Windows 10: Cannot extend display to second monitor

Discus and support Cannot extend display to second monitor in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I am using windows 10 pro on my Powerspec desktop PC. I have one HP monitor and one AOC monitor. I had three monitors (one HP and 2 AOC monitors)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by wendylou, Jan 24, 2017.

1. wendylou Win User

Cannot extend display to second monitor

I am using windows 10 pro on my Powerspec desktop PC. I have one HP monitor and one AOC monitor. I had three monitors (one HP and 2 AOC monitors) working fine using extended display. After removing one monitor (now have 2), the extended display does not work any more. I can use "Duplicate these displays", "Show only on 1" or "Show only on 2", all work fine, except "Extend these displays". When I select Extended, the second screen shows up with task bar, but I cannot move any window onto the second screen. The mouse does not move over either. I tried update the display driver, rebooting computer, reconnect the cable, nothing works! What's wrong?

:)

wendylou, Jan 24, 2017

2. Duplicating taskbar across multiple displays.

Hello,

In setting up two display monitors, options like Duplicate these displays, Extend these displays, Show only on 1, and Show only on 2 are provided to customize the display settings. In choosing Extend these displays, which lets you extend your actual working
    area to the second monitor, a primary or main monitor is set up as well. The primary monitor is generally the one that displays the majority of details and hosts the primary desktop. Although the Taskbar is available on both the monitors, but the primary one
    is more functional and accessible. The icons you see in the main monitor cannot be displayed on the second monitor as well, this is the distinction between the main display monitor and the extended or second monitor, which is a software design.

Feel free to post your query should you need assistance.

Vanessa Oca, Jan 24, 2017
  3. Second monitor shows same screen as first, but not detected

My second monitor was working fine (extended), then after a restart it came on with the identical display as the first. I went to display settings and a second monitor cannot be detected even though it is showing. I looked at the control panel drivers and
    there is no update. Any ideas?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Devices & drivers

AlexCushley, Jan 24, 2017
  4. EdTittel Win User

Try moving the mouse cursor in the opposite direction. If that tracks to your other screen, you can rearrange your monitors in the Display Settings area and get things working properly.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 24, 2017
  5. wendylou Win User
    Thanks a lot Ed! You are right, when I move mouse to the opposite direction, it went to the other screen! I guess the order of the screen is wrong. How do I rearrange the order? Thanks again for your quick help!

wendylou, Jan 24, 2017
  6. wendylou Win User
    I was able to drag my screen and change the order on Display Settings. Now it work correctly. Thanks, Ed, for your help! Save me hours of frustration!

wendylou, Jan 24, 2017
  7. EdTittel Win User
    Glad to be of service Wendy Lou! You figured it out before I saw the post had been answered. Good for you. Glad it worked.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot extend display to second monitor - Similar Threads - Cannot extend display

2. Unable to extend to second monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to extend to second monitor: Hi, I own Dell Inspiron 14-3467, with IntelR HD Graphics 620 and Radeon TM R5 M430 GPUs. I bought two monitors, Acer B326HK 4K and Dell P2419H, connected to the laptop using HDMI splitters. The chronology of the problem is as below:The second monitor Acer only duplicates the...
  3. Unable to extend to second monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to extend to second monitor: Hi, I own Dell Inspiron 14-3467, with IntelR HD Graphics 620 and Radeon TM R5 M430 GPUs. I bought two monitors, Acer B326HK 4K and Dell P2419H, connected to the laptop using HDMI splitters. The chronology of the problem is as below:The second monitor Acer only duplicates the...
  4. Extending Monitor Display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extending Monitor Display: I am using a television as a second monitor, but when I extend the display, it gives me a "not supported" box. The main monitor however is fine, but all the windows and icons disappear, and I am left with only the taskbar on the screen as if my main monitor has become the...
  5. Extending Monitor Display

Extending Monitor Display: I am using a television as a second monitor, but when I extend the display, it gives me a "not supported" box. The main monitor however is fine, but all the windows and icons disappear, and I am left with only the taskbar on the screen as if my main monitor has become the...
  6. Chromecast to Extend Display / Second Monitor

Chromecast to Extend Display / Second Monitor: Hi there, I have followed all manner of previous tutorials to trick windows into thinking I have a physical hdmi attached, but the previous workarounds that used the "try connecting to VGA anyway" function are no longer available on Windows 10. This is incredibly frustrating,...
  7. Chromecast to Extend Display / Second Monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chromecast to Extend Display / Second Monitor: Hi there, I have followed all manner of previous tutorials to trick windows into thinking I have a physical hdmi attached, but the previous workarounds that used the "try connecting to VGA anyway" function are no longer available on Windows 10. This is incredibly frustrating,...
  8. Chromecast to Extend Display / Second Monitor

9. Cannot drag an excel file to the second monitor when at extended displays

Cannot drag an excel file to the second monitor when at extended displays: I am using a laptop and a universal docking system from J5 create. I can see 2 monitors display 1 and 2. My display is set at extended displays and I drag my excel file from monitor 1 to 2 and nothing happen. What did I miss? Your help is much appreciated. Sonya...
  10. Extend Display to second and third monitors

Extend Display to second and third monitors: Hi, I have always been able to extend my display but now it seems I cannot. Have tried all the usual, swapping a new screen, trying to connect with new cable, using a different location none of which works. Other people can plug into my screens and extend their displays but...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot extend the display

2. cannot extend to second monitor