Windows 10: Cannot Download Windows 10 using Media Creation Tool

Discus and support Cannot Download Windows 10 using Media Creation Tool in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi - I downloaded the Media Creation Tool from the Microsoft Website and have run it three times in the last day to attempt to download Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by braincramp, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Cannot Download Windows 10 using Media Creation Tool

Hi - I downloaded the Media Creation Tool from the Microsoft Website and have run it three times in the last day to attempt to download Windows 10 production release to a blank USB. I want to try it out on an older pc before upgrading any of our everyday pc's.

The first time I got the not very useful "Something happened" message while attempting to download both the 32 bit and the 64 bit versions. Same thing with just the 64 bit version. Both of these were with a Windows 8.1 laptop. I found a solution here .

I then tried it with a Windows 7.1 pc with the language settings set to English(US). It seemed to be downloading fine -the last time I checked it was at 97%. Then a few minutes later the application was closed and my USB stick was still empty. No error message. Nothing except for two new folders on my C: drive, C:\$WINDOWS.~BT (5 files, 2 folders, 23.5 kb) and C:\$Windows.~WS (2036 files, 215 folders, 10.2 GB).

It takes about 2.5 hours for each download. Can I use the files in the $Windows.~WS to copy to the USB stick to use for downloads?

Are there any log files that might give any clue as to what is happening?

Many thanks

:)

braincramp, Jul 29, 2015
  2. Tryx3 Win User

Getting WIndows 10 Anniversary update.

Yes.

But you have to
    download & install the media creation tool
    again - you cannot re-use a previous version as the ISO it downloads is hardwired into it [so if you used a Media creation tool you installed 6 months ago, you would get the ISO from 6 months ago].

Denis

Tryx3, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Will Window 10 download resume after STOP DOWNLOAD ?

Hi.

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

If Windows 10 download is stopped then, it cannot be resumed. You may need to download it again if stopped during the download.

However If you choose to download and create the install media on a USB/memory stick or DVD, then we can resume after stop download.

To download the ISO file for Windows 10, create the install media on a USB/memory stick or DVD and perform a clean install of Windows 10.

Let us click on the following link to install Windows 10 using the media creation tool:

Windows 10 herunterladen

I hope the above suggestion helps.

Thank you.

Harsha Rasquinha, Jul 29, 2015
  4. bobkn Win User

Cannot Download Windows 10 using Media Creation Tool

I used the media creation tool to download an .iso, rather than going directly to a USB thumb drive. That worked fine.

I had previously prepared a bootable USB thumb drive. I used diskpart. (Google that. Alternately there are freeware utilities that serve the same purpose.) I formatted the drive as FAT32, as needed by my UEFI motherboard.. This was on a Win 8.1 machine, so I simply mounted the .iso and copied its contents to the thumb drive. (With WIn 7, you'd need a freeware utility to mount the .iso.) I've since used the thumb drive for an install.

No guarantees that it'll help, but the .iso download worked both times I tried it, so it must be a trend.

bobkn, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Robinb9 Win User
    worked fine for me on 6 pcs and 3 laptops, only problem i am having is with cortana on my laptop, she does not talk but i do have sound working

Robinb9, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Cannot Download Windows 10 using Media Creation Tool

1. Cannot Download Windows 10 using Media Creation Tool - Similar Threads - Cannot Download using

2. need to reinstall windows, but cannot download media creation tool

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    need to reinstall windows, but cannot download media creation tool: Hello,I want to install windows 10 on a new drive but my current Installation on my old drive can't connect to the internet. I am trying to use my phone to download windows and a usb stick to install. Unfortunately, the microsoft website won't allow my phone to download the...
  3. need to reinstall windows, but cannot download media creation tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    need to reinstall windows, but cannot download media creation tool: Hello,I want to install windows 10 on a new drive but my current Installation on my old drive can't connect to the internet. I am trying to use my phone to download windows and a usb stick to install. Unfortunately, the microsoft website won't allow my phone to download the...
  4. need to reinstall windows, but cannot download media creation tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Downloading Media Creation Tool

Downloading Media Creation Tool: I'm using Ubuntu and I need to download media creation tool for something. But I can't download because when I go download page of Windows, it only shows me option to download ISO file not media creation tool executable. Is there another way to download it from a non-windows...
  6. Download Windows 10 Enterprise ISO using Media Creation Tool

in Windows 10 News
    Download Windows 10 Enterprise ISO using Media Creation Tool: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]The Media Creation Tool is one of the ways of downloading the latest Windows 10 Home and Pro editions ISO. You can also download the latest Enterprise Edition, assuming you have a valid product key. In this post, we will [...] This post Download Windows 10...
  7. Media Creation Tool & downloading Windows 10 ISO

Media Creation Tool & downloading Windows 10 ISO: Hello, I'm trying to download the Windows 10 ISO for school however whenever I try the download stays stuck at 0%. I have tried a few fixes and not have worked. The link to the fixes I have tried is posted here. Some of the things he says to do seem to be inaccurate with...
  8. having troubles downloading windows 10 using media creation tool

having troubles downloading windows 10 using media creation tool: I have troubles downloading windows 10 using media creation tool. I used a USB to get a copy of windows 10 for my new computer but the Windows 10 setup uses the wrong disk space. I used a Removable Disk (F:) but instead it tries to connect to the other disk space. What should...
  9. Downloading in Media Creation Tool

Downloading in Media Creation Tool: How to resume download in Media Creation Tool? Thanks everyone. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/downloading-in-media-creation-tool/fe621427-b54b-4e9f-b756-f80987ccec83
  10. Using Windows 10 Media Creation tool

Using Windows 10 Media Creation tool: Hello The tech I have been working with told me to download the WMC tool to help straighten out my W10 system. He said I will need a 6 gig flash drive. I downloaded the tool to another computer and it is only a 17 MBT .exe file? Why do I need a 6 gig flash drive for this...