Windows 10: Cannot install/preview any fonts at all

Discus and support Cannot install/preview any fonts at all in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, there seems to be some sort of issue. I tried Google for this and found absolutely no solution. Basically, I cannot seem to install any new fonts... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Lancast, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Lancast Win User

Cannot install/preview any fonts at all

Hi, there seems to be some sort of issue. I tried Google for this and found absolutely no solution.
    Basically, I cannot seem to install any new fonts at all. Any font I try to install or preview, I will get a message saying "Not a valid font". Now here's the strange part, if I click to view a font from the /windows/fonts/ folder, it lets me view it of course but if I copy that font outside that location, like to my desktop, I will again get the same error, "Not a valid font". I tried logging on the built-in Administrator account as well to see if maybe I could do it from there, but no, same error.
    Anyone knows how to fix this?

:)

Lancast, Jul 30, 2015

2. TFF fonts in Windows 10

I have installed a tff font in to my font folder but when I previewed it, all I saw was the first letter and a bunch of boxes. I need to use this font in Photoshop and I am totally frustrated that I am having this many problems just trying to use a font.
    The Open Type fonts install great but not the tff fonts.

I would greatly appreciate any help that some one can give me

Barbara LMcCarron, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Frogen Win User
    Cannot install fonts Win10 Pro 64bit

Since updating from Win7Pro to Win10pro, I cannot install any new fonts. I can view fonts already installed and the ones I am trying to install, but when I try to install a new font, a window flashes briefly and goes away. No error message.

I've tried:

right-click install

right-click install as shortcut

drag to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Fonts

I've double clicked and can preview - Install button visible and clicked install

drag to windows\fonts folder

All produce same result - momentary window and font not installing

I was able to capture part of the window with a screen shot. Took several tries because it disappears so quickly.

Cannot install/preview any fonts at all [​IMG]

UAC is set to Notify only when Apps...

Firewall is on

Tried with AV on and off.

Tried with Firewall off

Frogen, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Lancast Win User

Okay, I seem to have fixed it myself, however I would like someone please who knows more about this to explain to me why exactly this was causing the issue.

Basically, I went into the Event Viewer and saw two errors, one that had "font" name in it. It said something about Firewall. Screenshot below:

i.imgur.com/YeCfqU0.png

Now, I have Windows Firewall disabled completely because I'm using another Firewall. I went into services.msc, I enabled Windows Firewall, and boom, everything works, I can install/preview any fonts again. Now, I have disabled the windows firewall, but yet I can still install fonts and preview them.

This is not the first time this has surprised me. Yesterday somehow randomly my search bar(next to windows button) stopped working, I went into Event Viewer, it said something about Firewall, so I enabled it in services, and search bar worked again.

Can somehow explain to me please why exactly is Windows Firewall affecting so many things? I never had that issue in Windows 7.

Lancast, Jul 30, 2015
  5. x0rsw1tch Win User
    Just ran into the same issue trying to install Source Code Pro, the Adobe font. I had windows firewall disabled as well.

Enabled it, started it up and the fonts installed right away.

x0rsw1tch, Jul 31, 2015
  6. scott00 Win User
    I am having this problem also, but only with some rare Chinese fonts. These fonts have worked on all past (otherwise English run) Windows computers of mine. I would like to try this fix, but even after disabling NIS Smart Firewall, I am unable to change anything. See screenshot attached. Almost nothing on that page is clickable. It is the same with and without the Norton Firewall enabled.
    Cannot install/preview any fonts at all [​IMG]

According to someone on the Norton forums, "The only way activate the Windows Firewall is to uninstall any third-party firewall." I don't really want to go that route if I don't have to.
    Any suggestions?

scott00, Aug 31, 2015
  7. john54 Win User
    I have exactly the same problem as above.Working with Photoshop,Illustrator and several other graphics programs I need to install or at least temporary open tens of different fonts.And I can't.I am stucked and one step from returning to Windows 7.Is it really no way to fix this problem?

john54, Oct 18, 2015
  8. Mac6941 Win User

I was able to drag the fonts to my desktop from the download folder, then either drag into fonts folder or right click and click on install. Fonts installed fine from the desktop. Did not have to disable firewall.

Mac6941, Jan 29, 2016
  9. Scoox Win User
    You misread the above posts: strangely, the solution was not to disable the firewall but to actually ENABLE it! One would have thought disabling the firewall would result in fewer usability constraints and yet it does not. The same thing happens when you disable UAC in W10 in the Registry (EnableLUA=0 hack), all the "modern apps" don't work at all, which is absurd, frustrating and pathetic.

Scoox, May 14, 2016
  10. Are there any other solutions to this problem? My firewall is enabled. I tried restarting the firewall but I still cant install any fonts.

blacksunshine, Aug 8, 2016
  11. I think You installed Windows 10 1607 Update.

1. Uninstall Windows Update (KB4019472).
    2. Disable Windows Update Service on services.msc
    3. Restart Windows.

Hyunjin Yun, May 31, 2017
  12. iamrusso Win User
    Do you happen to by any chance be using Print Audit? I have this exact same problem and found that this was the cause after that KB was installed.

If not you may have another conflict, open MSCONFIG and disable all non microsoft services. Restart and test again *Smile

iamrusso, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot install/preview any fonts at all - Similar Threads - Cannot install preview

2. Cannot preview fonts without computer flashing black

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot preview fonts without computer flashing black: I am unable to preview a truetype font before installing it on Windows 11. After clicking preview on a font in windows explorer my desktop background turns black, the taskbar disappears, then the whole screen flashes black before taking me back to the desktop. When it takes...
  3. Cannot preview fonts without computer flashing black

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot preview fonts without computer flashing black: I am unable to preview a truetype font before installing it on Windows 11. After clicking preview on a font in windows explorer my desktop background turns black, the taskbar disappears, then the whole screen flashes black before taking me back to the desktop. When it takes...
  4. Cannot install fonts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot install fonts: So, a few months ago I figure out how to install custom fonts. So I go and download some and try to install them. The first time I try to install a font, it works fine. The font appears in my font list. The second time I try, it works fine also. But when I try to install a...
  5. Cannot install fonts

Cannot install fonts: So, a few months ago I figure out how to install custom fonts. So I go and download some and try to install them. The first time I try to install a font, it works fine. The font appears in my font list. The second time I try, it works fine also. But when I try to install a...
  6. Delete all user-installed fonts but keep all default windows fonts

Delete all user-installed fonts but keep all default windows fonts: Dear all,Recently, I installed over 500 fonts on my windows 10. For a reason, I like to delete all of them. I want to delete all fonts that I installed and keep the fonts that came with windows installation.I know how to uninstall a font, but I can't read and find every 500...
  7. Delete all user-installed fonts but keep all default windows fonts

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Delete all user-installed fonts but keep all default windows fonts: Dear all,Recently, I installed over 500 fonts on my windows 10. For a reason, I like to delete all of them. I want to delete all fonts that I installed and keep the fonts that came with windows installation.Please Guide me as it’s an essential issue for me.Best Regards...
  8. Not a valid font file font cannot be installed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not a valid font file font cannot be installed: I downloaded paid this font from my phone's theme store and i decided to install it to my windows 10 laptop but a window kept popping out saying "its not a valid font file". I've tried dragging it into the personalization windows, use online converter... none of it works. The...
  9. Is there any way to bulk install fonts?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there any way to bulk install fonts?: Gee, thanks Billy, for making 10 completely useless. I want to install my font library, but I can't, UNLESS I install them ONE AT A TIME! Who is the moron who though that THAT was a good idea?! Yes, I really want to spend God Knows how long to manually install 2805 fonts,...
  10. Can't preview any font in Windows 10 recent install

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't preview any font in Windows 10 recent install: Hi, I have this horrible problem, whenever I double click on a ttf or otf font file (not installed one) I get the error "...is not a valid font file". I have read around these forums and inet in general, and people is solving this activating Windows Firewall or updating...