Windows 10: Cannot get computer to sleep or shut down after upgrading to Win 10

Discus and support Cannot get computer to sleep or shut down after upgrading to Win 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Getting a strange problem on my HP desktop (p7 1126s) Pulled it out of storage, it was running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. It was working fine, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Wooohah, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Wooohah Win User

Cannot get computer to sleep or shut down after upgrading to Win 10

Getting a strange problem on my HP desktop (p7 1126s) Pulled it out of storage, it was running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. It was working fine, it was just really slow (as I remebered it).
    I decided to upgrade to Windows 10.

I used the Media Creation tool and made a bootable USB and installed Windows 10. I did not do an in place upgrade.
    I ran windows updates and windows store updates.

However, I cannot get the computer to shut down or go to sleep. If I go into windows and choose shut down or sleep, the screen will simply turn off. However the hard drive and the fans will still be spinning.
    I cannot resume it from "sleep" unless I do a hard shut down of the computer (Sometimes I need to try a few times...)

I've tried turning off Fastboot/ sleep. But doing that doesn't fix anything, I cant shut down the computer.
    I've even tried just reinstalling it again.

I've read that this was a rather common problem back in 2014/15... Considering this is a older PC (from... 2012?) Doesn't seem unlikely I would run into this problem.

anyone got any suggestions? Thanks!

:)

Wooohah, Feb 25, 2017

2. Fix Windows 10 Power issues

I am using Win 10 and since I installed this upgrade I've had problems when the computer goes to sleep inspite of my setting the display to shut off after 2 hrs and for the computer to NEVER sleep it does so after an extended time (a few hours or so) besides
    this problem I cannot get it to wake up no matter what I do, the only way to access it is to reboot each time it does this.

Derrick Young, Feb 25, 2017
  3. Laptop HP Probook 4530s fails to go into Hibernation or Switch off - only goes into Sleep mode after Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade

Hi,

After upgrading to Win 10 from Win 7, the laptop works normally.

But - when I finish work and set it to Hibernate or Shut down - it goes into Sleep mode.

It restarts always from this Sleep mode.

The only way to force a shut down is to take out the batteries for a few seconds and then reinstall.

Otherwise the Laptop is working fine.

Any advice appreciated.

Tomar

ArvindTomar, Feb 25, 2017
  4. Cannot get computer to sleep or shut down after upgrading to Win 10

Wooohah,

Try right-clicking the Windows key and selecting: Device Manager

Check (update) the Audio and the Video drivers.

cottonball, Feb 25, 2017
Thema:

Cannot get computer to sleep or shut down after upgrading to Win 10

1. Cannot get computer to sleep or shut down after upgrading to Win 10 - Similar Threads - Cannot computer sleep

2. [WIN10] Sleep shuts down computer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    [WIN10] Sleep shuts down computer: Hi,When I click the sleep option in the power tab in the start menu, my computer acts as if its sleeping, but when I go to turn on my computer again, even after 1-2 minutes, it boots up again as if it had been shut down.I have a ASUS GL552VW, with Processor IntelR CoreTM...
  3. [WIN10] Sleep shuts down computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [WIN10] Sleep shuts down computer: Hi,When I click the sleep option in the power tab in the start menu, my computer acts as if its sleeping, but when I go to turn on my computer again, even after 1-2 minutes, it boots up again as if it had been shut down.I have a ASUS GL552VW, with Processor IntelR CoreTM...
  4. [WIN10] Sleep shuts down computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Computer turns on immediately after sleep and shut down

Computer turns on immediately after sleep and shut down: I've been having this issue for a while now, so I don't really remember what is the start of it. But whenever I turn off or put my computer in sleep mode, it turns right back on. I've actually just got done doing a complete system reset on my pc, but still having the same...
  6. cannot shut down computer

cannot shut down computer: New computer - Asus Prime Z390 - A motherboard, intel LGA1151 processor, 16 gb ram, new ss hd w/ fresh windows 10 installed. I run troubleshooter for power, internet connections, windows 10 etc. Unchecked fast start up - reviewed numerous help forums - tried everything...
  7. Computer shutting down unexpectedly (after upgrade)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer shutting down unexpectedly (after upgrade): Win 7 Desktop upgraded to Win 10 on 25-July. All was well until 9-Aug and 10-Aug when computer has shut down unexpectedly. In Reliability Monitor it shows (Windows) Photos stopped working on both days. Then after the crash the monitor shows Windows was not properly shut down,...
  8. Computer restarts after clicking shut down or sleep after W10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer restarts after clicking shut down or sleep after W10 upgrade: First I want to apologize if this post is in the wrong section, I have never used these forums before. I have also searched around for answers to my issue but none seem to have the same problem. So here we go, mind that I just upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday and the problems...
  9. Computer refuses to shut down or sleep.

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer refuses to shut down or sleep.: Hey everybody! I've found these forums to be a tremendous help with other troubleshooting issues I've had in the past. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help me out again! Anyway, the problem is that the whenever I shut down my computer, there's a very short delay...
  10. Sleep Just Shuts Down Computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep Just Shuts Down Computer: Hello. After I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, my sleep feature quit working properly. There was a point in time a couple months back it did work, but since I hardly use it I didn't notice a problem. Recently I decided I'd start using it, and that's when I noticed...