Windows 10: Cannot delete, move, rename folder

Discus and support Cannot delete, move, rename folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I am having issues with a folder which I would like to delete. However, whenever I try to do that I am told I need admin access in order to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by llama, Sep 16, 2017.

1. llama Win User

Cannot delete, move, rename folder

Hello,

I am having issues with a folder which I would like to delete. However, whenever I try to do that I am told I need admin access in order to do so. Problem is, I am the admin and if I go to Properties and in the Security tab, I am not allowed to do any changes and none of the users are displayed in the advanced settings window. The folder does not have any files and its size is 0 bytes. If I open it, I am prompted with a message box which says "Location is not available" and "Access is denied".

I spent countless hours on the internet trying to find a solution but whatever I could find, nothing worked.

Please help!

:)

llama, Sep 16, 2017
  2. fsiSandy Win User

Windows 10 Invalid MS-DOS function when trying to delete, copy, move any file

While this works, I shouldn't have to restart in safe mode to delete files! I cannot delete/rename/or move any file in my download folder. To say this is a pain, is an understatement.

fsiSandy, Sep 16, 2017
  3. Ramesh Srinivasan, Sep 16, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, if you're familiar with the command prompt, then boot to a command prompt (e.g. via SHIFT + left click Restart), access the correct partition (drive letters will be different) and try deleting it from there.

Or try a program such as Emco MoveonBoot (which can also delete on boot).

Another option is to use a boot disk such as Kyhi's, available from the top of the Software and Apps section.

dalchina, Sep 16, 2017
  5. llama Win User
    Tried command prompt with no success. Emco MoveonBoot worked.

Thanks a lot! *Smile

llama, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot delete, move, rename folder - Similar Threads - Cannot delete move

2. the folder may have been moved renamed or deleted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the folder may have been moved renamed or deleted: the folder may have been moved renamed or deleted https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-folder-may-have-been-moved-renamed-or-deleted/adb31747-1a70-4f5e-a48b-8794f12a9425
  3. Cannot delete or rename folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot delete or rename folder: I would like to delete a folder that is in my Documents folder, which is in my One Drive folder, but I am unable to do so and I receive the error message attached below. Based on the error message and from searches I did online, it seems that there is a permission issue. I...
  4. Cannot delete or rename folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete or rename folder: I would like to delete a folder that is in my Documents folder, which is in my One Drive folder, but I am unable to do so and I receive the error message attached below. Based on the error message and from searches I did online, it seems that there is a permission issue. I...
  5. Cannot delete or rename folder

6. cannot delete, move or rename pdf file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot delete, move or rename pdf file: I have tried SFC, DISM, safe mode and disabling Enhanced security in Adobe Reader to remove the PDF file, but to no avail. The file is in Downloads folder of Windows 10, Lenovo laptop Any suggestions please?...
  7. cannot delete, move or rename pdf file

cannot delete, move or rename pdf file: I have tried SFC, DISM, safe mode and disabling Enhanced security in Adobe Reader to remove the PDF file, but to no avail. The file is in Downloads folder of Windows 10, Lenovo laptop Any suggestions please?...
  8. cannot delete, move or rename pdf file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Renaming, Deleting, Moving Folder Slow

Renaming, Deleting, Moving Folder Slow: Hi I've been having a problem with a delay Renaming, Deleting, Moving folder which takes at least about 12 seconds this does not happen for files only for the folder. Also if I log into administrator profile and then do Renaming, Deleting, Moving of a folder it works...
  10. Renaming and moving folders

Renaming and moving folders: When, if ever, is Microsoft going to fix the highly annoying problem that prevents folders from being moved or renamed? This has existed for some times and all kinds of "fixes" can be found on the Web but none of them work. The only fix is to do it with the Run Command, but...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Cannot Rename or Move Folders in Windows 10 Due to Missing FolderDescriptions Registry Entries