Windows 10: Cannot get chmod to work

Discus and support Cannot get chmod to work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm embarrassed to be asking this, but I need to set /var/www/html and the scripts to have permissions of 775. The install of /var directory as ...... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rtcary, Feb 21, 2018.

1. rtcary Win User

Cannot get chmod to work

I'm embarrassed to be asking this, but I need to set /var/www/html and the scripts to have permissions of 775. The install of /var directory as

d---------. 4 root root 33 Feb 16 10:57 www

Why is this and what does it mean? If I try to change it or any of the directories/files with

chmod -775

nothing happens.

\rtc

P.S. How can I capture the screen and keystrokes so I can post them?

:)

rtcary, Feb 21, 2018

2. Delete "Read Only" File?

Sorry for the brief instruction.. was between offices using phone to post!!

you need to find the filename in question, which can be tricky on the command line..

for example, a file in Documents directory called test.txt would be

chmod +w MyDocs/.documents/test.txt

Not wonderfully intuitive..

Alternatively, you can do a general attack using a recursive set

chmod -R +w MyDocs/.documents

chmod -R +w MyDocs/.images

would set all files in the Documents and Images folder

cpitchford, Feb 21, 2018
  3. Delete "Read Only" File?

how lame.. i would expect the file manager to work

you can use

chmod +w filename

in an xterm to add write permissions..

cpitchford, Feb 21, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

Cannot get chmod to work

What are you doing this on your using linux cmds but your specs show windows 10?

Samuria, Feb 21, 2018
  5. What OS are you using?

When you run "chmod -755" (with the minus sign) you are removing permissions. If you want to change the permissions just do "chmod 755 <filename>".

Since www is owned by root you have to run this as root.

I recommend you get familiar with how file permissions work before running any sort of server connected to the Internet.

PolarNettles, Feb 21, 2018
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    He's running an Intell NUC, if that matters. Not familiar with that mini hardware. Intel® NUC

f14tomcat, Feb 21, 2018
  7. rtcary Win User
    OMG! Embarrassed is an under statement. If you come to Bend, OR I buy you a beer -- how about a pitcher.

\rtc

rtcary, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Cannot get chmod to work

1. Cannot get chmod to work - Similar Threads - Cannot chmod

2. I cannot sign in to my school account with my district computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot sign in to my school account with my district computer: This morning I had no problems signing in with my new password but now I cant sign in. I have checked like 100 times that I put everything correctly. I tried to do the password reset but they keep saying authentication failed which does not match up because I took a...
  3. I cannot sign in to my school account with my district computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cannot sign in to my school account with my district computer: This morning I had no problems signing in with my new password but now I cant sign in. I have checked like 100 times that I put everything correctly. I tried to do the password reset but they keep saying authentication failed which does not match up because I took a...
  4. Cannot run 'yslzmsearealinstaller-x64.exe' on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot run 'yslzmsearealinstaller-x64.exe' on Windows 10: Hi, can someone help me? I am trying to install a specific app on my computer, it is a Windows 10 64-bit. But for some reason, I am unable to open it, when I try, it says:'Are you sure you want this app to make changes to your device? Life MakeoverDeveloper: Archosaur...
  5. Cannot run 'yslzmsearealinstaller-x64.exe' on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot run 'yslzmsearealinstaller-x64.exe' on Windows 10: Hi, can someone help me? I am trying to install a specific app on my computer, it is a Windows 10 64-bit. But for some reason, I am unable to open it, when I try, it says:'Are you sure you want this app to make changes to your device? Life MakeoverDeveloper: Archosaur...
  6. Cannot run 'yslzmsearealinstaller-x64.exe' on Windows 10

7. My Windows Defender is seems like gone, and I cannot open any of the security center

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Windows Defender is seems like gone, and I cannot open any of the security center: I try to installed games which is not comes from steam or any stores, and after that I realized that the defender is gone, I try to get it back without removing all my games and apps in my laptop but it's seems not work. I cannot open the Windows Security Center or the Virus...
  8. My Windows Defender is seems like gone, and I cannot open any of the security center

My Windows Defender is seems like gone, and I cannot open any of the security center: I try to installed games which is not comes from steam or any stores, and after that I realized that the defender is gone, I try to get it back without removing all my games and apps in my laptop but it's seems not work. I cannot open the Windows Security Center or the Virus...
  9. My Windows Defender is seems like gone, and I cannot open any of the security center

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  10. My Wi-Fi driver cannot start with a Code 10 and then a Code 45, and I keep getting a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Wi-Fi driver cannot start with a Code 10 and then a Code 45, and I keep getting a...: I cannot use my Wi-Fi for some reason. I'm getting the following errors in Device Manager with my Wi-Fi adapter: "This device cannot start. Code 10 {Operation Failed} The requested operation was unsuccessful." and then "Currently, this hardware device is connected to the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 chmod not working