Windows 10: Cannot install windows 10 on msi laptop

Discus and support Cannot install windows 10 on msi laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello I just bought a new laptop (msi) without an os. I bought, downloaded and burned on a dvd the windows 10. The installation of the windows on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Peindora, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Peindora Win User

Cannot install windows 10 on msi laptop

Hello I just bought a new laptop (msi) without an os. I bought, downloaded and burned on a dvd the windows 10. The installation of the windows on the new laptop goes smoothly until I'm asked Where to install the windows.
    It gives me 2 options:
    Drive 0 Partition 1: FREEDOS total size: 921.5gb Free space: 921.1gb Type: System
    Drive 0 partition 2: DriverCD total size: 10.0 gb Free space: 4.7gb Type: Primary
    the first partition has an error: Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. Windows must be installed to a partition formatted as NTFS.
    the second one doesn't have enough space.

I red on internet that I should delete/clean the hdd.

However the notice of "how to install drivers and os" that came with the laptop says:
    Caution: Do Not format/delete/modify [Driver CD] partition. MSI driver package will be affected/broken by those kinds of operations. MSI strongly recommend that user keep the Driver CD partition. Windows 8/8.1 still can be installed with BIOS default (Legacy mode). However, if you select UEFI mode in BIOS, must be delete all partitions then install Windows OS.

Ps. It's the very first time I install an OS. So I'm pretty much a noob in this.

:)

Peindora, Sep 13, 2017
  2. Michael Tus, Sep 13, 2017
  3. SAWrigley Win User
    Error message "Winpk Filter Driver is not installed or failed to load

I get this error at every Windows 10 launch. Prior questions on this site say it is an MSI program installed with an MSI motherboard.

My OLD motherboard WAS an MSI, but I replaced it with a Gigabit motherboard last summer. I UNINSTALLED the MSI software [I thought] and cannot find the Winpk Filter to uninstall it. Any suggestions?

SAWrigley, Sep 13, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Make a USB flash drive of Kyhi's Recovery Tools:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

I would recommend you use Macrium Reflect on it to save an image of the DriverCD partition only. Looks like it will fit on a 16 GB USB flash drive easily - and should be able to save it on the same flash drive you made of Kyhi's Recovery Tools if it was a 16 or 32 GB flash drive.

After you save the image of the DriverCD partition, then you can erase the entire laptop harddrive. I recommend the diskpart clean command. In a command prompt:
    diskpart
    select disk 0
    clean
    exit
    exit

Then you can install Windows 10 to the unallocated hard drive in either UEFI or Legacy mode.

NavyLCDR, Sep 13, 2017
Thema:

1. Cannot install windows 10 on msi laptop - Similar Threads - Cannot install msi

2. Cannot install msi files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot install msi files: I am having trouble installing files with the msi tag at the end. According to services whenever I try to run the windows installer service it gives me an error message and can not start. I am on a thinkpad and the operating system is windows. What would be the best approach...
  3. Cannot install msi files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot install msi files: I am having trouble installing files with the msi tag at the end. According to services whenever I try to run the windows installer service it gives me an error message and can not start. I am on a thinkpad and the operating system is windows. What would be the best approach...
  4. Cannot install .msi file in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot install .msi file in windows 11: i am trying to installl mysql-installer-community-8.0.32.0.msi but its showing there is no such app to install your file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-install-msi-file-in-windows-11/5a8d8c2b-6896-41b1-88d3-465ddced8d71
  5. Installing Windows 10 with OEM license on MSI laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing Windows 10 with OEM license on MSI laptop: I just bought a MSI Modern 15 laptop with no pre-instaleld OS, so now I want to install Windows 10 on it.I saw that there are 2 kinds of licenses, OEM and retail. Now, I would like to use a OEM license. The problem is that I read somewhere that to install Windows with a OEM...
  6. Installing Windows 10 with OEM license on MSI laptop

Installing Windows 10 with OEM license on MSI laptop: I just bought a MSI Modern 15 laptop with no pre-instaleld OS, so now I want to install Windows 10 on it.I saw that there are 2 kinds of licenses, OEM and retail. Now, I would like to use a OEM license. The problem is that I read somewhere that to install Windows with a OEM...
  7. Installing Windows 10 with OEM license on MSI laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. MSI files cannot install

MSI files cannot install: Hi, After the last failed (umpteen'th attempt from Microsoft) to update to Windows 10 Pro 1903 on my Lenovo T430 laptop running W10 Pro 1803 build 17134.1304 and again failing with "Failed to install on 21.07.?2020 - 0xc1900101", I suddenly cannot install MSI files. The...
  9. msi package cannot be installed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    msi package cannot be installed: When I try to install any msi-based program (in my case VirtualBox but also 7zip) I get following error messages: "the system could not open the specified device or file." and then "the installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a...
  10. Cannot use msi installer in Windows 10 1809

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot use msi installer in Windows 10 1809: Hi, I have just made a fresh, clean install of Windows 10 1809 Home edition. Then I tried to install a program which has an msi installer (LibreOffice) and I received the message: "The System Administrator Has Set Policies to Prevent This Installation" I googled a lot to...