Windows 10: cannot install Windows - driver missing

Discus and support cannot install Windows - driver missing in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; forgive me if i am asking something that has been answered but i checked the thread and couldn't see any answer that applied to me. I have a Dell... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by djrobison22, Jan 15, 2018.

1. cannot install Windows - driver missing

forgive me if i am asking something that has been answered but i checked the thread and couldn't see any answer that applied to me. I have a Dell Studio 1745 laptop running Insiders Preview build 17063. The day after creating my bootable build 17074 ISO using UUP2ISO and updating my laptop to build 17074 via Windows Update i got some nasty malware on my computer. Rather than toil with removing the malware I took the advice i read on one of the forums that suggested reinstalling Windows. Since i had not only a newly created ISO AND a 2 day old System Image created with Macrium Free and had not really done much between the update and the malware i decided to do that. So I booted up my laptop in Safe Mode and started Rufus and made the bootable USB Drive using the ISO which was stored on a seperate USB Backup drive, safely removed that USB Flash drive, restarted to change the boot order in BIOS, inserted the bootable USB Flash drive and restarted again to begin the installation on Insiders Preview build 17074. Then i got to the screen that asks where I want to install Windows. Usually i delete all the partitions listed until I have 0 Unallocated Space and click Next and the installation continues. Not this time. I am getting a message that says:

"We couldnt create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files." see screenshot below:

cannot install Windows - driver missing [​IMG]

I have no idea where the Setup log files would be as i just deleted all the existing partitions cant get to my System Image at this point so I clicked Next. I still got the same message. For some reason I thought I should try to Load Device Driver and when i clicked that I was prompted to insert the Installation Media with the devices driver and click ok. I inserted my Dell Drivers and Utilities disc that came with my laptop and eventually it found the SATA drivers it wanted, I clicked Next and got the same message.

I am not sure if the malware deleted or destroyed something or what but this has never happened and I have performed this exact sequence of steps with previous builds without a hiccup in the past. The only thing different this time is that my laptop has a current malware infection.

I could really use some guidance...

Thanks,

Danny R

:)

djrobison22, Jan 15, 2018

2. Missing wudfsvc.dll

The wudfsvc.dll is missing, hence "Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework" service cannot be started and I need it to use my UMDF driver. I tried resetting the OS, but it is still missing. Is it really intended to be missing on this version?
    Is there a way to install it? Thank you for your help!

Here is my Windows specification:

Edition: Windows 10 Home Single Language

Version: 1709

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Devices & drivers]

fightingsibuyas, Jan 15, 2018
  3. acpi controler asus eee pc 1015 px

Just installed Win10 on an ASUS eee pc 1015 px. Now I'm getting a pop-up window, "Missing ASUS ACPI Driver. Please install Asus ACPI Driver." I cannot find this driver anywhere. Help please cannot install Windows - driver missing :(

wjscott_ar, Jan 15, 2018
  4. Tony K Win User

cannot install Windows - driver missing

Hi there, @djrobison22.

You must set Rufus to GPT partition scheme.

Tony K, Jan 15, 2018
  5. topgundcp Win User
    From the screen shot, you did not delete any partition and in fact you have 1 partition (Disk 0 partition 1).
    Boot up Windows Installation disk again. On the first screen, press SHIFT+F10, a Command prompt will appear, enter:
    diskpart
    select disk 0
    clean
    exit
    exit

Then continue with the installation, select the unallocated partition (Disk 0) then click Next to continue (Do not format or create any partition)

topgundcp, Jan 16, 2018
  6. Yeah? Even though it is an old laptop? I dont recall seeing anything in the BIOS that would allow me to change it to UEFI Boot Mode unless that is not something i need to do.

I have done several Clean Installations on this laptop as an Insider and before and this has never come up. Is it odd that it is all of a sudden an issue?

That does lead me to another question....I have a VAIO All-In-One VPCL137FX that i am going to put an SSD in this week. I know from trying in the past that the only way I was able to get into the BIOS was with the Sony VCC suite of system tuners and managers and even then it was very limited and offered really nothing that I could tweak. I don't think it even allowed me to change the boot order! I have removed all of the VAIO bloatware. Am I going to have to change this MBR system to GPT as well? I have also done a few clean installations on this pc in the past without this coming up.

Thanks,

Danny R

djrobison22, Jan 16, 2018
  7. I actually created that partition you see in the screenshot. Initially, I deleted all existing partitions and there were none.

So, I will try this and I will also set Rufus to build the bootable usb drive using GPT partition scheme and will report back.

Thanks,

Danny R

8. Tony K Win User

My apology. I assumed it was UEFI. I see it's a Vista-vintage laptop. Is this it? Support for Studio 1745 | Manuals & documents | Dell US Doubt that it's UEFI if that's it. Checking the manual or BIOS is the only way to know for sure.

I see why you would with the virus, but I've never made an ISO with Rufus in safe mode. That may have an effect. Not sure.

So far as your all-in-one; Yes, it's probably a UEFI BIOS on that, so GPT scheme is the better choice. Please know that you may run with a MBR scheme, but GPT is a better choice.

topgundcp's choice of disk clean is better than just formatting if that's what you did. Letting windows create the needed partitions is best. However, there is a tutorial I can't seem to find right now that I'll post.

Tony K, Jan 16, 2018
  9. so I recreated the bootable usb drive enabling GPT partition scheme and my laptop doesnt even recognize the usb drive being inserted. I did change the boot order. One thing i noticed when Rufus was finished was that the File System was changed to FAT32 from NTFS as I had it previously set and checked before I started to burn this latest GPT enabled boot disc.

Should the File System be NTFS or FAT32?

Thanks,

Danny R

10. zbook New Member
    Were you able to open the BIOS and change Legacy to UEFI?

zbook, Jan 16, 2018
  11. So, should i create the disc for my laptop with GPT enabled or MBR as I always have done?

I think it may be that it was created in Safe Mode...not sure. Is it ok that I am creating the new usb disc on my other computer?

Lastly, should the File System always be NTFS or is it different with GPT enabled?

I am having a flashback to when i installed the SSD in this laptop that I wanted to convert to GPT and after alot of back and forth it was determined that my laptop does not support it. The SSD boots amazingly fast and reads and writes like lightning compared to the old hard disc drive i had in this machine!

D

12. There was no option to do so. I dont think it is possible with this laptop.

13. Tony K Win User

Hope you saw my last post about UEFI/GPT vs Legacy BIOS/MBR.

Yes, the install thumb should be in FAT32. What I do is format the drive in Windows selecting the default option for the thump. I label it EMPTY so not to confuse with any others I may have plugged in. When complete then run Rufus to manage selecting the correct options for your machine of course..

Tony K, Jan 16, 2018
  14. zbook New Member
    Please use a camera or smart phone camera to take pictures of the BIOS menus > post images into the thread (If there are problems posting images then use one drive or drop box share links.

zbook, Jan 16, 2018
  15. sn00ker Win User
    I'm curious when you deleted the partition did you by chance click the New option follow by apply ?

sn00ker, Jan 16, 2018
Thema:

1. cannot install Windows - driver missing - Similar Threads - cannot install driver

2. Cannot install drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot install drivers: I've been having issues with Bluetooth speakers and now AUX cable speakers and both times I've tried to uninstall the drivers and update them only to find out that Windows can find the drivers but cannot install them. I even tried downloading the install file and manually...
  3. Cannot install drivers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot install drivers: I've been having issues with Bluetooth speakers and now AUX cable speakers and both times I've tried to uninstall the drivers and update them only to find out that Windows can find the drivers but cannot install them. I even tried downloading the install file and manually...
  4. Cannot install drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Cannot install Windows: missing drivers and missing info in UI

Cannot install Windows: missing drivers and missing info in UI: Hello, I need to install Windows in a Dell G5 15 5587 Gaming Laptop Intel cpu and in a Lenovo Legion 5 Amd cpu but during the installation process some missing drivers are requested. I have spent many hours reading every result of my internet searches including...
  6. Cannot install 20H2 missing media driver?

Cannot install 20H2 missing media driver?: This post may be early. Downloaded Win 10 20H2 iso, installed it on a USB 2 key and as soon as it loads up the installation files, it's looking for a missing driver (media). Switching USB sockets make no difference (and older solution). How can I correct this? 166792
  7. Cannot install 20H2 missing media driver?

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot install 20H2 missing media driver?: This post may be early. Downloaded Win 10 20H2 iso, installed it on a USB 2 key and as soon as it loads up the installation files, it's looking for a missing driver (media). Switching USB sockets make no difference (and older solution). How can I correct this? 166792
  8. Windows 10 installation missing drivers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 installation missing drivers: So I recently tried installing windows 10 on a hardrive and I accidentally installed in on my so my hardrive got messed up so I had to install windows 10 on a usb flash drive. And I tried installing it on my pc but it always says “a media driver your computer needs is...
  9. Windows 10 installation missing drivers

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 installation missing drivers: Hello, Sorry for the long description, I have no experience with Windows so I might make something trivialy wrong. I'm trying to install Windows10 in an existing system (multi-boot). I have several disks including 2 NVMEs. On the NVME I use to boot Linux (UEFI) I made a...
  10. driver cannot be installed

driver cannot be installed: I have a windows 10 OS. Epson WF2760 Wireless printer. They have worked great for 4 months. I came back from holiday and now they are not working. No one has changed any settings and both items were left at home om the network. Both items are connected to the network and can...