Windows 10: Cannot Format HD

Discus and support Cannot Format HD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a 4TB HD that was previously formatted that I've put into an external hd bay. When I go into Computer Management/Disk Management the hd is not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by hcour, Dec 4, 2015.

1. hcour Win User

Cannot Format HD

I have a 4TB HD that was previously formatted that I've put into an external hd bay. When I go into Computer Management/Disk Management the hd is not listed in the top section and in the bottom section it is split into 2048 GB and 1678 GB, both "Unallocated". I want to reformat the hd into one partition but the only available option when I right click the larger partition is "New Simple Volume" and for the smaller partition there are no options available at all. Nowhere does it give me the choice to delete everything or just reformat the entire drive.

:)

hcour, Dec 4, 2015

2. I had Win 10 as part of by buy of my Dell Inspiron 15.

I had to format the HD, the technician that effected the format left the machine with Win 7 and I cannot recover my payd win 10.

Any help?

# Flavio Musa de Freitas Guimaraes, Dec 4, 2015
  3. How to remove Windows 7 License Key, once the PC is upgraded to Windows 10.

You can delete it by formatting the HD. You cannot use it on another machine until it is removed from the current machine

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Dec 4, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Cannot Format HD

Need to initialize it as GPT disk type with HD > 2TB:
    From Admin command prompt:
    • diskpart
    • list disk =====> Take a note of disk # for the 4TB HD
    • select disk # ====> From step 2
    • clean
    • exit
    Open Disk Management and initialize the disk as GPT, create simple then format.

topgundcp, Dec 4, 2015
Thema:

Cannot Format HD

1. Cannot Format HD - Similar Threads - Cannot Format

2. cannot format or write to DVD RW Drive on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot format or write to DVD RW Drive on Windows 11: The Format option is missing from the right-click menu. Disks won't open, instead I get an error saying they need to be formatted first. After formatting the disk in another computer also using Windows 11 but it worked there I can open to see the disk is empty but cannot...
  3. cannot format or write to DVD RW Drive on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot format or write to DVD RW Drive on Windows 11: The Format option is missing from the right-click menu. Disks won't open, instead I get an error saying they need to be formatted first. After formatting the disk in another computer also using Windows 11 but it worked there I can open to see the disk is empty but cannot...
  4. Windows 11 default photos cannot open two files in webp format but with the file name...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 default photos cannot open two files in webp format but with the file name...: Note: The software here uses the "Photos" that comes with Windows 11, not the "Windows Photo Viewer"Replay scene:1. Name the two images in jpg format original1.jpg and original2.jpg, convert them into webp format, and then change the converted file suffix to .jpg, which is...
  5. Windows 11 default photos cannot open two files in webp format but with the file name...

Windows 11 default photos cannot open two files in webp format but with the file name...: Note: The software here uses the "Photos" that comes with Windows 11, not the "Windows Photo Viewer"Replay scene:1. Name the two images in jpg format original1.jpg and original2.jpg, convert them into webp format, and then change the converted file suffix to .jpg, which is...
  6. Cannot download and pc is slow/non responsive after format of drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot download and pc is slow/non responsive after format of drives: I just Formated all the drives on my pc and had it install windows on its own.After this i've tried to download several apps from google chrome but they just freeze mid download, except Steam. but when i launch the setup it freezes aswell mid download. if i try to launch...
  7. Cannot download and pc is slow/non responsive after format of drives

Cannot download and pc is slow/non responsive after format of drives: I just Formated all the drives on my pc and had it install windows on its own.After this i've tried to download several apps from google chrome but they just freeze mid download, except Steam. but when i launch the setup it freezes aswell mid download. if i try to launch...
  8. Cannot download and pc is slow/non responsive after format of drives

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. I want to format my sd card, but cannot do so because the external device I plugged it into...

I want to format my sd card, but cannot do so because the external device I plugged it into...: I want to format my sd card, but cannot do so because the external device I plugged it into registers as a usb and not sd card and therefore doesn't give me the option to format. What should I do?...
  10. I want to format my sd card, but cannot do so because the external device I plugged it into...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I want to format my sd card, but cannot do so because the external device I plugged it into...: I want to format my sd card, but cannot do so because the external device I plugged it into registers as a usb and not sd card and therefore doesn't give me the option to format. What should I do?...