Windows 10: Cannot figure out what is now waking computer

Discus and support Cannot figure out what is now waking computer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This started a few days ago and I can not find the culprit. Monitor will go to sleep, only to wake up at some unknown interval; if I manually put the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Not Myself, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Cannot figure out what is now waking computer

This started a few days ago and I can not find the culprit. Monitor will go to sleep, only to wake up at some unknown interval; if I manually put the computer to sleep, such as around 2100 last night, I will find it awake, as I did this morning at 0430.

The other computer was also awake last night, so I put it to sleep; it was asleep at 0430, but awake at 0618; time that it woke up unknown.

Only change made on both computers over past forty-eight or so hours was to enable hibernation, to try to ascertain why APC PowerChute software is not working with Windows 10. Is there any possibility that that could be causing problems? Yes, I know, and shall disable it to test, but want to ask here anyway.

These items pertain only to my computer; I have not looked at anything on my wife's machine:

1. Keyboard and mouse are the only things authorized to wake it.

2. Event viewer shows a wake-time, but does not state what woke the machine.

3. Possibly unrelated, but strange: Task Scheduler/Task Status shows not a single task for the past seven days, but an error message about a selected task no longer exists pops up, and says to refresh; refresh does nothing. The Active Tasks list shows lots of tasks scheduled for today and tomorrow, even a few for later.

I started checking possible wake-up matters around 0445 local this morning, so I may have forgotten to post other things that I may have looked at.

:)

Not Myself, Aug 5, 2015
  2. Jose09(2) Win User

How do I stop Windows 10 from waking itself up from Sleep Mode?

I've had this problem back with Windows 8.1 but was able to fix it using the Device Manager. But I have tried just about everything in the Device Manager and unchecking the "Allow this device to wake my computer" but it still keeps waking up. In Windows
    8.1, I could go to Command Prompt and use "powercgf -devicequery wake_armed" and it would tell me what woke it. But they removed that feature from Windows 10 because CMD Prompt says "powercfg is not recognized". This was a useful feature to have and now my
    computer keeps waking up for no reason and I can't figure out why. The keyboard and Mouse is disabled from waking up the computer.

Does anybody know how to find out what's waking it up and how to stop it in Windows 10?

Jose09(2), Aug 5, 2015
  3. Sleep

Since the last major update, my computer will not stay in sleep mode. I noticed in the morning that it was not sleeping. It can be put manually into sleep but after a few minutes it wakes up. I made no changes, so what did the update change and how do
    I figure out what is waking the computer.

VoytekDolinski, Aug 5, 2015
  4. Cannot figure out what is now waking computer

I have noticed it coming awake if Windows is 'silently' downloading some updates. I saw this early this week I believe. Although, I have seen this happen on my 8.1 Pro rig many times and it was to the point it would be so bright it woke me up in the wee hours of the morning.

BlauUmlaut, Aug 5, 2015
  5. In advanced power options, maximize sleep & allow wake timers and set it to "Important wake timers only".

Cannot figure out what is now waking computer [​IMG]

Personally I only allow the keyboard to wake the system (mouse & network adapter wake disabled), because any little vibration on the mouse can wake it.

fracking4oil, Aug 5, 2015
  6. Interesting possibility, but I see no updates since the problem with the spurious printer-driver update that I reported in another thread, which last took place 04Aug2015.

Not Myself, Aug 5, 2015
  7. I just changed that setting; it is certainly possible that I had set it to Enable on both machines, something that I don't remember having done. However, as my religion bans the use of personal memory....

Later: I do recall having set that to "enable" on my computer: For yet another inexplicable reason (or perhaps a lack thereof,) when I enabled Hibernation, that disabled my Power settings entirely; when I re-enabled them, I did make changes, and that was extremely likely to have been a setting that I chose. (Again, I have yet to check the wife's computer, so don't know what the setting is there; I will get to her machine later.)

Not Myself, Aug 5, 2015
  8. Looey Win User

Cannot figure out what is now waking computer

Recently I installed a Logitech wireless mouse that kept waking my computer. I changed to a different mouse and the problem went away.

Looey, Aug 5, 2015
  9. idan Win User
    idan, Aug 5, 2015
  10. Possible, but, I have had a Logitech wireless mouse for at least a month now without wake-up problems, and the Logitech mouse on my wife's computer is wired.

Not Myself, Aug 5, 2015
  11. CyberTod Win User
    The 'Allow wake timers' option is bugged or at least it was yesterday prior to SR1.
    Even if you set it to disabled it still allows wake timers, so check in command prompt with :
    powercfg /waketimers
    This is different from powercfg /devicequery wake_armed which shows which devices are allowed to wake pc
    If you have anything in waketimers that can wake your computer it probably will. For me it was Teamviewer.

CyberTod, Aug 5, 2015
  12. YOU
    You Win User
    It is possible that PowerChute is causing r computer to wake up. Have checked to see if it is the problem by uninstalling it yet? If conclude that it is not the problem, try disabling computer wake up by r internet adapter. I had a similar issue with an old Windows Vista computer, and it was being caused by the network adapter waking the computer up. How to Stop Network Activity from Waking r Windows PC

13. Cannot figure out what is now waking computer

Ironic that you should mention Teamviewer, which powercfg /waketimers did show; that reminded me to go to the program and disable it from starting when Windows starts, which I had been meaning to do. I only installed the free version of Teamviewer out or curiosity, and kept forgetting to stop it from loading. However, it has never caused any wake-up problems of which I am aware, and as it is not on my wife's computer, does not account for her machine now waking up.

I also found an odd task to update Media Center (which is on my computer, one of several things left over, as it were, from the update to Windows 10. I have deleted the task, which indicated that it could not find the file anyway. Doing that will likely add to the multiple error messages I now get when starting Task Scheduler, all of which I am certain refer to some obsolete tasks I deleted yesterday, and which, following the instructions on those messages to Refresh only brings them up again, sigh.

Not Myself, Aug 5, 2015
  14. No, I've not yet removed it, but there is something that I want to test with it, but first I want to determine if the change in my sleep settings recommended earlier in this thread has fixed the problem. If that does not remedy the situation, then my next test will be to disconnect the data cable from the APC on my computer. It was after a power failure a few nights ago that I found that hibernate is disabled by default in Windows 10, which I would have expected PowerChute to report, as it did with Windows 7. Without hibernate, Powerchute can not put a computer into that suspended state before the UPS shuts down before the battery goes dead. (One of my few neighbors told me that the outage lasted six hours; we have had many more, such, some also lengthy, recently, than in the past, which I suspect are being caused by failing infrastructure.) APC told me, when I reported this, that they have not tested their software against Windows 10. That the sleep failures appear to have started after I enabled hibernation has made me suspect that now PowerChute is working improperly; removing the data cable ought to prove my theory, which I will do if, again, the sleep setting change does not fix the problem.

Despite the PowerChute failure, both computers restarted properly, not even sending me to the Windows Safe Start module where you are offered, among other choices, `restart normally', or whatever the text actually says.

Network adapters are set to allow the computer to turn them off, not for them to wake the computer.

Not Myself, Aug 5, 2015
  15. 1. Disabled Hibernation, computer continued to wake up, often around fifteen minutes after putting it to sleep.

2. Disconnected data cable from UPS to computer, same result as (1.)

3. Removed PowerChute, same result as (1.)

4. Decided to use msconfig to disable startups as a test method. That did not work, either: The version of msconfig is quite different from that in Windows 7. Now, when you go to the Startups tab in msconfig, instead of getting the list of startups, you are presented with a link to the Task Manager.

When you to to the Task Manager list, you have to disable each startup individually, and when you are done, there is button or link to use to go back to msconfig. So, I have tried going back to msconfig, only to see that my settings have changed from selective startup to normal startup; I quit at that point, not knowing what to do next.

I guess that, if you reselect Selective Startup, your disable list in Task Manager will be used, but I don't want to do that until someone who knows how msconfig now works provides that information, lest I foul matters up.

Not Myself, Aug 6, 2015
Thema:

Cannot figure out what is now waking computer

1. Cannot figure out what is now waking computer - Similar Threads - Cannot figure waking

2. Can't figure out what's crashing my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't figure out what's crashing my computer: I recently upgrade my motherboard, CPU, SSD, and memory sticks on my computer. Essentially everything but the graphics card has been replaced. I also gave it a fresh install of windows 10, updated all the drivers I could find updates for, and I updated the BIOS. Since...
  3. Can't figure out what's crashing my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't figure out what's crashing my computer: I recently upgrade my motherboard, CPU, SSD, and memory sticks on my computer. Essentially everything but the graphics card has been replaced. I also gave it a fresh install of windows 10, updated all the drivers I could find updates for, and I updated the BIOS. Since...
  4. Can't figure out what's crashing my computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. BSOD - need to figure out what causing this

BSOD - need to figure out what causing this: Hi there As the user has access to the HP Software Updates, user kicked off the 2 updates in relation to BIOS and NIC firmware upgrade yesterday and come back home and when he started he got the BSOD. User managed to get into Safe mode and now reboot as normal. Checked...
  6. Strangest Ethernet Problem, New Computer. Cannot figure it out.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strangest Ethernet Problem, New Computer. Cannot figure it out.: Hey guys, I'd like to preface this by saying for the past 5 years or so, I've built many computers, all of which had zero issues. Today, I built a new one, and now I'm dealing with my first issue. Here are some specs that I think matter: Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z490-A...
  7. Can't figure out what's causing this BSOD

Can't figure out what's causing this BSOD: Can someone help me figure out what's causing this BSOD? It's Win 10 Pro (1909). I've made sure the drivers and BIOS are up to date already and ran sfc /scannow that did repair some errors. ************* Path validation summary ************** Response Time (ms) Location...
  8. How to figure out whats stopping a computer from booting?

How to figure out whats stopping a computer from booting?: A laptop of mine recently decided to stop working. I used chkdsk on the hard drive a few times but that just said the diskor the filesystem at least was good. I've ran memtest86 on it for about a hour with no problems so i don't think ram is a problem for it. How would i find...
  9. How to figure out what firmware was installed

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to figure out what firmware was installed: Good morning, My SurfaceGo just installed some new firmware. I checked the UpdateHistory but could not find anything. Any suggestions on how to figure out what firmware was installed ? Thanks Lee 127740
  10. How to figure out what firmware was installed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to figure out what firmware was installed: Good morning, My SurfaceGo just installed some new firmware. I checked the UpdateHistory but could not find anything. Any suggestions on how to figure out what firmware was installed ? Thanks Lee 127740