant delete a PUM / regedit virus: when i tried to delete it with malwarebytes it kept saying it was succesful but the file kept popping back up on, so i tried deleting it using regedit didnt have permission to do anything with that, i tried to delete it in safeboot mode and it stopped popping up, but when i...
  3. Cant delete a PUM / regedit virus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant delete a PUM / regedit virus: when i tried to delete it with malwarebytes it kept saying it was succesful but the file kept popping back up on, so i tried deleting it using regedit didnt have permission to do anything with that, i tried to delete it in safeboot mode and it stopped popping up, but when i...
  4. Regedit Key

in Windows 10 Customization
    Regedit Key: Is is Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\UEFI\ESRT\{6246273b-248e-4da8-ac6b-b173178607cc}\version decimal? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/regedit-key/9a445763-564f-41ab-853f-02317a726688
  5. Cannot import registry key into regedit

Cannot import registry key into regedit: When i try to import .reg file into regedit it says that file is not .reg file,any solutions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-import-registry-key-into-regedit/2607614e-56de-4287-9b37-58f70d495277
  6. Is it safe to delete program folders in regedit?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it safe to delete program folders in regedit?: Hello, i have deleted programs off my PC but i can still see the software folders in the registry editor. I know they take up little space, but eventually programs i install and uninstall will accumulate, and so it would be a good idea to get rid of the ones i no longer...
  7. Deleted User in regedit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Deleted User in regedit: So yesterday my pc shut down randomly It think it was a blue screen of death or something like that and today when I loaded up I got into a temp user. It wasn't my first time,I had fixed it before. But instead of deleting the right user in regedit I deleted the one with...
  8. Deleted value from regedit

Deleted value from regedit: Hello, I had a problem with automatically closing command prompt. I found solution of deleting AutoRun value from \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor. Unfortunatelly that destroyed my system. Only cmd were available after starting the system. Now I added...
  9. Accidently deleted a registry key in Regedit

Accidently deleted a registry key in Regedit: I accidently deleted a registry key value located in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection. I was attempting to delete one that I had previously created earlier this evening for another attempted fix (AllowTelemetry). The deleted item...
  10. RegEdit - Can I delete this ?

in Windows 10 Support
    RegEdit - Can I delete this ?: When I open "Regedit" - "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" and "HKEY_USERS" a number of points that has the same name. Can these are marked on the image be deleted or they still have a function. ? What software is the best reg cleaner (currently using "CCleaner") [img] 73933