Windows 10: cannot enable scaling with HiDPI laptop - nVidia GeForce 750M

Discus and support cannot enable scaling with HiDPI laptop - nVidia GeForce 750M in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just completed a dirty install of Win10 (10074) on top of Win8.1. I would have done a clean install but I was hoping not to have to reinstall all my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Cincinnatux, May 30, 2015.

1. cannot enable scaling with HiDPI laptop - nVidia GeForce 750M

I just completed a dirty install of Win10 (10074) on top of Win8.1. I would have done a clean install but I was hoping not to have to reinstall all my Steam content. Looks like I'm going to have to do a clean install to solve this, but on the off chance I can get things working with the current dirty version, that would work best for me.

I have a 2014 Dell XPS 15-9530 laptop with an nVidia GeForce 750M GPU. When I attempted to adjust the scaling of my display (which has defaulted to the 3400x1800 setting), I discovered that the nVidia Control Panel only contains settings for 3D. When I attempted to change the scaling in Windows Settings, resolution is greyed out (meaning I have to live with 3400x1800 resolution) and the text scaling does nothing, even though I've got it set at +300%. I've seen YouTube videos showing that Win10 can handle scaling (whereas Win8.1 always struggled with it), but I haven't been able to get it working on my current install.

I thought I might be able to make some progress by switching from Slow Ring to Fast Ring and attempting to update to a build newer than 10074, but I get the dreaded 0x8024402f error every time I try to use Windows Update to connect. Are test versions of Win10 supposed to connect using Windows Update, or is there a different pathway I should be trying?

First Update:
    I've rebooted the machine with no change, but my next move is to reboot it again just in case. You never know....

Rebooting again made no difference. Further research, however, suggested that my problem is an improperly functioning Intel HD graphics driver; it appears that scaling is not handled by the nVidia GPU but by the Intel HD. So I went to Intel's site and allowed their downloadable utility to autodetect missing/out-of-date drivers and it identified Windows 10 Home Insider Preview as my OS and suggested I download the latest Iris/HD driver for Windows 8, 15.36.19.64.4170. It's going to take a while on my connection. I will edit this post once I have the results of that effort.

Second Update:
    Rats. The new Intel driver has had no discernible effect. As you can see in the partial screenshot shown below, I am not permitted to change the resolution settings. Menu text is only 1 mm in height, making it painfully difficult to read without putting my face next to the laptop's display. *Sad

cannot enable scaling with HiDPI laptop - nVidia GeForce 750M [​IMG]

:)

Cincinnatux, May 30, 2015

2. Windows 10 nVIDIA GeForce 750M Driver

Is there a windows 10 driver for nVIDIA GeForce 750M Media Accelerator HD?

If I allow windows to update, it will update with a driver that will crash on a restart

My PC is a Dell 7737 with a nVIDIA GeForce GT 750M graphics card, driver version 10.18.13.5362

carling2003, May 30, 2015
  3. RonKropp Win User
    Windows 10 updates are causing font and graphics scaling issues

I have: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

I did not attempt to do any updates since Microsoft has been updating Windows several times over the past week.

Scaling problems started after a major Windows 10 update last week.

RonKropp, May 30, 2015
Thema:

cannot enable scaling with HiDPI laptop - nVidia GeForce 750M

1. cannot enable scaling with HiDPI laptop - nVidia GeForce 750M - Similar Threads - cannot enable scaling

2. How to enable and use Auto tuning in NVIDIA GeForce Experience

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable and use Auto tuning in NVIDIA GeForce Experience: [IMG]This post will show you how to enable and use Auto tuning in NVIDIA GeForce Experience. GeForce Experience by NVIDIA is a program designed to enhance the gaming experience as it offers various features, including automatic driver updates, game recording and streaming,...
  3. NVIDIA Geforce 920m

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NVIDIA Geforce 920m: Hi, I would like to change my PC's default graphics processor to Nvidia Geforce 920m, which is installed in my system, how do i do it? Thanking you, Ibrahim https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nvidia-geforce-920m/b894ea00-c76d-46a2-adff-89b1f746428e
  4. NVIDIA GeForce 940MX

NVIDIA GeForce 940MX: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX cant install iti download driver from HP drivers and nothing it gives me warning message in device manger[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nvidia-geforce-940mx/1f6bb690-54bc-4488-8071-ddc8bd9e53e0
  5. Nvidia driver and Geforce experience cannot be installed

Nvidia driver and Geforce experience cannot be installed: i cant install geforce experience it gives me an error i tried every troubleshoot method none worked and i cant install the driver manually. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nvidia-driver-and-geforce-experience-cannot-be/8ea89ed7-5f87-4162-b373-a371a91574eb
  6. Nvidia geforce GT540M

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Nvidia geforce GT540M: I used to have problems with my graphic cards. I have 2 graphic cards one is Intel and the other is Nvidia. Then I went to a repair store and the guy said that my Nvidia graphic card was burned and then he replace with a new one. After my laptop repaired for a while I didn't...
  7. Cannot Update NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Drivers

Cannot Update NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Drivers: Curious to know where to go from here as far as installing drivers. I wanted to reinstall the most current driver I had for this card due to some weird performance issues i was noticing and most of my research online was pointing to a possible corruption of drivers. So,... i...
  8. Laptop NVIDIA GeForce Card - Dedicated Memory

Laptop NVIDIA GeForce Card - Dedicated Memory: Anything in bold is copy pasted from information elsewhere. Laptop Acer Aspire v3-772g Windows 10 NIVIDIA GeForce GT 750m Systemrequirementslab.com sometimes spits at me that I have 3gb or 4gb dedicated video memory on my card, and sometimes 1gb. So I dediced to...
  9. nVidia GeForce 8800GT and GeForce 9500GT

nVidia GeForce 8800GT and GeForce 9500GT: I have an older machine I use for backup (Dell OptiPlex 745) fairly well appointed, with an on-the-motherboard graphics adapter (Intel, I think) running one monitor and a plug-in nVidia based adapter, running two monitors. I was running Linux on it until January 2015, when I...
  10. Interaction with NVidia GeForce 750m & Intel HD 4600 in HP Envy 17'

Interaction with NVidia GeForce 750m & Intel HD 4600 in HP Envy 17': Hi there, New here. Trying to ensure I stick to the good/bad thread title. I have a HP Envy 17 Leap Motion SE NB PC with: Windows 10 Home 64-bit Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4702MQ CPU @ 2.20GHz 2x4GB Micron Technology 1600MHz System Board:1968 KBC Version 93.52 BIOS:...