Windows 10: Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

Discus and support Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Desktop is showing icons as normal. But if I try to find what is on my desktop by using file manager, I cannot find the icon. I also checked under... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sturpe, Jan 4, 2018.

1. sturpe Win User

Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

My Desktop is showing icons as normal. But if I try to find what is on my desktop by using file manager, I cannot find the icon. I also checked under C;\user my name, public, default and no desktop listed on any of them. Any suggestions?

:)

sturpe, Jan 4, 2018
  2. TerryT_G Win User

Unable to access desktop in Windows 10

I have the same problem with the desktop though can access it through File Explorer. The file explorer now shows the list of files double spaced, many screens cannot be minimised or reduced (no minimise or reduce buttons) and some cannot be closed (e.g.
    settings). The Action centre icon has been replaced by a Touch Keypad icon and there is no Show Desktop button.

TerryT_G, Jan 4, 2018
  3. TerryT_G Win User
    Unable to access desktop in Windows 10

I have the same problem with the desktop though can access it through File Explorer. The file explorer now shows the list of files double spaced, many screens cannot be minimised or reduced (no minimise or reduce buttons) and some cannot be closed (e.g.
    settings). The Action centre icon has been replaced by a Touch Keypad icon and there is no Show Desktop button.

TerryT_G, Jan 4, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

Mine wasn't showing so I right-clicked the Desktop, clicked Sort by, then clicked Name. Following that I hit F5 to refresh, icon showing now in upper left corner. It is possible to move an icon over the top of another icon to hide it, whether intentional or accidental.

Berton, Jan 4, 2018
  5. sturpe Win User
    Icons are all showing on the desktop. That is not the problem. When I go to file explorer and look at C;\Users (My Name) Desktop does not show.

sturpe, Jan 5, 2018
  6. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey sturpe,
    This may be a long shot, since you said it's missing from USERNAME, Default, and Public ... So, if you haven't already ...

1. Have you tried just going to the folder in File Explorer > Address Bar > C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop to see if actually still exist.

2. If does still exist, it could have gotten hidden or it's desktop.ini could be missing/corrupt.

See this tutorial for showing hidden files/folders - Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Note ... To see the desktop.ini you have to un-hide Protected Operating System Files ...

FYI ... My ... C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\desktop.ini ... looks like this

[.ShellClassInfo]
    LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21769
    IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-183

Eagle51, Jan 5, 2018
  7. RichardC Win User
    Go to file explorer. In address bar there is ">" to the left of user's pc. Left click on it and select desktop. It will show all apps and shortcuts on your desktop. Hope that's what you're looking for.

RichardC, Jan 6, 2018
  8. sturpe Win User

Yes this is where I would expect to see the Desktop ICON but it isn't there.

sturpe, Jan 7, 2018
  9. sturpe Win User
    I have done further exploration based on the replies I have received. I should mention I am helping a friend remotely with this problem which makes trouble shooting it a little more difficult for me. After looking more carefully here is what I discovered. (I must have missed it the first time I looked into it.)

There is a Desktop listed under C:\Users\Public. The Icons within that file are shown on the computer desktop.

There are additional icons on the computer desktop that are not in the C:\User\Public folder. Looking at the general properties of the "additional" icons shows they are located in the C:\Users\Username\Desktop. The problem is I cannot locate the C:\Users\Username\Desktop folder anywhere using File Manager. Yes, the computer is set to view hidden files, folders and drives.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

sturpe, Jan 7, 2018
  10. davehc Win User
    Mine is under username.? No deeper

davehc, Jan 7, 2018
  11. Berton Win User
    Mine also. However, I had added another User while diagnosing a problem and it has no icons in its Folder. The Public Folder in Users has the same icons as mine.

Berton, Jan 7, 2018
  12. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey sturpe,
    In File Explorer > Address Bar ... If you manually type in C:\Users\Username\Desktop ... does it popup an error ... windows can't find 'C:\Users\Username\Desktop' check spelling and try again ???

Eagle51, Jan 7, 2018
  13. sturpe Win User

Now that is interesting. If I do what you suggest, File Explorer Address bar changes to C:\Users\username\documents and the missing ICONS are there. But there is still not a "Desktop" folder.

Is this a step in the right direction?

sturpe, Jan 7, 2018
  14. Eagle51 Win User
    Hmmm, that's a bit strange and i'm not sure what to make of it.

Edit: I'm wondering if the Desktop folder got merged with Documents folder. If it did, I don't think you can un-merge them. You may have to just create a new C:\Users\Username\Desktop folder

Eagle51, Jan 7, 2018
  15. Eagle51 Win User
    Eagle51, Jan 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer - Similar Threads - Cannot find Desktop

2. File Explorer with pc desktop icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer with pc desktop icons: i have always used File Explorer to open and use other folders, but now i only get devices.. i am using windows 11.. any help to go from one to the other, thanks...
  3. File Explorer with pc desktop icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer with pc desktop icons: i have always used File Explorer to open and use other folders, but now i only get devices.. i am using windows 11.. any help to go from one to the other, thanks...
  4. Not showing desktop folder icon in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Not showing desktop folder icon in File Explorer?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/RedPlammer [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/wmskhz/not_showing_desktop_folder_icon_in_file_explorer/
  5. File Explorer "cannot find" location of file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer "cannot find" location of file: This problem started just a few days ago: The app has its icon on the task bar but now defaults to Windows can't locate file...?. I can go C:\Programs Files x86...; click on .exe and even then I get same error msg., I can execute same approach on any other app and it works...
  6. File explorer cannot find files

in Cortana
    File explorer cannot find files: After the most recent update of Windows 10, File Explorer stopped working. I ran the troubleshooter and it did not find anything. I need to be able to find files. HELP!...
  7. File Explorer: File Count on Desktop Icon Possible?

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer: File Count on Desktop Icon Possible?: I think I might be looking at possibly having to write an app specifically for this, but I'm wondering if there's a way to display a file count on the Desktop Icon for a shortcut called Documents (obviously linked to the Documents folder)? Point being, in a public setting,...
  8. Hiding the Desktop Icon (Dropdown File Explorer)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hiding the Desktop Icon (Dropdown File Explorer): Hello everyone, Hereby I would like to ask all of you for help on a problem me and my colleague have been tackling for the past couple of days now. We just can't seem to be able to crack this one. Situation: We are setting up our new Citrix farm and preparing our new...
  9. system profile error cannot find the desktop icons

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    system profile error cannot find the desktop icons: I cannot find my icons on my desktop. I get a location C error message telling me that I need to locate it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-profile-error-cannot-find-the-desktop-icons/79003334-df84-4f5a-90ad-79cb1d365fdf
  10. Desktop and File Explorer icons gone

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop and File Explorer icons gone: Hello! I have readed some other posts about people who had the same problem as me, but none of those solutions worked for me. Basically today I booted up my computer and all of my icons are randomly gone, in File Explorer and on the desktop. I cannot go to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to locate desktop icon in file explorer