Windows 10: Cannot install Windows to GPT partition

Discus and support Cannot install Windows to GPT partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 Pro installed on a partition of an SSD (one of four partitions; the other three being rather small and, I suppose, created by Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by THX1138, Feb 6, 2018.

1. THX1138 Win User

Cannot install Windows to GPT partition

I have Windows 10 Pro installed on a partition of an SSD (one of four partitions; the other three being rather small and, I suppose, created by Windows 10 itself during the previous installation procedure.

I attempted to reinstall Windows 10 to this partition but Windows gives an error message saying that it cannot be installed to this partition because it's GPT-style. How can it possible be, if Windows 10 cannot be installed to a GPT partition, that I have Windows presently installed on a GPT partition?

I want to install Windows without wiping the drive because I'd to have access to the Windows.old folder when I'm done.

:)

THX1138, Feb 6, 2018

2. Western Digital 3TB drive for windows 10

first thing for the boot drive is,

the motherboard BIOS / UEFI must support access to GPT HDDs

with MBR you cannot create a partition larger than 2TB nor can it be extended

when preparing the disk you must set it to GPT before creating partitions

when you start the installation you need to start with either a blank disk (no partitions) convert to GPT before creating partitions or continuing the installation

or prepared the disk in advance setting it as GPT and either creating partition(s) in advance or having windows do the partitioning during installation

also note x86 / 32-bit cannot be setup on or boot from GPT

GPT requires the x64 / 64-bit version

Locutus deBorg, Feb 6, 2018
  3. Carlos ST Win User
    DismHost.exe Windows 10

Windows cannot be installed to the disk. The Selected disk is of the GPT partition style.

Carlos ST, Feb 6, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, what are you trying to achieve?
    You can do an in-place upgrade repair install, which means replace all existing Windows system files with a new copy with no updates - this procedure is a good repair procedure and keeps all programs and data and most settings.

If that's what you want to achieve, you have to log in as normal, then run setup.exe from your mounted win 10 iso or from your Win 10 boot medium. This will create a new Windows.old.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Installation Upgrade Tutorials

If you want to clean install, you will have to delete existing partitions- that's a normal part of the procedure.
    Clean Install Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

The 4 partitions I assume you are seeing would be those for a normal UEFI installation.

dalchina, Feb 6, 2018
  5. THX1138 Win User
    I am experiencing BSODs and I cannot update my graphics drivers due to a bug (that NVIDIA forum couldn't help with) which tells me to restart my computer every time I try to update the driver (despite having restarted seconds before). I guess I'll try the repair install first. Boy do I hate reinstalling Windows and all my programs re-configuring all the settings. Thanks for your help.

THX1138, Feb 6, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    You're welcome. By all means try the repair install - but please first check your Windows version.
    Windows key + R, winver.

If you are using build 16299 (the Fall Creator's Update) then that's ok. Otherwise post back.

As you mention BSODs, there is a special forum section for that. I think you will end up posting there, focussing on that.

I can understand that - I have not reinstalled Windows on this PC since I bought it new with no OS about 2.5 years ago.

One excellent way to reduce the likelihood of doing that is to routinely use disk imaging. E.g. Macrium Reflect (free). We continually urge people to use disk imaging.

If something goes badly wrong- even if your disk fails- you can restore your image (to a new disk in that case) and have your PC back working as it was (assuming no other hardware failure). With a 3rd party (Laplink e.g.) program you can use your image to automatically install your programs and apply settings to a new installation. And you can simply take the image and restore it to a new PC- even if the hardware is different, that can work. There are other possibilities too.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot install Windows to GPT partition - Similar Threads - Cannot install GPT

2. Windows installation wouldn't create GPT partition.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows installation wouldn't create GPT partition.: Trying to install new hard drive on my laptop. I have a blank brand new 1 TB hard drive and partitioned as GPT Style partition. Downloaded the mediacreation tool for windows 10 and 11 and installed the boot disk on the blank HDD. When I try to install windows on my laptop, I...
  3. Windows installation wouldn't create GPT partition.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows installation wouldn't create GPT partition.: Trying to install new hard drive on my laptop. I have a blank brand new 1 TB hard drive and partitioned as GPT Style partition. Downloaded the mediacreation tool for windows 10 and 11 and installed the boot disk on the blank HDD. When I try to install windows on my laptop, I...
  4. Windows installation wouldn't create GPT partition.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style": [ATTACH] Hello everyone/anyone willing to help. I'll try to summarize everything as concisely as possible. (It'll be kinda all over the place sorry!) I have 3 storage drives. One 1TB SSD Samsung Evo 860, one Seagate 1TB HDD, and one 256GB M.2 SSD. The SSD I currently have...
  6. windows 10 cannot install to this GPT PARTITION DISK

windows 10 cannot install to this GPT PARTITION DISK: WINDOWS 10 cannot install to GPT partition style disk. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-cannot-install-to-this-gpt-partition/3e7db08c-e8fa-4435-a422-83948e1d86a0
  7. Cannot Reinstall Windows on GPT Partition

Cannot Reinstall Windows on GPT Partition: I need to reinstall Windows 10 on a partitioned hard drive. The hard drive has 8 partitions - I only care about the 1 partition that has my data on and I don't want to lose it during the install. Other partitions are where I had Windows originally installed, system recovery,...
  8. Installing Windows 10 on GPT partition

Installing Windows 10 on GPT partition: I've a Lenovo IdeaPad 110 Laptop which is currently running windows 10 on MBR partition. I want to do a clean install to change the partition type to GPT (My lap supports UEFI). How do i do that ?...
  9. windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk is of the GPT partition style

windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk is of the GPT partition style: I want to install win 10 to my ASUS Laptop but when i selected disk or partition, windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk is of the GPT partition style. How to install Win 10 in my Laptop, please and thank you ?...
  10. Can't Install Windows 10 to a GPT Partition

Can't Install Windows 10 to a GPT Partition: I'm pulling my hair out here. PROBLEM: Can't install Windows 10 x64 from an OEM disk ... to a Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb SSD ... on a GPT partition. It installs instead on a MBR partition. SPECS: Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 Bios version: F4 SSD: Samsung...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows cannot be installed on gpt partition ssd 860 evo