Windows 10: Cannot get the recovery USB drive to boot or the USB installation USB

Discus and support Cannot get the recovery USB drive to boot or the USB installation USB in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have just installed the free windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 home premium. I have used the file history program to create a USB and a DVD recovery... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Solution42, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Cannot get the recovery USB drive to boot or the USB installation USB

I have just installed the free windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 home premium. I have used the file history program to create a USB and a DVD recovery disk prior to creating a system image ( not done yet ) I tried to test the recovery but it does not boot the system. The system just continues to boot the Win 10 update. I have changed the boot order by using advanced options to get into the bios. I have put USB key in position 1 and USB cd/dvd in position 2. my System is a Samsung lap top RC530 with Legacy Bios. How can I check my recovery disks USB and DVD. The system just continues to boot as normal. The recovery disks completed ok with no error messages when creating.

when I press esc after pressing the power button all I see is the choice of the 2 internal devices CD/DVD and HDD.
    I have set all my usb devices in boot order above these two but the USB is shown as NA.
    I am using 64 GB USB 3.0 drive. Note though my computer only has USB 2 ports no USB 3.
    I have also used Media Creation tool to create a Windows 10 installation media. It still failed to recognise the drive as a boot device. The Lap top can read the USB drive ok though just not boot from it.
    Also the creation process formatted my 64GB drive as FAT32 and is now only 32 GB in size. I tried to reformat it NTFS but it is still only 32 GB now. ??????

Thanks for any help.

:)

Solution42, Aug 17, 2015

2. Windows 10 on safe mode doesn't accept my password

You have to do what I did. My HP recovery drive would not install Windows 10 either from the hard drive or from the recovery image on a USB drive. Down load Window 10 install ISO from MS. Use a computer with Windows 7, use the Microsoft tool, ISO to USB,
    (download from MS). Write the install image to the USB drive using the tool. Boot the computer you want to install Windows 10 back on from the USB drive. I had to hold down the Escape key when booting to get to the boot menu. Select the USB drive from the
    boot menu.

L. ToddCampbell, Aug 17, 2015
  3. Recovery USB drive created by Windows 10 produces wdf_violation

I have followed all the steps to create a USB recovery drive for Windows 10. I get a Successfully Created message from the OS. When I then attempt to boot from the USB drive, the boot process does begin, but I eventually get a message stating there is a
    wdf_violation and the it cannot continue. That's it, no other message or error code.

Any help?

PhilWinegardner, Aug 17, 2015
  4. Harpert Win User

Cannot get the recovery USB drive to boot or the USB installation USB

Hi,

there are a number of things that can go wrong.
    Are you sure that the recovery program creates a bootable drive / disk?
    Have you tried to create a System Repair Disk already?
    When you are able to start from the System Repair Disk, there is most likely something wrong with the way the USB recovery stick is created.
    Have you tried to use the USB disk in another PC (just to see if it's bootable?)
    My best guess is that the USB disk was not created properly.

Good luck

Harpert, Aug 17, 2015
  5. Thanks for your reply.
    I have done the creation many times following the procedures on this forum and microsoft page.
    It did work once when I created it without ticking the system file box. only 512mb used. and it took me to the file recovery tools which is all I need to do. But it only did it once. out of about 30 plus attempts. I have completed an image and file backup on a external HDD. The Windows 10 is operating fine I like it but I need to be able to access image restore incase any thing goes wrong. This it will not do even after using media creation tool to make a windows 10 installation USB.

Solution42, Aug 17, 2015
  6. I have solved the problem. I updated the Bios with an app from Samsung and all appears good now. The system now recognises my external boot devices and can boot from Them. My 64 Gb USB drive is now 64 Gb again LOL I found a tutorial on the net and used command prompt to repartition it. Thanks to all.

Solution42, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Cannot get the recovery USB drive to boot or the USB installation USB

1. Cannot get the recovery USB drive to boot or the USB installation USB - Similar Threads - Cannot recovery USB

2. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery: I'll try to be as clear as possible even though English is not my mother tongue. I installed last night windows 10 64bit to my HP Pavilion 15-b109so, which originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled. I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows and also to install Prime OS, so...
  3. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery: I'll try to be as clear as possible even though English is not my mother tongue. I installed last night windows 10 64bit to my HP Pavilion 15-b109so, which originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled. I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows and also to install Prime OS, so...
  4. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery: I'll try to be as clear as possible even though English is not my mother tongue.I installed last night windows 10 64bit to my HP Pavilion 15-b109so, which originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled.I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows and also to install Prime OS, so I...
  5. Cannot boot Win10 Recovery USB

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot boot Win10 Recovery USB: I have a HP laptop that will not boot, and I cannot get it to boot to the win10 recovery USB USB boot works - can boot to Ubuntu Live USB and works fine. Tried creating USB with Windows Media Tool Tried creating UEFI (GPT) and BIOS(MBR) USB with Rufus Tried booting all...
  6. USB Recovery Drive

USB Recovery Drive: I have an ACER computer that was updated from Windows 7 to 10 when the update was still free. The updates are up to date except for the 2H20. I was trying to make a USB Recovery Drive. I tried to follow the directions I could find on the web. After finding and opening...
  7. usb recovery drive

usb recovery drive: have tried to re install windows 10 from usb recovery drive a number of times, reaches approx. 50% and fails. on entering command prompt window, have message that there is not enough disk space to complete command. I thought all files would be wiped from disk and new windows...
  8. Usb Recovery Drive

Usb Recovery Drive: Hi My pc won't boot and i create a usb recovery drive from my laptop. I plug the recovery flash drive to my pc and able to boot it up. I tried to access the system restore and it shows a couple of restore points. My question is does these restore points from my desktop...
  9. USB recovery drive

USB recovery drive: Windows 10 , create recovery drive, is requesting I insert at least a 32 gb usb drive yet when recovery drive is complete [with system files] windows only used 11 gb. This is not necessarily a problem except I have several extra 16 gb usb drives which I would like to use....
  10. USB recovery boot drive won't boot

USB recovery boot drive won't boot: I wasn't sure which forum to put this into. I created a backup image on a usb hard drive. I wanted to be able to restore it using a usb recovery thumb drive. I used the create usb recovery tool and created the recovery flash drive. When I try to boot from the flash drive I...