Windows 10: Cannot get into safe mode

Discus and support Cannot get into safe mode in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; you already said that F8 returned you to a flashing cursor Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ymiaw, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Kyhi Win User

Cannot get into safe mode

you already said that F8 returned you to a flashing cursor

2. ymiaw Win User

F8 after F5 or F12 brought me to a black screen. The flashing cursor screen is what comes up before the black screen.

However with msconfig, I can set it up so that it will automatically boot into safe mode without needing to press anything. Is there functionality like that in WinPE?

ymiaw, Jun 10, 2016
  3. Kyhi Win User
    type in msconfig in PE and see if show windows 10 OS

or you could go through the process of removing the video driver from the off-line image using dism while booted into PE

4. ymiaw Win User

Just a small update to say that I have tried the dism thing, as well as done some more chkdsk calls (which actually found bad sectors to fix this time), but the situation has not become better. MSconfig of course doesn't show up either.

Going to somehow get a new GPU to test if that's the problem. Would be ridiculous if it is, not to mention intensely time wasting, but at this point I think I'm more willing to reset anyway than to continue trucking on--could've spent these three days just reinstalling everything and resuming with life, but what do you know I guess.

Edit: It wasn't the problem.

ymiaw, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot get into safe mode - Similar Threads - Cannot safe mode

2. Cannot exit safe mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cannot exit safe mode: Hi, today while i was editing something in adobe photoshop the program stopped working and while y was trying to close it everything just frozed and my monitor turned black, i waited like 15 minutes and forced it to turn off, when i turned it back on it just entered safe mode...
  3. Cannot login, cannot get to safe mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot login, cannot get to safe mode: When I booted my Windows 10 laptop this morning it went into a disk repair mode. Since then I cannot login. I get to the login screen, type in my password, and the little dots just spin. I've tried multiple ways to get to boot in safe mode or to get to repair mode and each...
  4. Cannot boot into safe mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot boot into safe mode: Hello. When I turn my computer on, it tells me it has run into a problem and needs to restart. It gives me this error code: BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO it then restarts and attempts to self-repair and invariably fails. I have tried all methods of booting into safe mode available...
  5. cannot get out of windows safe mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    cannot get out of windows safe mode: pressed the get button nothing happens https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-get-out-of-windows-safe-mode/ee25ffc3-49e3-4ab4-8208-221cb9bef4ec
  6. Cannot log into Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot log into Safe Mode: Since last WIN10 update my programs have been running slow. I tried to use performance software and my laptop just stopped. I restarted. It booted just fine and performance software asked if I wanted to boot in Safe Mode since it didn’t run prior. I said yes. However on...
  7. Cannot exit safe mode.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot exit safe mode.: I somehow managed to lock myself into safe mode. I restart and I am back in safe mode. I always logged in with a PIN but the safe mode won't let me and is asking me for my local password which I do not know....
  8. Cannot reboot to get to safe mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot reboot to get to safe mode: Need to reboot to open safe mode https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_menu/cannot-reboot-to-get-to-safe-mode/daf5089b-968f-4cbd-94ea-75a03076d82f
  9. Cannot enter safe mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot enter safe mode: Hi, My Asus laptop is stuck in a startup repair loop while trying to fix error 0x80070091, I've tried following things: Use this guide: Startup Repair Infinite Loop Recovery - Windows 7 Help Forums Use the option 'reset this pc' and tried to use 'system recovery' but all...
  10. Cannot get out of Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot get out of Safe Mode: I was having difficulty with flashing and went into safe mode to try to figure out which program was causing it but now whenever I reboot I am still in Safe Mode. 18939