Windows 10: Cannot edit registry

Discus and support Cannot edit registry in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello. I can't edit anything in the registry. I searched on a solution and all I could find was people saying to change the permissions, which I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kane, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Kane Win User

Cannot edit registry

Hello. I can't edit anything in the registry. I searched on a solution and all I could find was people saying to change the permissions, which I have done, but it still won't let me edit anything, the same error message pops up as before. Can anyone help please?

:)

Kane, Feb 3, 2018

2. cannot edit registry editor keys

Mike,

Not sure why it doesn't work under built-in admin account. But anyway, using the built-in admin account is not recommended. Does creating a 2nd admin account and running it from there help? App Remover, although recommended often in this forum I haven't
    had a chance to try it myself.

Also, check out these links if they can help.

Install Error "App failed to start because its side-by-side config is incorrect"

Avast WEBforum - Index

(this looks promising)

Avast Error -- Won't Start - Page 2 - Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, and Privacy Software

Ramesh Srinivasan, Feb 3, 2018
  3. cannot edit registry editor keys

The keys are correct and they're using NT Object Manager / Symbolic names. And the reason you can't modify is because of insufficient NTFS permissions or the key is being protected by Avast's real-time protection if it's On.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Feb 3, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

Cannot edit registry

Not until you tell us a bit more. What action did you take to make the error message pop up? What does it say? Can you post a screenshot?

Bree, Feb 3, 2018
  5. Kane Win User
    There's a number of things i'm trying to do as it's a new laptop, but as an example, it says cannot edit disableantispyware: error writing the value's new contents

All permissions are set to full control, but the same error message came up before i changed permissions

Kane, Feb 3, 2018
  6. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey Kane,
    The registry keys your trying to change are probably Owned by TrustedInstaller, so you will have to change the Owner to your User. If you do change the Owner, make sure you change it back to TustedInstaller when done.

Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 10 Security System Tutorials

Change Permissions of Objects for Users and Groups in Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

How to Gain Full Permissions to Edit Protected Registry Keys

You could try PowerRun to make these changes - Download PowerRun - MajorGeeks
    1. Start PowerRun
    2. Add regedit.exe by clicking the +Gear Icon
    3. Run regedit from PowerRun
    4. When finished, close regedit, then close PowerRun

Note: As I'm sure you're aware, regedit is trying to protect you ... by not letting you change those keys *Smile

Eagle51, Feb 3, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    As Eagle51 observes, Regedit is trying to protect you from unintended consequences of your actions. I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve here, but delving into the registry to disable/enable Defender protection would not be my first action on a new laptop.

If Defender is disabled then that's probably due to another AV being installed. The usual way to enable Defender would be to uninstall the 3rd-party AV. Likewise, if you want to disable Defender to allow another AV to install, the AV's own Setup should do that for you. Either way, I can't see why you'd want to edit the registry directly.

If you really must change it yourself, Option Two in this tutorial provides .reg files to do that for you.

Turn On or Off Windows Defender in Windows 10

Bree, Feb 4, 2018
  8. Cannot edit registry

Gain full control over the manufacturer by doing a clean install. You may loose the warranty, but playing in Regedit has the same effect.

Running Defender alone is a better choice. Go for 16299.15.

MikeMecanic, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Cannot edit registry

1. Cannot edit registry - Similar Threads - Cannot edit registry

2. Cannot edit Windows registry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot edit Windows registry: I am running Windows 10 Pro with the latest updates installed on a Lenovo Thinkcentre PC. Ever since the last Windows update I am no longer able to edit the Windows registry. When I double click on a .reg file I get the following error message. "Not all data was successfully...
  3. Cannot edit Windows registry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot edit Windows registry: I am running Windows 10 Pro with the latest updates installed on a Lenovo Thinkcentre PC. Ever since the last Windows update I am no longer able to edit the Windows registry. When I double click on a .reg file I get the following error message. "Not all data was successfully...
  4. Cannot edit Windows registry

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Saving Registry Edits

in Windows 10 Customization
    Saving Registry Edits: Hi,I want to set the Numlock key to automatically turn on at the Windows 10 login page, even after signing out or shutting down and rebooting. The device I want to change this setting for is the Dell Latitude 5511 ST: 9WGMZ53.In the registry editor, I tried edit...
  6. I cannot restore a registry edit I exported

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I cannot restore a registry edit I exported: Context: I have been trying to understand this registry hack to show the option to open both command prompt and shell using a right-click context menu. source:...
  7. Editing the registry

in Windows 10 Support
    Editing the registry: I migrated from win7 to win10 using the in-place method MS recommends. But as a result of that the registry is full of entries for programs that were removed years ago. What I want to do is just remove them; edit them out. I know the best way to remove them is to begin again...
  8. Editing the registry

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Editing the registry: I need to edit the registry to remove/expunge residual program entries after an un-install and clean-up. Background I upgraded from win7 to win10, and noted that installed apps several versions of VideoStudio failed on the 2nd and subsequent execution on win10. I've...
  9. Registry Edit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Registry Edit: I deleted something from registry edit. Im not too sure what, it was along the lines of Tab- or Tablet- because i was going through getting rid of anything that could be causing errors for my new tablet drivers. But now im getting a flashing screen, and white icons (or no...
  10. registry editer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    registry editer: the only place I can find it is in system configuration, under tools and cannot remove it!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/registry-editer/26358bbd-5cec-46d7-bab8-36f6bc7afb9f