Windows 10: Cannot extend un-allocated space

Discus and support Cannot extend un-allocated space in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I cannot extend my c drive to take this unallocated space of 651MB? [img] How do i do it? 24152 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Ninetailz, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Ninetailz Win User

Cannot extend un-allocated space

I cannot extend my c drive to take this unallocated space of 651MB?

Cannot extend un-allocated space [​IMG]

How do i do it?

:)

Ninetailz, Sep 25, 2015
  2. lacrumb Win User

Windows tells me I don't have enough space to download updates.

How big is your disk?

Go Disk Management.

If there is un-allocated space on the disk move other partitions so the un-allocated space is just behind the (CCannot extend un-allocated space :) partition. then extend the (CCannot extend un-allocated space :) partition into the area. You will need over 20 GB to do updates.

If there is no un-allocated space see if you can reduce other partitions to get un-allocated space.

You can also look at your (CCannot extend un-allocated space :) drive in File Explorer and remove unnecessary files and folders.

lacrumb, Sep 25, 2015
  3. lacrumb Win User
    Windows tells me I don't have enough space to download updates.

In trying to extend the (CCannot extend un-allocated space :) partition the un-allocated space must be just right of the (CCannot extend un-allocated space :) partition and touching.

lacrumb, Sep 25, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

Cliff S, Sep 25, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can't extend your C: drive partition to the unallocated space because the EFI system partition is in the way. Use MiniTool Partition Wizard Free:

Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

Move the 260mb EFI System Partition to the very beginning of the disk, which will result in the unallocated space being between the EFI partition and C: drive partition. Then still using Partition Wizard, you can expand the C: drive partition into the unallocated space.

NavyLCDR, Sep 25, 2015
  6. Ninetailz Win User
    I did that but i don't know why my efi system partition got more space after moving? is that a bad thing?

Ninetailz, Sep 26, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Not necessarily bad, just a little bit of wasted space. You could shrink it down to 150mb in size, with the free space created at the end, then add that to the C: drive partition.

However, if you do that - without leaving free space in the EFI partition, you might have problems with future upgrades to Windows. The Windows 10 upgrade liked to see an EFI partition 350mb in size. So, if you wanted to ensure compatibility with future upgrades, you could shrink it to 350mb in size and add the 50mb or so to your C: drive partition.

It won't hurt anything to leave it as it is, though.

NavyLCDR, Sep 26, 2015
  8. Ninetailz Win User

I cannot seem to shrink it...

Ninetailz, Sep 26, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Are you using MiniTool Partition Wizard to shrink it? What error are you getting when you try?

NavyLCDR, Sep 26, 2015
  10. Ninetailz Win User
    Yes, No error, just cannot shrink using up and down arrow.

Well i can split (split feature on minitool) it to a 50 mb partition then delete it and then make the c drive take it, should i do that?

Ninetailz, Sep 26, 2015
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    If it is really that important to you to get that extra 50mb back into C: drive, what I would try first is:

Click on the EFI partition in Partition Wizard to highlight it. Click the move/resize partition icon in the menu bar. Uncheck the block for "Using enhanced data protection mode". Now on the Partition Size block you can click the little down arrow to shrink the partition and add free space to the end. I think Partition Wizard is saving some free space so that it creates a small backup of files to be moved to allow the shrink operation with the "Using enhanced Data Protection mode" checked.

Splitting the partition with an empty 50mb partition and then deleting it and adding it to C: drive would probably also work. The only concern I would have is if the boot files got moved to the 50mb partition and then you deleted it, you would have to repair your no-boot files situation. But, I suppose if the 50mb partition was showing 100% free space, then you could be fairly certain you weren't deleting anything necessary.

NavyLCDR, Sep 26, 2015
  12. Ninetailz Win User
    Ok thanks, then i won't be doing anything 50 mb isn't that important to get back *Smile leaving it as it is after the move

Ninetailz, Sep 26, 2015
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Well, I actually just did mine. My system reserved partition with the boot files was 500mb and it would not let me shrink it below about 400mb, so I unchecked that box and it let me shrink it down further to 350mb. Everything worked OK on my laptop.

NavyLCDR, Sep 26, 2015
  14. Ninetailz Win User
    Well i will keep the 407mb just in case something happens and who knows if it will work the same way it did for you.
    Now that i remember, i deleted my reserved partition also recovery partition, will there be any problem for that?

Ninetailz, Sep 27, 2015
  15. Cliff S New Member
    If I may make a suggestion, when you receive software updates for all your 3rd party programs start saving the installers, and get ahold of any drivers from your OEM and save them to an external device, and think about a clean install and during install, destroy all partitions, then let Windows, set everything up as it needs. It should look like this then:

***Note the unallocated is for my SSD for Garbage collection.***

Cliff S, Sep 27, 2015
Thema:

1. Cannot extend un-allocated space - Similar Threads - Cannot extend allocated

2. i cannot extend C: volume, i have 500gb available on the drive, un-allocated how can i...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    i cannot extend C: volume, i have 500gb available on the drive, un-allocated how can i...: I am running out of space on my C: drive, I have 500gb un-allocated on the drive, but the Extend Volume on C: is greyed out , I cannot access it how do I extend C:....?? please help.......
  3. Not able to convert un-allocated space to free space in windows 10 ?

Not able to convert un-allocated space to free space in windows 10 ?: I have two disk.disk 0 Hdd 1Tbdisk 1 Ssd 240 GbI am making dual boot by installing ubuntu. I follow normal guide of dual booting. I created un-allocated space of 60 GB in disk 1 for ubuntu. But in process of installing It should have free space but it shows that un-allocated...
  4. Not able to convert un-allocated space to free space in windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to convert un-allocated space to free space in windows 10 ?: I have two disk.disk 0 Hdd 1Tbdisk 1 Ssd 240 GbI am making dual boot by installing ubuntu. I follow normal guide of dual booting. I created un-allocated space of 60 GB in disk 1 for ubuntu. But in process of installing It should have free space but it shows that un-allocated...
  5. Not able to convert un-allocated space to free space in windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. How to allocate space on one disk to another disk to extend the C:

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to allocate space on one disk to another disk to extend the C:: My laptop came with 1TB of space but the majority of it is in the D: drive. I have tried looking everywhere for how to extend the C drive. These are the things I've tried to do/ looked at doing:-I can't extend the partition because the space is on disk 1 whereas C: is on disk...
  7. How to allocate space on one disk to another disk to extend the C:

How to allocate space on one disk to another disk to extend the C:: My laptop came with 1TB of space but the majority of it is in the D: drive. I have tried looking everywhere for how to extend the C drive. These are the things I've tried to do/ looked at doing:-I can't extend the partition because the space is on disk 1 whereas C: is on disk...
  8. How to allocate space on one disk to another disk to extend the C:

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. Allocating Disk Space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Allocating Disk Space: I allocated 1 terabyte to PopOS but I decided I don't like it much. How do I reallocate the space back to windows? submitted by /u/Lawfulness_Negative [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k102ok/allocating_disk_space/
  10. Cannot Extend Disk in to Unallocated space

Cannot Extend Disk in to Unallocated space: [ATTACH] I want to extend D: into the 74gigs of Unallocated space. If i **** the drive by making it Dynamic how do I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-extend-disk-in-to-unallocated-space/54319428-4838-41cd-bda6-3600734680fb"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot extend unallocated space efi