Windows 10: Cannot download or open pdf in Edge

Discus and support Cannot download or open pdf in Edge in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Sometime over the past couple of days I have lost the ability to download any files when browsing with Edge and I cannot open PDF files from within... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by wimorrison, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Cannot download or open pdf in Edge

Sometime over the past couple of days I have lost the ability to download any files when browsing with Edge and I cannot open PDF files from within Edge either.

Downloading just says xxxx.yyy couldn't be downloaded and nothing will fix it - yet I can download using IE or Chrome to the same downloads directory. Attempts to open pdf files get exactly the same response.

Any suggestions? I really like Edge and it annoys me that I cannot use it anymore.

Iain

:)

wimorrison, Apr 14, 2016

2. Windows 10 Update Dec. 2016

The latest Windows 10 update download disables both Outlook Live mail, and Microsoft Edge. I cannot open either, unless I restore the PC to before the update. I also cannot open any pdf file, that was saved from Edge. Thoughts?

Johnny1962, Apr 14, 2016
  3. Edge keeps defaulting as PDF viewer

hi, i tried that as well as just changing the file type by right-click over a .pdf, properties then change PDF.

However, in both cases if EDGE launches it becomes the PDF reader again even though it cannot open PDF..

Sometimes in the default programmes window, I cannot uncheck the PDF box..

I use a portable version of Sumatra reader (single file .exe which is not installed on the PC)

Why does EDGE grab the .pdf extension if it cannot open PDF?

GS-toshiba laptop, Apr 14, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Cannot download or open pdf in Edge

dalchina, Apr 14, 2016
  5. @Dalchine, I have tried as you suggest but to no effect as it is still the same as before *Sad

Any other ideas? I can roll back a few weeks to my last system image taken using AOMEI OneKey recovery, but i dont really want to do that.

wimorrison, Apr 14, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 14, 2016
  7. mike s Win User
    Facing the same thing on a clean install ... still no answers
    Edge browser shuts down on loading anything

mike s, Apr 19, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, I think my basic question would be whether your netbook is rated by Lenovo as compatible with Win 10.
    Lenovo supported systems list for Windows 10 Upgrade - Lenovo Support (US)

Notwithstanding that, regarding the drivers, try running a scan with Drivermax (driver scanners are not recommended routinely, and note Windows will quite quickly replace different drivers unless you take specific action)

dalchina, Apr 19, 2016
  9. mike s Win User
    Definitely not supported - much too old. The last supported OS was Win7, and I am using their installation packages for Win7 drivers and helper applications. The S3 Chrome9 video driver - which is probably the culprit if it's a driver - is actually written for Vista, and I doubt there's anything more recent.

DriverMax sounds like an interesting way to find newer drivers through another route ... thanks.

mike s, Apr 19, 2016
  10. gijoetech1, Apr 19, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    Following that idea, if... if.. the only problem you have is Edge (which does not yet support extensions), then simply use a different browser and ignore it.

Sumatra pdf reader is fast and free.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot download or open pdf in Edge - Similar Threads - Cannot download open

2. Make Microsoft Edge download PDF files instead of opening them

in Windows 10 News
    Make Microsoft Edge download PDF files instead of opening them: [ATTACH]Windows 10 almost forces users to use Microsoft Edge as the default application for […] This article Make Microsoft Edge download PDF files instead of opening them first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  3. I cannot open PDF's

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I cannot open PDF's: I cannot open PDF with Adobe Acrobat Reader https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-open-pdfs/6acd27dc-0728-4614-873d-17f5ff5275b7
  4. Browser edge, chrome.. adds the pdf to download again instead of opening.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Browser edge, chrome.. adds the pdf to download again instead of opening.: Whenever I try to open any pdf from my computernot the web in a browser, be it edge, edge dev or chrome it starts downloading pdf again and saves it in downloads folder. When I would open it again it would start downloading again and overwrite the previously downloaded...
  5. Saving a PDF file opened in Edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Saving a PDF file opened in Edge: Until recently, a file opened in Edge could be saved by "right clicking", selecting "Save" and then saving to the target directory on Surface. Now the "Save" functionality is greyed out i.e. saving is not possible so you have to print to PDF which takes longer. Any idea...
  6. Cannot open .pdf documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot open .pdf documents: Hello, I've used .pdf for years on my computer, I've been using Windows 10 for since it came out. I see on your site that there were earlier problesm like this when it first came out. I've not had this problem before, but starting last week I can't open .pdf files. I get...
  7. Couldn’t open PDF in Edge, Something’s keeping this PDF from the opening

in Windows 10 News
    Couldn’t open PDF in Edge, Something’s keeping this PDF from the opening: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 uses Microsoft Edge as a default web browser. This new built-in browser is replaced with the older Internet Explorer for its performance and features. Apart from serving a default browser, Microsoft Edge acts as a default PDF viewer [...] This...
  8. Suggestions to Open .PDF Files (Not Edge)

in Windows 10 Support
    Suggestions to Open .PDF Files (Not Edge): My Windows 7 desktop came with Nuance pdf Reader installed. My Windows 10 default is Edge, but I don't like it and I use Internet Explorer 11 for a browser. Can you suggest a pdf Reader? Thanks, cb 119456
  9. open pdf files using Edge

in Windows 10 Customization
    open pdf files using Edge: I cannot open a PDF online. I am using Win 10 and Adobe Acrobat 9. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/open-pdf-files-using-edge/c94f483d-1aba-4fca-acad-949ae4d5e628
  10. Edge: Force Download PDF Files, or Open in Reader?

in Browsers and Email
    Edge: Force Download PDF Files, or Open in Reader?: ... Or is there anyway I could use adobe reader to open PDF documents in EDGE? ... Is there a way to force Edge to download PDF Files, or open in Acrobat Reader? 13696