Windows 10: cannot install to either GPT or MBR

Discus and support cannot install to either GPT or MBR in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a weird problem I made an ISO from a 10532 upgrade to install it on to another pc and here is what happens. Windows cannot be installed to this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by qldaussie, Sep 5, 2015.

1. qldaussie Win User

cannot install to either GPT or MBR

I have a weird problem
    I made an ISO from a 10532 upgrade to install it on to another pc and here is what happens. Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style. OK, so I change my disk to MBR and get the same problem only this time it tells me the selected disk is of the MBR style. Either way it won't install
    What do I do now????*Drink1 ?

:)

qldaussie, Sep 5, 2015

2. how to make gpt disk

You cannot make room for a GPT disk.

The entire hard drive would either be of MBR type or GPT Type.

I guess you are having the HD of GPT type partition while you are booting from MBR type USB drive.

Make the installation media again and select GPT partition scheme for UEFI in Rufus.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-create...

Sumit Dhiman2, Sep 5, 2015
  3. qinada Win User
    Windows Installation

On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks. If you use MBR disk, you will receive this error message: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. You can convert MBR to GPT and try it again.

qinada, Sep 5, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Sep 5, 2015
  5. qldaussie Win User
    Thanks for fast reply. I like to install it as a dual boot on my machine

qldaussie, Sep 5, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 5, 2015
  7. qldaussie Win User
    cannot install to either GPT or MBR [​IMG]
    took me a wile to figure it out

qldaussie, Sep 5, 2015
  8. qldaussie Win User

Did I do something wrong?

qldaussie, Sep 5, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Which drive letter are your trying to install build 10532 on?

From what I see you should be able to install it using Legacy BIOS on D or G. You won't be able to use UEFI installation media.

I can't see the size of F, but if that's 102 MB, then it won't be large enough.

Brink, Sep 5, 2015
  10. qldaussie Win User
    Yes it is "G" I want to install on. I even tried "C". My new laptop is original UEFI system but I changed the drive to MBR. So I boot from the DVD and it says my disk is GPT style. Whatever I change it to it will tell me the opposite. I am lost, truly

qldaussie, Sep 5, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    How does it go if you delete G to leave it as "unallocated" space, then try to install Windows 10 on it using Legacy BIOS (not UEFI)?

Brink, Sep 5, 2015
  12. qldaussie Win User
    I will delete G and give that a go now

qldaussie, Sep 5, 2015
  13. qldaussie Win User

Deleted G to unallocated and tried to install 10532 to it and got Windows can't be installed on this drive. That is on Basic MBR
    Will now change to GPT and try again......will report soon

qldaussie, Sep 5, 2015
  14. qldaussie Win User
    Thanks Brink...Did what you said and all hell broke loose. Got a bit late last night here in Aussie Land so I had to stop
    So changed the disk to GPT and on trying to install windows got: cannot be installed to this disk, The selected disk is of the GPT partition style. ????. MBR rejected and GPT rejected. I think I have tested you patience enough and may have to give up on this. Should I reformat the lot and start fresh?

qldaussie, Sep 5, 2015
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Personally, I would format and start over. I think it will end up being faster for you.

Brink, Sep 6, 2015
Thema:

1. cannot install to either GPT or MBR - Similar Threads - cannot install either

2. MBR To GPT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MBR To GPT: Hello there!I have installed Windows 11 with a weird way I found on Youtube.Although my system supports all the specifications to run Windows 11 and I am stuck at the secure boot thing.I activated Secure Boot from my motherboard and now I have to run MBR2GPT.EXE and an error...
  3. MBR To GPT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MBR To GPT: Hello there!I have installed Windows 11 with a weird way I found on Youtube.Although my system supports all the specifications to run Windows 11 and I am stuck at the secure boot thing.I activated Secure Boot from my motherboard and now I have to run MBR2GPT.EXE and an error...
  4. Convert GPT to MBR

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Convert GPT to MBR: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,I want to convert GPT to MBR without data loss. Should I do using AOMEI partition assistant? Is it safe? Will it loss data? Will it damage HDD? Please give answer in detail....
  5. MBR to gpt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MBR to gpt: Hello I hAd installed the window but I didn't know this will cause problems later on I installed the window in MBR but later on when I install linux in dual boot it cause problems So how I do convert mbr to gpt without loss of data and...
  6. new installation gpt not mbr

in Windows 10 Customization
    new installation gpt not mbr: I have assembled a new desktop computer that has eufi bios. My existing computer on which I am writing this question is a Legacy bios how do I get a win10 installed on the new one, as the "Media Creation Tool" copy won't work. Thanks Keith...
  7. MBR/GPT

MBR/GPT: How do I convert a MBR 7200 RPM HDD to GPT so I can install 64bit Win 10 Home? I have a 2014 HP All-in - One I had upgraded to an SSD - two years later it failed (about 3 weeks ago. I bought a new SSD - It was a 3D Nand(?) drive. It worked for 2 days. then started...
  8. MBR or GPT ????

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MBR or GPT ????: hello, I had my 120GB SDD replaced by a 480GB one and made a clean install of win10 got an adapter to use the small SDD as an external backup disk I get a window demanding that I initialize the disk I do not have a clue what I should select...MBR or GPT ? *Huh I intend...
  9. GPT or MBR

GPT or MBR: Or MBR or GPT Asus laptop with 8.1 installed. One disk, 2 partitions. I've installed 10 a number of times, VM and dual boot on desktop. Went to install 10, dual boot. When I got to picking the partition, said "Cannot be installed, selected disk is of the MBR partition...
  10. MBR or GPT

MBR or GPT: Well I have to do my windows 10 over the right way, I thought I installed a clean install but apparently I didn't so I have instructions how to do it the right way. My question is back when I was having other issues with 10 it was mentioned about using GPT instead of the MBR....