Windows 10: Cannot get Long Filenames / directory names to work

Discus and support Cannot get Long Filenames / directory names to work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi folks Anybody been able to get long file names / directory names to work Particularly annoying when downloading music. tagging and copying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Dec 9, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Cannot get Long Filenames / directory names to work

Hi folks

Anybody been able to get long file names / directory names to work

Particularly annoying when downloading music. tagging and copying Music

For example this downloaded from BBC R3 (classical music) -- LEGAL BTW !! works fine when I download on Linux server but Windows W10 Pro X-64 truncates target directory to ~ (the tilde sign) together with 8 seemingly random characters.

Here's the source file name from BBC

Cannot get Long Filenames / directory names to work [​IMG]

With large TB disk sizes now it's about time windows fixed the max directory + file length to Bigger than 255 chars.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Dec 9, 2017

2. old methods for trailing periods no longer apply

Using wildcards (the win7 trick) or \\?\ to permit deletion of files and directories whose names end with a period no longer works. It is no longer possible to traverse, modify, delete or otherwise administrate a filename or directory created with an invalid
    name.

Sir Schmidty, Dec 9, 2017
  3. Windows Media Player not working

The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Newandapproved, Dec 9, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

cereberus, Dec 9, 2017
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    @cereberus

Thanks for the info
    Unfortunately that doesn't work - and it's a pain if I have to re-arrange several TB of directories plus their backups.

For example I have some Long directory structures currently :

Cannot get Long Filenames / directory names to work [​IMG]

I'm really surprised Ms hasn't addressed this issue -- this makes Windows Streaming music for me unuseable --note I quite like Windows for other things but this is a "Royal Pain in the you know where").

Android devices have no problem with this type of structure.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot get Long Filenames / directory names to work - Similar Threads - Cannot Long Filenames

2. Cannot delete file with long name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot delete file with long name: So I accidentally dragged something from a browser to my desktop which created the following file name:"data...
  3. Cannot delete file with long name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete file with long name: So I accidentally dragged something from a browser to my desktop which created the following file name:"data...
  4. Error:0x8007007b the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error:0x8007007b the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect....: please help when i am trying to activate this is coming=Error:0x8007007b the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. SWbemObjectExi tried sfc /scannow and MAK still didnt work....
  5. Error:0x8007007b the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error:0x8007007b the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect....: please help when i am trying to activate this is coming=Error:0x8007007b the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. SWbemObjectExi tried sfc /scannow and MAK still didnt work....
  6. Long Filenames After Backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Long Filenames After Backup: I had to reinstall Windows 10 after a serious crash. When I retrieved my backed up files from an external hard drive, they all have extra date/time data added to the name. Why? Example: Demos and Tutorials 2019_12_20 22_38_43 UTC.pdf...
  7. How to delete a file with long filename dir /x to get 8.3 file name doesn't work

How to delete a file with long filename dir /x to get 8.3 file name doesn't work: I cannot delete a file with a long filename, the standard technique find the 8.3 filename with DIR /X doesn't work.DIR /x yields05/01/2021 08:08 AM 487,828 MAN Manu Koenig - I am elated that the Nissan dealership on 41st Ave has been canceled. The...
  8. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect

The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect: Whenever I boot my computer a pop up appears saying 'The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect'. This is the error shown: [ATTACH]...
  9. Long filenames not truncating on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Long filenames not truncating on desktop: Hello! Here is the issue. When i select a file located on desktop, there isn't a grid space limit applied to the text, the filename is entirely displayed despite its length, what makes long texts overlap icons below. The only way to truncate the filename again is selecting...
  10. cdm won't copy directories with long names

in Windows 10 Support
    cdm won't copy directories with long names: Hi. I am hoping someone knows a cmd string that will allow me to copy a desktop folder and its subfolders, or at least the files within, to an external drive on a laptop that crashed with what looks like a bad mother board and it will no longer boot to Windows. I have two...